Ear crop and after crop care with no cup

When it fell off earlier today, he was shaking his head, flopping his ears around, is that going to be ok with the bandage off? Won't he scratch and mess up the stitches?
I think leaving them off at this point is better than keeping them covered. He was probably shaking his head because they were bothering him from being covered before that.
You'd need to keep a close eye on him to see if he tries to scratch but I'd take it (the cone) off when you can watch.

I've been taking the cone off when I can 100% supervise him, once he gets to scratching he doesn't seem to want to stop so the cone goes back on. I can not wait until the cone and big diaper on his head is gone.

And so your trials of patience have started....

It will be okay. One boot in front of the other until it’s finished.

The only major concerns you have right now are- him getting to the ears and opening up the wounds and the suture area getting stinky infected.

Just keep your eyes open and be attentive. Y’all will be okay.

At CrackerBarrel having dinner with the family taking about your situation.

My oldest daughter reminds me that I don’t use the grooming pole anymore. So don’t order one. When you get ready to post, you can just use mine.

My patience is definitely being tested early in this whole ordeal, I'm hoping this stupid cone and bandages will be the worst of it. I'm just imagining it being so much better with the cup methybut it may be all in my head.

At CrackerBarrel having dinner with the family taking about your situation.

My oldest daughter reminds me that I don’t use the grooming pole anymore. So don’t order one. When you get ready to post, you can just use mine.

Thanks for thinking/talking about us
I'll take you up on that offer, thanks.
Would love to meet up with you and your pup some time after Tebeaux is ready for that.

I'm just imagining it being so much better with the cup methybut it may be all in my head.
The cup is a pretty great idea from all the contraptions I've seen. Anything that can survive a Doberman puppy discovering the world...this was on for two weeks. He even pushed his head through the deck stairs and back out with it still intact.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

So, since his ears have been bandaged up since Thursday afternoon, does anyone know what I should expect come Monday when they take them off? I'm assuming/hoping/praying that they've scabbed over and that he'll leave them alone. When you use the cup, how long did you leave them in the cup?

Sorry, I can’t help you with the cup situation.

In reference to him leaving his ears alone come Monday, I would expect he is still gonna scratch at them until they are healed.

Just gonna have to be diligent and attentive until the ears heal.

Sometimes when an introduction thread changes topics, the people who can help may no longer be checking back. I'm almost sure everyone will say to remove the bandages...? So maybe start a new thread to get more answers :)

The cup is meant to only be used when the sutures are still in and the ears are healing. My puppies are in their cups 7–0 days depending on when I remove the sutures. Once autures are out up in posts they go. If the Vet didn’t put him in a cup post op he will more than lilely not put him in a cup tomorrow. Most Vets are poorly experienced with the posting process as most breeders do the posting as we have a specific way we like to do them.

Your best bet is to either not post until
Sutures come out, or post with a cup or Zipties.

Also, the cone isn’t needed. It can actually regress the posting process and cause an incorrect position of the bell. The best bet to help him stop scratching is to dremel his toenails down to nubs and redirecting any scratching you see.

Most of the time the scratching isn’t from the healing ears. It’s from the serous fluid and blood that has collected in the ear from the surgery. The ears need to be cleaned out daily with a good cleaner and drying agent. I like Dechra EpiKlean

Thanks for the reply. I think at this point I'm just going to have to wait and see what the vet recommends tomorrow when the bandage comes off. If he bandages them back up fully I'll go ahead and take off the bandages and go from there.

Once you start posting here is what worked for me to keep them still:
1) a tired puppy (after play or towards the end of the day

2) an elevated surface - did min on the kitchen island

3) an extra set of hands - my husband stood there and handed me the stuff

Good luck. It does get easier.

Once you start posting here is what worked for me to keep them still:
1) a tired puppy (after play or towards the end of the day

2) an elevated surface - did min on the kitchen island

3) an extra set of hands - my husband stood there and handed me the stuff

Good luck. It does get easier.

I was stressing over the posting before we had the cropping done, now I'm looking forward to starting it. His ears can't heal quick enough (for both of our sakes :))

I ran across this video that shows the ears being put up on a cup and (of course) with the sutures uncovered. The woman doing the procedure seems experienced, and the procedure looks good to me.

I searched a few times for another thread on this so I could paste in this video, as I see this thread is entitled "...no cup," but hopefully the link can be found useful here in the future, and maybe it can be pasted into another thread as well, if there is one.

ear posting method with cup

Back