Ear Cropping Q

KUN636

just had the second visit to the vet and had some questions maybe someone can clear up for me.
The vets method for my dogs cropping is to bandage her up the first week to prevent bleeding and popping out a stitch(first pic), then undoing the bandage and letting them air out for a second week (which is where I am at right now). (second pic)
now that they are unbandaged he said it was up to me to put the cone back on her. Not sure if I should or should I let her be?
second is there anything I can do to help her not itch?
thirdly should I let the ears be floppy since this is only the second week?
thanks for reading this post and I look forward to your guys replies.

Attachments

• Photo Feb 03, 11 17 40.jpg
    Photo Feb 03, 11 17 40.jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Photo Feb 03, 13 47 31.jpg
    Photo Feb 03, 13 47 31.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 20
Cropped dogs stitches shouldn't be covered during the first week because the ears need to breathe or you risk infection.
I don't think you will need a cone, and can leave the ears down till the edges are fully healed. Then you can start posting the ears after the edges are healed.
I recommend posting the ears yourself their are great links in the puppy section on here :)
Welcome to the forum.

Did your vet do a PT PTT test on your pup?
If your pup has bleeding disorder vets will bandage the ears after surgery to prevent excessive bleeding. Bandages should be changed out frequently until bleeding is controlled.
If there isn’t further bleeding then bandages are removed, ears are left to heal with sutures intact.
Unless she is scratching ears, the cone isn’t necessary.

Did your vet do a PT PTT test on your pup?
If your pup has bleeding disorder vets will bandage the ears after surgery to prevent excessive bleeding. Bandages should be changed out frequently until bleeding is controlled.
If there isn’t further bleeding then bandages are removed, ears are left to heal with sutures intact.
Unless she is scratching ears, the cone isn’t necessary.

No, they didn't maybe that's why they did that as a precaution just in case. her cuts look good they look almost healed.
yeah, she hasn't been scratching I just don't want her to hurt herself.

Cropped dogs stitches shouldn't be covered during the first week because the ears need to breathe or you risk infection.
I don't think you will need a cone, and can leave the ears down till the edges are fully healed. Then you can start posting the ears after the edges are healed.
I recommend posting the ears yourself their are great links in the puppy section on here :)
Welcome to the forum.

Yeah, they gave me antibiotics that I give her 2 a day one at night and morning to prevent infection.
and yes I have been looking on the forum on how to do the posting :)

yeah, she hasn't been scratching I just don't want her to hurt herself.
We didn't use a cone at any point. She should be able to handle it. I also think it's fine to leave them floppy. They won't stand until teething is done which can take till 7 months old.

I never had to use a cone either so I'm thinking you won't have any trouble without it.

I second doing the posting yourself since you can do a much better job and we're here to answer any questions if you have them.

Definitely post yourself.

Intimadating, challenging and frustrating at first, but you will get the hang of it. No worries--you will....

You will feel proud of your accomplishment(s) every time you unpost and admire those ears!! And in the end it's special, because you get to admire, everyday, the hard work you put in.

Back