Ear Cropping Help

breanna3732

Hey everyone i have a 13wk only dobie his name is bruno and He got his ears done on sep 27,2021. he came home with his bandages on and i took him back 5 days later on oct. 2 2021 for check up they gave him back to me without anything on and his ears are just droopy with his cone as well. they also gave me a spray and it smells like alcohol or peroxide and they told me to spray the edges with it for 7 days 2 times a day and i was just concerned because i know it hurts him when i spray it and i dont want to accidentally spray inside of his ears. and what if the spray just opens up the wounds more. And it also bugs me that his ears are just down the whole time like shouldnt they be put up or should they just be hanging. They told me to go back on oct 9 2021. to rebandage. Idk if that sounds right. they told me they were gonna have one week with bandages on then off then on then off and im just confused are they ever gonna be posted up. Im just really worrried and i dont want them to be droopy or have trouble posting bc of them not putting his ears up yet and i have no one to ask.

Attachments

• C8E937D6-9469-4E0C-822A-A66BC4E5B078.jpeg
    C8E937D6-9469-4E0C-822A-A66BC4E5B078.jpeg
    472.4 KB · Views: 15
  • D0757E0B-EE81-487C-B4E8-6A3399682B7B.jpeg
    D0757E0B-EE81-487C-B4E8-6A3399682B7B.jpeg
    283 KB · Views: 13
  • ED782E07-B4CB-4A61-B5FE-7653A1E8A38D.jpeg
    ED782E07-B4CB-4A61-B5FE-7653A1E8A38D.jpeg
    296.2 KB · Views: 15
  • BF28A8BD-33B1-4687-AAD3-C8BFD2EE5EA2.jpeg
    BF28A8BD-33B1-4687-AAD3-C8BFD2EE5EA2.jpeg
    314.1 KB · Views: 14
I never used anything on the area wear the stitches were because they need to dry and scab. I also didn't start posting until the stitches were out.

It is fine to let them “hang”, they don’t need to be up right now. You have plenty of time to start posting. Right now your concern is to make sure he does not scratch or pop the sutures. Let them hang and heal.

If you have a watchful eye and he does not go at the ears, then you can prob take off the cone, just be very wary.

I don’t know if I would spray that stuff. The ears need to scab over and heal. No peroxide or ointment. Yes, they will look pretty scary and funky but this is okay. If you want, you can wash or run a warm water/soap rag over them to tidy it up. Otherwise, outside of a really foul smell, they will be okay.

When the sutures come out then you can start posting. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you research this site on the puppy forum to learn to post yourself. No way would I rely on the vet to post my pup.

When sutures come out, then start posting through his teething phase which generally ends 6-8 months. This is not definite but a guideline, some pups need to be posted longer. I posted both of mine through 7.5 months.

Good luck and ask lots of questions if you need.

What should i clean the inside with or should i keep using that spray they gave me ?
No, I'd leave them alone and just let them hang.

I would personally learn to post them yourself since many vets use really old methods of posting and they never really stand right. There are some good posting tutorials in this section and don't hesitate to ask questions as you go.

The one week on, one off is totally wrong (even though some vets still recommend it) since they can lose weeks of progress at a critical time doing it that way.

No, I'd leave them alone and just let them hang.

I would personally learn to post them yourself since many vets use really old methods of posting and they never really stand right. There are some good posting tutorials in this section and don't hesitate to ask questions as you go.

The one week on, one off is totally wrong (even though some vets still recommend it) since they can lose weeks of progress at a critical time doing it that way.
what should i do then about the on and off bandaging?

what should i do then about the on and off bandaging?
No, just take the posts out long enough to clean them and let them dry, then get them right back up again. That's after the stitches are out and the incisions are completely healed. Just let them hang until then.

its also been bugging me that his cone is touching the edges and it looks irritated and i dont know what to do. they gave him back to me with the same cone as the week before and it was all loose so it touches his ears even more. it makes me upset that they dont seem to care. or think about that

Back