1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

EAR CROP CARE

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by MattyMcFly, Apr 30, 2020.

1. MattyMcFly

MattyMcFly New Member

Hello everyone! My 15 week old Doberman (yes I know is late but the vet made sure the cartilage was good to crop) just got his ears cropped yesterday. I’m very paranoid about his wounds getting infected and I really want the stitchings to heal already. He constantly shakes his head and is uncomfortable with the cone he has. His head is wrapped in a sock with a roll of toilet paper in between his freshly cropped ears. He gets very uneasy when me and my wife try to clean his ears and apply ointments etc. I’m curious if there’s any tips to keep him calm? I am giving him the pain medication as directed by vet. I am also curious if a new sock should go over his ears each time I clean them or should I let them air out? Thank you guys in advance for you responses. Eager to hear what advice you all have.

2. Rnrgyrl

Rnrgyrl Hot Topics Subscriber

I got my pups ears done at 15 wks also. His ears were already trying to stand even before he got cropped. They turned out fine. Because my dog was so much older after they cropped him they posted him right away but they left all the surgical areas open so that it was exposed to air and would not get infected. I’ve been only had to post him for three weeks after his surgery. Got really lucky with it all. Last Dobies I had 25 yrs ago we had also cropped at 16 wks.

I would definitely do it earlier there were just a scheduling or health reasons that some delayed the timing!

just get them done,healed and get them up and I thinking you’ll be on your way!

• Like Like x 1
  3. C908

C908 Notable member

First let me say Congrats ! There will be plenty that will chime in with suggestions. I will just say we used the backer rod method as recommended by our breeder. We changed his bandages about every 5 days. It takes a few times but once you get the hang of it things become easier. One product I would highly recommend getting is Unisolve.It makes the tape come off much easier so you don't rip hair out. There are also You Tube videos that will help you get through the ear process. Good Luck !

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Pictures?

Keeping a 15wk calm? Good luck there.

I think the common recommendation you will get here is to wear him out physically and mentally. Then you will find him to be less combative...haha. Famous quote is that a tired Doberman is a good Doberman.

Other things you can do:
    Get a grooming arm to hold him in a set position. He will prob fight at first but then he will realize and settle. As you can see by the look on my young boys face, he was not pleased.

You can also place him up on a table or box to prevent him from moving around so much. I actually used a couch cushion. The sides and the small drop off seem to produce a visual boundary.

You don’t have to use a grooming arm....mine was always so jacked up at that age that I just needed the additional control. But, I do think that having yours on a higher, limiting surface should help you out.

I also found that the whole process was better if I did it on my own. My wife and daughters were eager to help but it only made Ragnar more rebellious. He got to where when I said it was time to do ears...he knew it was time to be serious. It took ALOT of trial and tribulations but you get into a pattern, a system that you both understand what’s going on. Over time you will learn his looks, movements and mannerisms. This is part of the bonding experience and why I think all owners should post their own Dobermans.

Good luck and welcome from Louisiana.

663D27DD-A62D-41DF-AD38-E39284197EBA.jpeg

DF4981A6-7B89-4A72-A24B-4B5D1FE5FD20.jpeg

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  5. C908

C908 Notable member

Interesting set up, unless that kennel was bolted to the floor Preacher would have pulled it over or drug it around.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Doing 6 at a time was a challenge. I always played with them for a good 20-30 min to burn off some energy. I found it much easier to sit on the floor, legs out in front of me and pup between my legs. Have everything ready and within reach. If you have someone that can help, have them sit in front of you with a bowl smeared with a thin layer of peanutbutter (make sure it does not contain xylitol) to keep pup's attention while you do what you need to do. Keep it quick

• Wow x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Ddski5

Yes, that’s to be expected.

He will feel the choke lanyard tighten up and falling off the elevated surface of couch cushion a couple of times puts him looking to you for guidance and assurance.

All part of the bonding and him learning that you are there to ease the situation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. CRDobe

CRDobe Notable member

I would take the cone collar off - that will probably make him much more comfortable. Personally I would not apply any ointment or pick at the scabs. Keep an eye out for swelling, heat or oozing. And not posting til edges are completely healed and stiches are out.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MattyMcFly

MattyMcFly New Member

0D20E4C8-B17B-4B8A-B0EC-66C274A137EF.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. MattyMcFly

MattyMcFly New Member

Thank you so much! Your dog is gorgeous. I’m def gonna start talking him on walks and such to get him real tired.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ddski5

Walks are a good idea but there are some other things you can do.

I remember back when, @Kaiser2016 suggested to put him in a sit/hold or in another room and place bits of kibble around the house. I think I would put down 20-30 pieces. Then I would release him and walk around the house helping him find the kibble. Good physical and mental stim right there. Also good during rainy days.

A good tug rope championship duel always worked for Ragnar too. I would pick up the rope and ask him if he wanted a go at the championship belt?? It was on after that....

Many many other ideas on this site, research and learn.

Another little piece of advice is to watch him close and hide the socks. Mine had two abdominal blockage surgeries because of swallowing daughters socks.

Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Wow x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

I found that putting the young puppy on top of the dryer was a perfect height for me to do ears and it somehow made her quiet, maybe knowing she wasn't on the floor and it was too high to want off of it. I never ever left her there, had one hand on her at all times. As she got bigger I moved down a few inches to a dining table height. You have a cute puppy, the ears will heal in a hurry so you can start posting - you won't believe how fast the time flies!

• Like Like x 2
  13. MyGirl2

MyGirl2 Novitiate

I may be a little late posting here but a roll of toilet paper between his ears??? No wonder he is uncomfortable. That just sounds heavy and miserable. I’ve never heard of using a roll of toilet paper. As far as the cone collar. Have you heard of the BiteNot collar? Heard a LOT of people like it for their dogs.