Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Ear Posting Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by SSBB25, Aug 17, 2017.

1. SSBB25

SSBB25 Novitiate

Hi, I was hoping I could get some advice with my puppy's ear posting. Our little girl is 10 weeks and we've had her about 2.5 weeks now. We've had some issues with posting her ears. This being our first time, we weren't sure which method was the best. I tried two different methods, the tampon and backer rod method. She was initially miserable with both methods.The backer rod method seemed to work better and that is also what her breeder recommended. She seemed to better adjust to the backer rod method, but would still shake her head. The posting didn't last long at all, since after two days we had to take down the posts due to rain. I have been hesitant to repost her ears again, since it seems so uncomfortable for her. I've made sure that when I post them, I insert the posts as far down as possible, but she still seems miserable. It could be that she is readjusting to the posts again, since it has been some time since she was regularly getting her ears posted by the breeder.

My question is that do I need to continue to post her ears? I've read that you are supposed to post them until they're done teething, but her ears look pretty good to me. She had her ears cropped at 5 1/2 weeks, which is much earlier than the average age, from what I've read. Even though we have only posted her ears for a couple days since we've gotten her, her ears look pretty straight and haven't started to flop. I am not sure whether to continue to post her ears or leave it as is. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you!

I have included some pictures of when we first brought her home and a most recent picture of her ears without the posts.

FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender-1.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Wow the ears look great. And what an adorable little face she has!

That harness she's wearing, I had almost the same one for Kaiser and it fit him for about 2 weeks :woot2: so enjoy it while you can!

That is a young age for cropping. I'm sure others will know whether to keep posting. Im going to guess they'll say yes.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

They do look good but unfortunately posting will need to be done through the teething stage, normally around 6 months of age. If she is getting the posts out you are not getting them in the ear deep enough. The deeper in you put them the more solid they will feel and not bother her so much. You cannot hurt her pushing them in deep the way the dogs ear canal is designed. There are some great videos on this site that will help you. Welcome and good luck from KC Missouri.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Welcome from Florida

What a cute puppy. I agree that posting should continue through teething.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Welcome to DCF from the UK!

Oh my gosh, she's a little Gem! Look at her adorable face :love:

• Like Like x 1
  6. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Welcome from Minnesota! :welcome:

She's adorable and the ears are off to a great start but the cartilage is not formed yet so you do need to keep posting at least through teething or they will almost certainly flop and you'll lose a lot of progress then.
    Yes, they get very used to them and they shouldn't be uncomfortable at all. We sometimes tend to fret about it but keep going and only leave the posts out for an hour or so when you do change them.

Here are a couple methods that most of us use. The only difference is that one uses back taping and the other uses surgical adhesive.
    How to Post Cropped Ears (Video)
    Doberman ear posting - improved method

And one for when you're a little farther along with it.
    Alternative Methods For Ear Posting

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

She is adorable! What size backer rod are you using? Are they the 1/2 inch? Have you seen the video where they taper the backer rod a bit? I agree with everybody you're not going to hurt her ear by putting them in deep but if you truly think they are irritating her more than just the first 10-15 minutes there are things you can do to make them a bit more comfortable- like tapering the backer rod, moleskin, a little cotton, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cscallan

Cscallan Notable member

My breeder posted with popsicle sticks wrapped with a paper towel (cut in half and trimmed a little longer than the stick) I switched to tampons but wasn't firm enough so we switched back to the sticks and she seems more comfortable with it. Sometimes I use my finger to make sure I get the post in far enough down. Good luck! Pup is adorable!

9. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Welcome! What a cute pup!

I don't know why the posts are bothering her. I wonder if she'd get used to them if left in for a longer period of time. You might also try posting her, then taking her outside for a long walk or play session or something. I find that a Dobe will forget about anything that's bothering them if you take them outside where their innate alertness and curiosity takes over.

I also wondered if, when my current boy's ears stood nicely very early on, if I had some wonder Dobe whose ears were going to stand super early. I was informed the cartilage had not hardened up, so all the flopping as they walk and especially as they run or play will add up and the ears will flop.

The rule that seems to be most widely accepted (as far as I know) is to post until they are done teething.

I bet she'll get used to the posts. I know that the diameter of the backer rod should be according their age and size.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. SSBB25

SSBB25 Novitiate

Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice.
    So far I've been using this method

using the 5/8th backer rod and paper tape. I'll continue to post the ears as everyone suggested. Hopefully it will be much easier next time for both of us.
    Thanks again!!

• Like Like x 2
  11. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

At 10 weeks the 5/8 might be too thick and that's why you might not be able to get them in far enough and why they're popping out so quickly. Try the 1/2 in. and save that 5/8 in for when she's 6 months+. Or if you only can get the 5/8 in cut the bottom part that goes into the ear like a wedge so it's slightly tapered for a better fit.

Also you might want to try a stickier tape for back taping. I used Zonas tape and I know others used something similar to Zonas.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1