Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Ear cropping .-.

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by KUN636, Feb 12, 2018.

1. KUN636

KUN636 New Member

So they just took the stitches off and now they taped her ears up. but I noticed there is a piece of ear skin on her left ear at the point while her right ear doesn't have it. I called the vet where I got the cropping and they said its normal and that if I take her in they are gonna recharge me for taping and posting. Is this something I should worry about? or is it normal? I am going to redo her bandages anyways because I don't like how they set it up and probably going to use the forum to search for a better way.

Photo Feb 11, 20 15 14.jpg Photo Feb 12, 07 21 54.jpg
    Let me know what you guys think thanks.

2. GOD'S GRACE

GOD'S GRACE Notable member

I love floppy ears so my knowledge of cropping is limited and I'll wait for other to post in...HOWEVER, the Vet not willing to insure there is no problem with out cost, is alarming...good thing I wasn't on the phone! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Tape them yourself, way to much tape and wrapping in the picture. No need for all of that. Find one of the ways used on this site and you will be happier and save you trips to the vet and money.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ddski5

Ddski5 $ Forum Donor $

Oh my goodness.....

That tape job looks like an absolute mess!!!!

Sure wish you live close by, I would show you how to tape them personally.

To be honest, I would read every ear posting topic on this site---watch every you tube video I could find---email and get in contact with fellow Doberman members...... Find a way to learn how to do it yourself!!!

Ditch the vet---do it yourself, it is not hard once you get the hang of it.
    IMG_2421.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. KUN636

KUN636 New Member

yes i will be doing the taping for now on lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I think the vets follow the old adage about knots, except with tape.

If you don’t know how to tie a knot then tie a lot.

Appears they used this example with the tape. Geez!!

Invest in some Unisolve to remove all that tape and use the backer rod method as shown here on the forum.
    It’s easy once you do it a couple times.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

I see that little piece of ear and that does NOT look normal! It looks like it's completely severed save a tiny piece keeping it on there! WTF!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. KUN636

KUN636 New Member

Yeah thats what I see
    im a take the bandages off tonight and take better pictures to see whats up

9. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Holy tape job lol
    Ya I agree with everyone else you in need two pieces of tape per ear.
    Oh man Ares first tape job at the cropping vet was a joke lol I took it off almost immediately lol
    It’s a little nerve racking posting ears at first or it was for me cuz I’m a total worrier. Just make sure not to tape to tight.
    I followed the how to video on this site. It’s in the puppy section :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. KUN636

KUN636 New Member

will do :)

11. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Hey there!

I don't mean to pile on here, but: It seems the vet should be paying you, given that tape job, instead of saying they will charge you more for bringing him back in. That get-up on your Dobe's head was silly, and I too see that the tip of the ear seems to be errantly sliced almost off.

This is malpractice unless there's something I'm missing.

I'm so glad you will be doing the posting from now on. It is really an easy thing. Don't let the finer details worry you. Just get the ears up (clean the ears first and let them dry) with wrapped posts and use two pieces of tape on each ear – one at the base and one at the tip. You may need a bridge at this point as well. Place it low – at the head, not up higher.

Keep us posted and let us help you along!

• Agree Agree x 6
  12. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Makes me wonder what is under all the tape. That ear tip looks like it was snipped with scissors when they cut the tape, they caught the ear tip.
    You will most likely lose that ear tip.

I would be having a serious conversation with the vet. It may have been a tech that did it, so don’t be afraid to ask and ask with attitude if you don’t get satisfaction. That is NOT normal at all. Shame on them for using intimidation tactics by saying they will charge for re taping. That should be the least of their worries at this point.
    Don’t let them baffle or confuse you with their BS.
    Keep us posted!!

• Agree Agree x 8
  13. Prushanks

Prushanks Hot Topics Subscriber

Oh man... I totally agree Bri! It looks to be exactly level with where the plastic “backer rod” contraption was clipped shorter! That really upsets me that he was sent home like that!
    @KUN636 could you get a few close up pics of her ears after the tape is taken off? My concern is that the ears will not be bilaterally matching. If that’s the case I would really give the Vet a piece of your mind and insist on them fixing it or refunding a portion of your payment.

Also, I wouldn’t tape the ears at all until all the edges are completely healed and clear of any scabs. Pure aloe on the edges can really help the healing process along.

Oh and Welcome from NY, very much looking forward to seeing MANY pics of your adorable girl!! :ntmy:

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Wow.... so sorry you're having to deal with a vet that's more concerned about a few minutes to retape then your pup. That little snippet of ear tip...no, not normal by any means. Someone screwed up and they'd rather blow you off with threat of another charge then deal with the issue.

What general area are you in? Maybe someone can help direct you with posting.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. KUN636

KUN636 New Member

Central Cali if thats what your asking
    yes im a take her in this weekend to go talk to the vet

16. KUN636

KUN636 New Member

Yeah Im sure she has scabs since this is her first week without the stitches.
    yes as soon as i can ill get more pictures of her ears

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  17. Cali_K

Cali_K Jr Member

Just curious what vet did you go to?

18. KUN636

KUN636 New Member

Long Beach

19. Cali_K

Cali_K Jr Member

Oh ok I thought it was a vet here in town.

20. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

I would just put one piece of tap at the base and one at the tip. But this looks better.