Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

ear posting and fungus

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by b_mottest, Jul 8, 2020.

1. b_mottest

b_mottest New Member

I've been posting for about 4 weeks now with my 13 week dobe. And today when i took his post off i could smell a weird toe jam like smell. Checked his inner ear and everything smells fine. Pinpointed the smell to inside the natural flap close to the base of the ear. Cleaned with isopropyl and let dry. But im not sure what to put on it to repost. Im thinking its fungal or maybe moisture got in there somehow? Any recommendations on how to remedy it while posting?

2. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm thinking it's just from moisture so as long as you clean all of the areas well and let them dry before reposting, they should be fine.
    How many days are you leaving the posts in and do you have breathable tape?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. b_mottest

b_mottest New Member

Thanks for the reply! Since this began i have been changing every 2-3 days and using minimal tape. Tape is Zonas but i also use surgical grade paper tape. Since it started i have been dabbing a little medicated powder behind the flaps and it seems to be cleared up.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Great to hear! I forgot to say that I do use baby powder on the hair side of the ear too and it does help keep it dry, not to mention making tape removal so much easier.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Glad to hear its clearing up. I also used a medicated Gold Bond powder on Jasper fur to keep it dry and help with tape removal. I would just continue what you are doing for the remainder of his posting. Powder won’t hurt :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. b_mottest

b_mottest New Member

Perfect! Thank you! I will keep up with the powder then haha

7. b_mottest

b_mottest New Member

Good to know! Ill keep it up! Thank you