Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Ear crop tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by L7weenie, Jul 14, 2019.

1. L7weenie

L7weenie New Member

My baby's ear crop is tomorrow and I'm a nervous wreck. Lol but that being said, what are some things that I need to get to tape/post/clean or things i need to have on hand, is a neck donut thing recommended, that sort of thing!

Also, I have a very clear picture of how I want his ears done. I want a medium show crop, but I do not want the bottoms to come out too wide..and I'm not sure how to explain that. Do you guys know what I mean? Like I want when he's looking forward for the bottom of his ears to be straight along the side of his face. LOL I'm not sure how to explain that, does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Thankyou guys in advance for all your help.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Exciting! These are all the things I used:

-1.5” backer rod
    -Duct tape to strengthen rod
    -Zonas tape for wrapping around ears
    -Torbot Glue optional if back taping doesn’t seem to work for you
    -Uni-Solve and cotton balls recommended to get tape residue/glue off ears. It also makes it so easy to remove tape without scissors and pulling hair.
    - I used dog ear wipes to clean inside the ear between posting
    - gold bond medicated powder is optional if you want to make sure the bell of the ear is dry before reposting
    -gauze is optional if you want to add a bit to the end of the rod that goes into ear.

And im pretty sure I know what you mean for crop style. I wanted the same. My guy has a bit more “bell” than I prefer, but as he is growing it is becoming less noticeable.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Member

I think you meant 1/2", just in case that was confusing to L7weenie ...

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Member

Also, you can collect photos of ears you like in a folder on your phone or pad & show them to the vet. If the vet isn't able to visit with you when you drop off your pup, you might want to print a couple of photos out and hand them in with your puppy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  5. CRDobe

CRDobe Notable member

Yes, make sure he sees photos of exactly what you want. Is he a show cropper?

6. L7weenie

L7weenie New Member

I'm not sure, my breeder has a fb page that people have posted their photos on and I've asked several people where they got them done at, because I liked the crop. And they all said the vet I'm going to

7. Rocky6527

Rocky6527 New Member

Would you have picture that you could shore on here

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Take a picture so he can visualize it.

No guessing or assuming allowed...

Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

How did it go?

10. L7weenie

L7weenie New Member

Crop looks great (I think) he still has a cup on his head, but from what I can tell they did a good job. The puppy that doesn't realize he just got his ears cropped is a handful though, the gauze got stuck to his stitches so that was heartbreaking trying to remove, he's already popped one stitch, he's running around like a psycho and when he's not he's trying to mess with his ears, I've already been to petsmart 4 times in 2 days to return and buy different cones/collars to try and get him to leave them alone and I've already had my first encounter with someone giving me grief for cropping his ears. So other than that I think it went well, he's happy and healthy and that's really all that matters.

• Like Like x 3
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  11. L7weenie

L7weenie New Member

I appreciate you asking!!

12. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

And here weeee gooooo!!!!

Just go ahead and put yourself on notice that every fiber of patience, frustration, worry, etc... is now and will be called upon for years to come.

Listen to me when I say, if you persist with effort and time spent- you will not regret it- you will question and maybe wonder but in the end, he will be the dream of your dreams.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

As usual! LOL Always a testament to people that worry about that. :(:thumbsup2: