Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Ear Cropping - I'm a nervous wreck!!!

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by dogsbestfriend, Dec 4, 2018.

1. dogsbestfriend

dogsbestfriend New Member

I am a nervous wreck. Zeke is 9 weeks. Having his ears cropped on Thursday (Dec 6th). I decided to use Dr. Matt Dikeman of Brittmore Animal Hospital. I'm sure at some point I will have to take over the posting and I'm curious how does one get their puppy to stay still long enough to do the posting? What is this horrendous smell I hear some talk about? Do the cropped ears smell after surgery if they become infected? Approximately how long might I have to post? Ahhhhh.....did I mention I'm a nervous wreck?

• Like Like x 1
  2. ArdynBane

ArdynBane New Member

I don't have as much experience as many dobie owners do here, but here is my understanding/experience:

How to get the puppy to stay still enough for posting?
    I find having a friend help out the first few times really great. As one holds the puppy, they will distract them with lots of treats and attention while the other is posting. It is normal for your puppy to wiggle his head around as he is still getting used to it... but most importantly, posting must be a positive experience! Once they get used to having their ears handled and posting, I find most puppies are pretty good for sitting still when getting them done (Again, lots of treats, praise, and a good time!)

How long to post?
    It depends on how long the crop is as well as unique to each dog. The general guideline is to post minimum until all the adult teeth are in, so about 6-8 months of age. Longer crops will need longer posting times, some up to a year.

I personally never dealt with a puppy freshly out of surgery for cropping, nor did I ever have an infection, so I am unable to answer the "smell" questions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. dogsbestfriend

Thanks for your reply. I'm sure others will chime in as well.

4. Dogs4Life

Dogs4Life Member

After the first few times, they honestly will sit still. It only took a couple times of my wife and I tag teaming the process before they would sit pretty and wait patiently for the treats. We got 2 pups at once (male & female) and just got into a routine of taking posts out, cleaning, drying, then re-posting. As long as the posts are seated deep in the ear they really seem to ignore them. We would know due to the head shaking if we hadn't pushed it down far enough.

The smell will come if you don't keep the ears clean and swap posts every few days (or if they get wet). I found there to be some what of a smell when the ears were healing but it wasn't unbearable.

The time frame for posting will depend on the length of crop, however you will definitely want to post through teething months. There are some wonderful discussions on this site and even how to videos that helped ease my anxiety of the process.

Welcome and best of luck!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I have never had a problem with the pups holding still for posting – no significant problem at least. Maybe it's that the manipulation of their ears tends to actually feel good.

Odor? That's never been a problem! Don't worry!

Expect to post through teething, which if I recall, is essentially about 7 months.

Great questions. Don't stress! I was actually nervous about posting again with Oji here as it had been some 10 years since I had done it with my previous Dobe – a decade! I had plenty of experience though, and I knew that ear posting is at its core a simple process. You will get the finer details your particular Dobe requires dialed in in short order.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

I hope after the cropping they don't use lots of tape on the ears and post them right away? Unless they use the Styrofoam Cup method on top of their head. Usually they just will keep the ears down or tape them together on top of their head to heal for 7-10 days and the stitches come out. Then start posting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I think there were a couple things that really helped me out:
    1. Reading everything on this forum no matter how old the post, it was all helpful.
    2. Realizing that I did not have to be an expert with tons of experience. Just keep on reading, trial and error and gained experience will get you through it.
    3. Learning how to do it on my own so I could do it when/where and on the spot if need be.
    4. Using a grooming pole helped me. Just jammed it though on side of wire crate.
    5. Above all, have a plan, stay calm and cool. You will get upset and frustrated, don’t let this flow into him. He will sense it and make the situation worse. Calm, cool and patient and it will all come together with time and experience.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Just curious, what was the deciding factor? Did you see pics of dogs he has cropped?
    I did a quick search and found something I really like. They have a Veterinary Cardiologist, that's GREAT news for a dobie owner. :thumbsup2:

As far as posting, the first couple of times can be nerve wracking but you'll both have the hang of it pretty quickly.
    I agree that the time it takes varies on each dog. Different factors like how long the crop is, ear leather thickness and how much bell is left.
    Your pup will get the hang of it pretty quick and will sit still for you. I find it helps to do a quick obedience routine before posting to make sure they are tired. Reward only when you get the behavior you want and before you know it it will become part of your routine just like brushing your teeth. My current female is so food motivated that when she saw me get the box I kept the supplies in she would go to the place where I posted and wait for me to start. We called her Miss Piggy still. :D

Here's a video that you should find helpful. Watch it as many times as you need while you're waiting for your pups ears to heal so you have it down pat. Ask all the questions you need, we're here to help!

9. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

If you haven’t already this is the time to get all the supplies especially the Unisolve as most places don’t carry this and it needs to be ordered on-line.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Speaking of Unisolve: I'll just mention that I have never used glue or adhesive for ear posting, and I've had fine results. Glue or adhesive has always seemed too much trouble and mess for me. I just backtape.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

I only used glue for nose strips towards the end of posting for the tips but I backtaped and used Elasticon for the outside taping so that’s why I needed the Unisolve. The Elasticon is super sticky so I had to use baby powder over the fur and Unisolve for easy removal

• Like Like x 1
  12. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

@dogsbestfriend

Just gather your supplies now and don't stress about it too much. Their ears are pretty forgiving. IF something smells, then something is wrong.

I think most of us have used basically the same materials and have used the backer rod method.

1/2" backer rod (I think you can use 3/4", too, someone advise?)
    Unisolve (I bought the wipes, they were pretty handy but probably more expensive than just a bottle. This loosens the tape)
    1" porous tape (we used a couple different types, Covidien and ZONAS, didn't really notice a huge difference between either)
    Duct Tape of some sort (a lot of people get fun designs to dress up the posts a bit)
    And I bought Medical Scissors with blunt ends and Osto Bond (instead of the backtaping method)

The first couple of postings seem awkward but it's a breeze once you get the hang of it. You've got time until the ears heal to get to that point, though.

I also never pass up an opportunity to share puppy pictures so here's before our first posts

[​IMG]

All done! My first time posting ever and it didn't turn out too bad!
    [​IMG]

You got this.

• Like Like x 6
  13. dogsbestfriend

Hi GennyB. Thanks for your reply. The deciding factor was because Dr. Dikeman was recommended from a couple breeders in my area and that they have a Vet Cardiologist is even better. Thank you so much for the video. I will watch it as many times as I need over and over.

I also worry about the backlash from having the ears cropped. I so don't want to have to deal with individuals like that.

14. dogsbestfriend

Hi LifeofRubie!! Thanks for the pictures! What a good looking pup! Looks like you did a really good job. When were your pup's ears done? How was He afterwards and how long did it take before he was his old self?

Thanks for the list of supplies I'll need.

15. dogsbestfriend

Two pups at once - wow you had/have your hands full lol. Thanks so much for the information.

16. dogsbestfriend

Hi and thanks for the reply. Tomorrow is the big day. I'm trying not to stress:)

• Like Like x 2
  17. dogsbestfriend

Hi My2Girls. Can I find Unisolve at a pharmacy or a Walmart. I may just go ahead and order it now. Thanks for the headsup

18. dogsbestfriend

More more question o
    Hi and thanks for the information.

19. dogsbestfriend

Great advice. Thanks so much

20. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

No it’s a specialty product. I even searched for it at an independent pharmacy and they didn’t carry it. I had to order mine online and I’m sure most of the members would agree that this is not a product typically found locally - maybe a pharmacy at a hospital? I had to wait a week for my mine to arrive and ended up using Goo Be Gone for the one change during that week - that stuff is nasty and I had such guilt using it. I would not recommend it.

• Agree Agree x 1