Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Ear posting nightmare

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Johnsrt7, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Johnsrt7

Johnsrt7 New Member

Ear posting has been a nightmare for me and my wife. Our puppy continues to get sores and bleed in the posting and he is in pain....on top of that only one ear will stand the other one doesnt even attempt to stand up. Are there any other alternatives to posting?? Maybe a metal brace or something this is brutal :( somebody, anyone please help

Attached Files:

2. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Are you anywhere near your breeder?

3. Johnsrt7

Johnsrt7 New Member

No our breeder is in Texas we live in Atlanta

4. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

How old is he?

How long have you been posting?

5. Johnsrt7

Johnsrt7 New Member

He’s 5 months and we’ve been posting for 2 months and haven’t had much success. He continues to have sores and bleed and the left ear will not stand.

6. Ddski5

How long are the post staying in?

How long are the post out before you put them back in?

Can we see pictures of sores? In both ears?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Panama

I found someone pretty close to them that is going to try to help.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ddski5

That’s great stuff right there @Panama!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. jerrysgal

jerrysgal Novitiate

10. jerrysgal

jerrysgal Novitiate

Look up this product Tempostay by Neuticals. I used it for my girls one lazy ear.

11. Johnsrt7

Johnsrt7 New Member

I looked it up. Did you use the surgical glue to place them? Do you think it’s worth it?

12. Panama

5 months is a crucial teething period that can affect the ears.

Can you post picture of where the sores are?

13. Johnsrt7

Johnsrt7 New Member

Talked to my breeder she says the toe was probably too tight. So we will let them sit for a few days to heal and then start posting again. We need a better method though because what we’re doing isn’t working.

14. Panama

Stacie or Jennifer will help you.

15. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I would definitely take up the offers for help. They will show you the best method and how to do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. jerrysgal

jerrysgal Novitiate

Yes I think it was well worth it. I didn't use tempostay in place of taping because I found out about the product after her posting time. I used it just to keep her ear standing. People never even noticed it in her ear only a few people saw it.
    I glued it in with Perma Type Surgical Cement-bought it on Amazon. I also used Dermasol Surgical Solvent to get the glue cleaned off ear (and any sticky stuff from when I was posting).
    This has nothing to do with tempostay I just want to share: This is my second Dobie with a floppy ear and both dogs when they got older-the Dobie I have now was almost four-their ear just started standing up. My girls ear is up always now. I read about this happening to other Dobie owners on other Doberman forums.

Attached Files:

17. Panama

Just wondering how the posting was going. Help is available if you need it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Johnsrt7

Johnsrt7 New Member

Hey Panama congrats on Joker I saw the post....we just began posting again and the problem is with the base of his ear, particularly his left ear the cartilage doesn’t seem to be enough so it continues to fall out after multiple times taping, it just won’t hold. I just don’t know what to do at this point.

19. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I would go to the people Panama has contacted to help you. It will be worth it.

20. Panama

Thank you! At 6 mo, with proper posting continuously (post 3-5 days, clean, dry, post RIGHT back up) there's still a chance to get it to stand.

• Agree Agree x 2