Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Ear infection and posting questions

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by kbuff, Jul 19, 2019.

1. kbuff

kbuff New Member

Hello, I took my little boy to the vet yesterday because I was noticing what I thought was pus around the base of one of his postings (I took off the posting and cleaned his ear)... it turns out that he had a really bad ear infection in one ear and a small yeast infection in the other. The vet cleaned and packed his ears (filled them with gooey ointment) and said she wants to do it again in a week... one of his ears keeps trying to lay flat on his head and I'm worried about several things... the first being that waiting to do any posting will be detrimental to the process and secondly, that once the ear infection is gone, I'm worried about putting another post down in there and causing another infection :/... Is there some way for me to post his ears without having to put a post into his ear? I have tried using just tape but that one ear will not stop folding back onto his head. :/ Please help!!

Attached Files:

2. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

You could probably try this method. You could just put the ointment on the cotton and in the ear canal before you finish the job and the ointment should still be able to work.
    Alternative Methods For Ear Posting

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. kbuff

kbuff New Member

Thank you! I looked at this method too but tried the half post method and it worked nicely! :) Then I went to the Dollar store and found some long foam hair rollers, took the wire out of them and they are like mini pool noodles! They are working perfectly right now. Still down in his ear but they have a hole down the center of them that is allowing some airflow :) and they are soft on his ears :). I think as long as he has the meds in his ear it will be okay.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Member

great idea!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chaosmom

Chaosmom New Member

This is what I'm doing with Chaos now. Just mole foam at the base. I can still get his meds in his ear and it let's his ear canal a little bit open to breathe.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Chaosmom

Chaosmom New Member

I'm going to try that too! Good idea.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chaosmom

Chaosmom New Member

Does you pup have a head tilt?

8. kbuff

kbuff New Member

No head tilt but he does have one ear that wants to lay back on top of his head... :/ I'm hoping that it will eventually work itself out with posting...

9. kbuff

kbuff New Member

My husband found this idea on a youtube video... :) I can't take credit for the innovation... lol :)

10. Chaosmom

Chaosmom New Member

Chaos has an ear like that too. Argh! The other one is doing great.