Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Ear posting duration

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Dobyman18, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Dobyman18

Dobyman18 Novitiate

Hello everyone, I have a ear cropping/posting question for anyone that would care to comment. I don't have a doberman yet but plan on getting one potentially next year when my schedule open's up and I'll have more time on my hands, until then I'm doing as much on the breed as I can.

I've read in articles and other forms that you should post the ears for around 4 months after they've been cropped. But is this to say once you post them you need to keep them posted 24/7 until the 4 months is up? obviously not when your bathing your pup but what about when your taking him/her out to be socialized in public and at the dog park, do you still keep them posted or is it okay to take them off for 3 or 4 hours out of the day? I live in a Province where ear cropping and tail docking is banned, and I can just imagine all the hate I will get from people if I take my puppy out with his ears taped up. At the end of the day if I have to I will but I would prefer to avoid confrontation if possible. Thanks in advance to anyone that gives feedback!

2. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Welcome from Minnesota!

Most pups need to be posted at least until they're through teething (about 6 months) or more. I don't like to leave them down for as long as 3 or 4 hours but I do understand your predicament if it's banned. I guess the biggest thing is to get them back up as soon as you get back and never let the pup sleep on them when they aren't posted.

Are you importing your pup from a country where it's legal to crop and dock?

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Dobyman18

Dobyman18 Novitiate

There are provinces next to mine where it is still not banned so I will most likely have to go there to to find my pup. Worst case scenario I would have to look into getting one from the U.S.

4. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Some dog's ears are done 5-6 mo and some can take up to a year. All depends on crop, ear leather (thick, average, thin), how diligent the owner is....

Post for 3-5 days, take ears down, clean good, let dry and post right back up. No overnight sleeping unposted. If they get wet, change them as soon as possible. If they get filthy, change them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Boy, what a shame that there would be a concern of receiving hateful comments. I can see how it would attract attention though. It does here in the U.S., and it is legal here.

Excellent advice given above regarding posting.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Izzy’s Mom

Izzy’s Mom Jr Member

So regarding ear leather, if it’s thinner does it take longer or just the opposite? :)

7. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I used to think thicker meant easier to stand; but partly due to this wonderful forum, DCF, I have learned thinner means easier. Do I have that right, folks?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

(From my personal experiences) Too thin/too thick, both a pain. Real thin and they seem to wilt real easy. Real thick (heavy) seem to tip or flop more. Izzy and her littermates that I've seen cropped pictures of appear to have nice ear leather. Venny's might be a little heavier.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  9. Dobyman18

Dobyman18 Novitiate

Boy,
    Boy, what a shame that some people don't have anything to do with their life other then troll forums and chirp. If you have nothing good to contribute what's the point?.. Never understood keyboard warriors, definitely an odd breed.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. JanS

What??? Oji is a long time, very experienced member here and always has good advice so where did that come from???

• Like Like x 1
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  11. JanS

Della's and thinner and it definitely took less time but her crop isn't as long as Albert's and hers isn't super thin either.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Alpha

Alpha Jr Member

Only Ontario and Alberta not banned in Canada, I'm assuming that's where you're from. I live in Ontario and still encounter haters! My favorite line is "everyone has an opinion I don't remember asking for yours!"
    I think you need not worry about what other people think! Just as many haters when ears are not taped.
    It's what you think that really matters.
    Regards

13. Alpha

Alpha Jr Member

I can also help you with a contact in Ontario, where I got my pup. She deals with a lot of out of province owners.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Alpha

Alpha Jr Member

20190508_183756.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kawhi2222

Kawhi2222 New Member

Hello again I have similar questions my guys ears were done on Saturday and my vet recommended to let the stitches heal then to start posting my fear is that it will slow the process. I also have the same stigma in my area about posting. But people are all for chopping their balls off!

16. Alpha

Alpha Jr Member

17. Alpha

Alpha Jr Member

My guy picture above did not start posting until all stitches out and ears healed approximately 3 weeks after surgery. Stayed posted until 6.5 months, ears are beautiful. Thanks to the members on this site.
    Thanks again members.