ear posting after months of not doing it

filothedobie

Novitiate
Hi guys new to the group! So i’ve read a bunch of posts about posting ears after you see the droop and stuff and i just wanted to know if it’s too late to try to post that ear again after not doing it for months. Sometimes it stands up but very rarely and from the looks of it to me it looks like it’s late but i wanted to see what you guys gotta say.

Attachments

• 695C300F-4C5D-4479-B18D-C8E5A056F7B4.jpeg
    695C300F-4C5D-4479-B18D-C8E5A056F7B4.jpeg
    608.4 KB · Views: 21
Welcome! How old is your Dobe? How long were the ears originally posted and how long have they been unposted? Getting that ear to stand will depend on the answers. It looks as if it is a fairly long crop, which usually means you may have to post as long as a year. Posting through the teething stage, about 6 to 7 months is the minimum for posting as once teething is done the cartilage in the ear begins to harden. You may still be able to get the ear to stand with constant posting and only removing the posts every 2 or 3 days for 1 hour to clean and dry the ear before reposting. Someone else on this forum may jump on with more info for you. Whatever you decide, your Dobe looks adorable!

Welcome from Minnesota!

I was going to ask how old too. I'd definitely post them and only take them out long enough to clean and dry. The ear isn't broken over so there's a good chance it will still stand.

Welcome! How old is your Dobe? How long were the ears originally posted and how long have they been unposted? Getting that ear to stand will depend on the answers. It looks as if it is a fairly long crop, which usually means you may have to post as long as a year. Posting through the teething stage, about 6 to 7 months is the minimum for posting as once teething is done the cartilage in the ear begins to harden. You may still be able to get the ear to stand with constant posting and only removing the posts every 2 or 3 days for 1 hour to clean and dry the ear before reposting. Someone else on this forum may jump on with more info for you. Whatever you decide, your Dobe looks adorable!
thank you! she’s turning 10 months tomorrow and the ears were posted for about 6 months long but we stopped in august. Also thank you for the compliment :)

Welcome from Minnesota!

I was going to ask how old too. I'd definitely post them and only take them out long enough to clean and dry. The ear isn't broken over so there's a good chance it will still stand.
thank you! and she’s 10 months. alright i’ll start posting again and see how it turns out i’ll update you guys here! thank you for the info i really appreciate it. Also what does a broken over ear look like?

thank you! she’s turning 10 months tomorrow and the ears were posted for about 6 months long but we stopped in august. Also thank you for the compliment :)
I believe if you start posting immediately you will be able to get that ear to stand. You will probably have to post for another 3 to 6 months, but it can be done!

Anyone have thoughts on this brace
That's a European rack and mostly meant for right after they're cropped. And wow that price when it's something pretty easy to make yourself with a coat hanger and some padding.

It was developed in Europe. Here they use the cones more until the edges heal.

Back