Ear posting help- 8 months

Gunner18

Novitiate
Hi all, I have an 8 month old dobie named Gunner. I’m new to Doberman and posting the ears. We brought him home in July right after his ears were done. I have been posting them religiously since then. It seems the tips do not want to stay standing. Is this common? Is this what they look like around 8 months? I still wrap them but it’s a little frustrating! Haha I have attached a picture for reference.

Attachments

• 123EFC49-44E5-479A-BBF2-D7110B400708.jpeg
    123EFC49-44E5-479A-BBF2-D7110B400708.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 451CF2A3-8F89-4384-B6AB-489C5E52FBC3.jpeg
    451CF2A3-8F89-4384-B6AB-489C5E52FBC3.jpeg
    241.5 KB · Views: 28
Aw, handsome boy.

Looks like you've got a long crop there, and perhaps thick ear leather. It's a beautiful crop though, by the way.

Long crops take longer to be finished, generally.

When did he get his adult teeth completely in? You may know this, but teething takes away from the process of the ear cartilage hardening and the ears can flop if you don't keep religiously posting. Sometimes long crops must be posted until the age of about a year or so.

It's possible the "breathe right strips" method could be all you need at this point, or soon.

I would keep posting.

You have to be careful not to let the ears out of post too long to “test” them out. They present to be strong but if the flop over then you are setting yourself back....

Post, change out-air out for about an hour and then post back up.

Some may recommend breath rite strips. Worked for some but did not work for me, I just kept posting with backerrod.

Aw, handsome boy.

Looks like you've got a long crop there, and perhaps thick ear leather. It's a beautiful crop though, by the way.

Long crops take longer to be finished, generally.

When did he get his adult teeth completely in? You may know this, but teething takes away from the process of the ear cartilage hardening and the ears can flop if you don't keep religiously posting. Sometimes long crops must be posted until the age of about a year or so.

It's possible the "breathe right strips" method could be all you need at this point, or soon.

Thank you so much for your response. He just got all of his adult teeth in a few weeks ago! I didn’t realize it took that much away from the ear cartilage hardening. I will for sure keep posting but it’s nice to know this is common for 8 months with the long crop. I was looking at the breathe right strips, right now we’re still doing the backer rod method, maybe that is something we can try!

I would keep posting.

You have to be careful not to let the ears out of post too long to “test” them out. They present to be strong but if the flop over then you are setting yourself back....

Post, change out-air out for about an hour and then post back up.

Some may recommend breath rite strips. Worked for some but did not work for me, I just kept posting with backerrod.

Thank you for responding. I do let his ears breathe but I didn’t realize it was only supposed to be for an hour, that is something we have been doing wrong! Our breeder had said to leave him out for a few hours so that’s what we have been doing, I won’t go so long from now on!

Back