Ear Cropping issue - vet visit worthy?

ScarTheRedDobe

First time ear cropping caretaker... 10 wk old, cropped on June 2nd (3 weeks) had her for 6 days now. New posting on saturday night and again Tuesday(yesterday). 1 ear tip not healing like the other, left the tip untaped when posting yesterday. Does it look like a vet needs to treat it or does it look like its getting air now and will take care of itself? Thanks in advance for your experienced tips and advice!

Attachments

• 20160622_085420.jpg
    20160622_085420.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 74
Welcome from Minnesota!

You're doing the right thing not taping over the spot and it doesn't look like it needs vet attention to me.
There are methods where you can use a lot less tape, which is better and I think you can lose the center bridge since it looks like they're wanting to pull in already. Are you getting the posts all the way down into the canal? That usually helps hold the ears in the proper stance better.

Here are a couple links that might be helpful.
How to Post Cropped Ears (Video)
Doberman ear posting - improved method

Looks like there might be a little redness on the other ear as well, is the rest of the ears healed/scab free? We left our Ruby out of posts until all redness/scabbing was gone and it hasn't hindered our progress...:welcome:from Michigan!!

Can't tell from the picture so to reiterate if the ear is not completely healed from the crop procedure then the pup should not be in tape yet. And if you are determined to keep the ears taped then the tape should not in anyway be touching raw skin. Although I am assuming since the crop is well over 10 days old that we're just seeing a little redness? either way just keep the tape off of and away from that area and you should be OK next time try to take some pictures when the tape is off and we can get a better idea of how the ears are doing.

Welcome from Michigan.. Love the name "Scar" reminds me of my late boy Mars who's dads call name was Hurts. :dobe:

The more I look at that picture the more the ears just don't look ready to be taped yet. Again it's really difficult to tell from the picture..

The more I look at that picture the more the ears just don't look ready to be taped yet. Again it's really difficult to tell from the picture..

I agree. The right ear looks really raw and might be just me but something I would definitely have the vet check out. It probably wouldn't hurt to leave them unposted until you do. It is hard to tell but I'd fear the tips losing circulation. The tape isn't too tight is it?

Hn4U73k.jpg

Hi everyone! I'm the husband to scarthedobe... I'm learning with her.

This ear tip has had a day to air out & IMO looks healthier already. Definitely the right move.

We followed what we were told by our very reputable breeder for us initially, but after Sat night we started the research campaign that led to all of you. The rest of the ear (s) are in pretty good shape, there isn't any other healing going on that I'm even close to worried about. (is it an old school thought on leaving wound covered with zonas?) (out of respect that breeder will remain nameless, it was not a byb)

We have 5/8 backer rod. We were told to taper the rod which we've done by cutting the first inch or so.

The tape isn't tight at all & it's wrapped in the right direction. Probably is too much tape, but for a 2nd time, I'll take it.

We cut the bridge & I like the look of her ear movement already!... THANK YOU.

JanS that description is very good, my wife and I talked about it & we probably will try it soon.

Sounds like you're on the right track just be extra careful with those tips Until they are 100% healed. Things can go wrong quicker up there then they will at the bell. :thumbsup2:

Glad to hear all is well. We often worry for each other's babies. Hard to tell on the net. Ya never know! That's great you have your breeders support if need be!

I'm glad to hear things are going well.

Welcome from Minnesota!

You're doing the right thing not taping over the spot and it doesn't look like it needs vet attention to me.
There are methods where you can use a lot less tape, which is better and I think you can lose the center bridge since it looks like they're wanting to pull in already. Are you getting the posts all the way down into the canal? That usually helps hold the ears in the proper stance better.

Here are a couple links that might be helpful.
How to Post Cropped Ears (Video)
Doberman ear posting - improved method
JanS - Thank you for all your advice!! We removed the bridge on Scarlett and you were absolutely right! She doesn't need it at all, after just half a day they aren't wanting to pull in anymore, but they aren't flopping! Good call! We have read through that 'improved method' a number of times and will be replacing the posts tomorrow trying that out! That was a great tutorial with great pics, so again, thank you!
I have 1 question for you, that tip, as you can see in the pic, we used a thin piece of foam in a 'shark fin' shape to keep it straight without getting tape on it.... good idea or should we skip that tomorrow? Thanks! Darbie

Can't tell from the picture so to reiterate if the ear is not completely healed from the crop procedure then the pup should not be in tape yet. And if you are determined to keep the ears taped then the tape should not in anyway be touching raw skin. Although I am assuming since the crop is well over 10 days old that we're just seeing a little redness? either way just keep the tape off of and away from that area and you should be OK next time try to take some pictures when the tape is off and we can get a better idea of how the ears are doing.

Welcome from Michigan.. Love the name "Scar" reminds me of my late boy Mars who's dads call name was Hurts. :dobe:

Scar is short for Scarlett.... We love the name too! Thank you! We will definitely take some pics when the tape is off and ears are clean! Thanks for the tip!

I have 1 question for you, that tip, as you can see in the pic, we used a thin piece of foam in a 'shark fin' shape to keep it straight without getting tape on it.... good idea or should we skip that tomorrow?
I would just tape either above or below it until it heals. I had some 1/2" tape for situations like that and it worked well.
Or perhaps a better idea would be to put a Breathe Right in that spot to support it, then put your posts in as usual and tape well below it.
@AresMyDobie can you post a pic of Ares with them to show what I mean?

I would just tape either above or below it until it heals. I had some 1/2" tape for situations like that and it worked well.
Or perhaps a better idea would be to put a Breathe Right in that spot to support it, then put your posts in as usual and tape well below it.
@AresMyDobie can you post a pic of Ares with them to show what I mean?
Do you need a pic of the breathe right strip on the ear?

Back