Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Ear crop aftercare

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Angieelaughs, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Angieelaughs

Angieelaughs Novitiate

Hello all, my doggy Dame got his ears cropped last Friday. We took the bandaging off his ears & cup, so now it’s just his ears. The dr said to remove scabs every day or other day & to add Neosporin. I’ve done it once, putting neosorin bc last time he didn’t have much of scabbing yet. Now theres pretty big chunks of scabs. To the point his ears look really dirty lol. I just tried to sit down for about 20 minutes, taking a warm/hot wash cloth & just kinda grazing it over his ears to see if scabs would fall off & a couple of them did. But it started to look like those areas are bleeding now. Or like they just look like fresh wounds.. I am wondering if I should be doing that? Or should I leave them alone? We are meeting somebody to get his stitches taken out on Sunday which will be 9 days later. If his ears aren’t fully healed should we still have them taken out by then? Or if they are taken out but not fully healed, still scab like should we not post? We should wait untill they’re fully healed to post right?

Attached Files:

2. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Welcome from SE Alabama.

I had one that had pretty bad scabs, however, I never pulled them off. I used a warm wet washcloth with antibacterial soap (make it real sudsy) and kind of crunched/dabbed it on the ear edge with the edge between the cloth, rinse the cloth and do it again with just warm water. Let it air dry then applied ointment (bag balm). Healed real quick.

As far as taking the stitches out, the bell might take a little longer to heal (depending on how they were cut).

Never post with scabs or open sores.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Welcome from Minnesota!

Your vet should know if they're ready for the stitches to come out yet or not. I have heard it's not good to use the Neosporin on them since they may want to heal too fast and cause puckering where the stitches are.