1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

ECollar Pressure Sore Prevention Tips?

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by MelonJ, Jan 16, 2020.

1. MelonJ

MelonJ Notable member

Me again!

So DeSoto’s been doing fabulously on ecollar. We use the Mini Educator and he serious gets excited when we put it on because he loves to work. Using the ecollar hasn’t been an issue until recently, and it’s not even about the use so much as the length of time we use it. It’s usually on for all waking hours (10 total I’d say?) because we are using it for both obedience and reinforcement of house manners/whining management. He does not nap or sleep with it on. Unfortunately it seems we were not rotating the collar often enough or had it too tight or both because we’ve noticed some hair loss and tiny red spots around the areas where the contact points touch the skin. We’d been rotating every 4 hrs like clockwork. We stopped use for 48hrs as suggested and the red spots are mostly gone with one or two of them scabbing off a bit. He’s not in pain, nor is he particularly itchy, thankfully. We’ve treated them a bit with Neosporin.

So my questions are:

For those of you that train all day using ecollars, or have dogs that wear bark collars when you’re working out of the house (not that we use bark collars but I figure its roughly the same concept) how often do you rotate? Or even better, what do you do to actively prevent pressure sores?

2. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

When we bought Rubie's bark collar, we got the comfort pads to install. She very rarely wears either collar all day so luckily hasn't been too much of an issue with irritation.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  4. MelonJ

MelonJ Notable member

Thank you so much! I did see them on the site but didnt realize their use! Do you still rotate often or at all?

5. Doberman Gang

I only rotate if I want the contacts in a certain place during training, otherwise no.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

Ah, I didn't realize the bungee collars helped with that, too! we got them with the buckles for the ease of use but they are wonderful!

• Like Like x 2
  7. MelonJ

MelonJ Notable member

Thanks guys! Much appreciated! :ty:

8. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

• Like Like x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  9. Doberman Gang

Nice might gave to check those out. Might be good for my inside ecollar, not sure how it would work with the large two box collar Blaze wears during training. Definite worth trying one though. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Same issue as you.

Same solution used per dobermangang.

Problem resolved.

Ragnar grew so fast that I did not adjust collar like I should have. Difficult to realize actually how tight it actually is. So bungee collar works great.

Collar does not have to be tight to do its job. Actually, I keep it kind loose because I use the vibrate so much know that he reacts to the sound rather the stim.

If we are in a highly questionable/distracting environment and I need immediate response, then I will tighten it down to where it does not move. Ragnar knows it too, he knows it’s time to focus and be spot on.

Yes, double edge sword with that process but I just don’t like it to be too tight and I need him to fully understand that I need complete discipline at this time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Antman408

you can fit 2+ large box receivers on! To be honest I think it would facilitate 4 at once lol. I like it a lot though because of the frog snaps and it’s held up very well with daily abuse and training. It’s also safe to keep on in the crate and he’s managed to snag it on a fence gate hook and get caught on it. Since it has an elastic band it didn’t choke him out lol.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MelonJ

MelonJ Notable member

Was going to ask about that. DeSoto is so rough and tumble intense that I need something durable that wont slip off his head. He’s an escape artist if he works a looser collar enough lol.

13. Antman408

If you put this collar on correctly it’s physically impossible for the dog to remove it and it’s durable.

• Like Like x 1