Ear Posting - when is it time to give-up!!

Martha

Novitiate
Is there an age or time-line at which you reach when you know that no amount of further posting will stand the ears?

Our Dobermann is 14m today!
He arrived with us at age 4.5m so I assume he was cropped around 4m or just before because his ears were left loose but the edges had already healed. Apart from a few days where the ears were left down because they became sore (probably due to my lousing posting technique at the time) I have continued to study the advice given to others and have been fiercely committed to posting. When renewing the posts (about three time a week) the ears may be loose for a few hours by day but have always been replaced by night or as soon as I see the ears begin to collapse.

So, yes I am still posting because after a few hours (sometimes less) the tips on both ears bend/flop toward each other!
I have inserted a few photos below - I have contacted the breeder but they don't respond to my messages!! I have no previous experience to go by so thank you to anyone here that does and is happy to help!

Attachments

• IMG-1867.jpg
    IMG-1867.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG-1868.jpg
    IMG-1868.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG-1870.jpg
    IMG-1870.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG-1874.jpg
    IMG-1874.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 13

Ddski5

Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
From what I can see, only the top 1/4tips bend? Is this with both ears?

Neither of the ears bend or break in the middle or at the base?

If yes, then this was common for both of my Dobermans and I stopped full posting and did breath rite strips.

Both ear tips still look as they have not hardened- keep posting.

JanS

DCF Owner
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
I agree that you should still keep posting since the tips are the last for the cartilage to fully form.

Martha

Novitiate
Hi Ddski5 and JanS - thank you for your responses!

Yes, it is the top 1/4 tips and yes, both ears!
I haven't seen any break at the base but ocassionally I have seen the right ear bend in the middle (usually after he wakes from sleeping a while) but it has stood back up after a short while. I have never left the ears loose long enough to see anymore than that. It is also one reason why I've not tried the breathe right strips yet!

I renewed the posts today and took this photo so you can see both ears.

Attachments

• IMG_1916.jpg
    IMG_1916.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 10

JanS

DCF Owner
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
You're definitely on the right track! I'd try the Breathe Rights since the rest of the ear looks solid. Handsome boy!

Ddski5

Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
Ohhhh man….
You have to keep working at it! You are almost there!

Don’t give up now! Eyes on the prize.