1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

E Collar success!

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by jazzies mum, Nov 7, 2018.

1. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Member

Well, I am impressed!

Over the last few weeks I have been reinforcing commands with the ecollar. Mostly recall, when locked on to distractions, plus "leave it" for stuff picked up on walks. Jazz has responded brilliantly! :biggrin:

Today was a graduation day where we went where there are MANY wallabies, belting off in all directions. She looked, but was happy to stay within walking limits of me most of the time. I went armed with some raw beef strips so I could give her the ultimate reward for good behaviour. Did a couple of recalls, just to keep the beef in her mind! Then, when she was further in front of me than I would like, I was just about to call her in when she locked on to something. Called her, she came a few steps and locked on again, called her again and she came off and straight back. Very, very good test for my young girl. No zap! Later she found an old wallaby leg bone and picked it up. Normally I say "oh, yuk! Leave it" with a stim after if she didn't drop it. She has always LOVED dead stuff. This time I just got the disgusted "Oh, yuk!" out and she spat that bone a foot away and came to me. That might save her life one day.

She has only needed the second to lowest level stim most of the time with the exception of when her prey drive kicks in when I up it to make the point. Not only are these targeted commands now reinforced, Jazz now listens with much more attention and obedience to ALL commands. She isn't at all traumatised or afraid to have the collar on, and most walks these days there is no occasion when it is needed. My feeling is that there will come a time where the e collar goes into the "just in case" box, which is where the prong collar is most of the time now! Yippeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

• Appreciation Appreciation x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Wow x 1
  2. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

That is awesome news! And only a few weeks to drill it into her? Would you say she was already pretty obedient?

We started with ours over the weekend. I went into the yard to start with the tones and have so far not had to shock him. Dreading trying it out on a walk where I'm sure he'll need to get zapped.

• Like Like x 1
  3. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

That’s great news! They are so smart and catch on quickly. Then they get too smart and push the limits when they know it’s not on or the battery is weak.

Do you have pics of the wallabies? I’ve only seen them in zoos so it’s fascinating to hear that they just roam around freely in your neck of the woods.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Member

@Kaiser2016 Yes, she was already fairly obedient, unless she had more important things on her mind! I had intended to drill her but she gets very bored very quickly once she knows something and is best taken out where she can see the whole point of the exercise. I did make a special effort to introduce some fun new games to replace her chasing critters fun. Flirt pole and good long distance ball chasing with a thrower. I think as long as you make absolutely sure they know what the stim means, and they have a chance to avoid it by obeying you with just voice, there isn't too much drama. Jazz gave me a few grunts of disgust, and a few yips when she chased something anyway, but it really wasn't long before she got the hang of it. Just have to keep it on her as an option until she stops testing the waters. Better it's on and not need it than have it off and then need it, would undo a lot of work!

@My2Girls Trying to keep her from getting too collar savvy, by using it as infrequently as possible. My tone of voice gives her an idea of when she is starting to get into something that could mean a stim! Using a warning tone when she fixates on something, or moves too far away from me. A joyous tone when she comes past to check in, or just ignores distractions. As you say, they are very clever! There are a few wallaby pics on the wildlife and critters thread and one in the random photos of the day thread! I'm sure there will be more as I go! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 4
  5. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Yes, makes a tremendous difference with us.

Not only recall, distractions, attention, etc....but one of my pet peeves is that Ragnar likes to mouth foreign objects. So he is 100ft away, at the fields, and I see he is picking up something that should not be in his mouth. A stern “No! No!” with stim and he drops it immediately. There is no way I could run over there in time to get it out of his mouth. We are making good progress because now just saying No, No, most of time he drops without requiring stim.

• Like Like x 3
  6. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

Sounds like you're using it just how it was meant to be used!

Rubie get's EXCITED when she see's her collar because she knows she's going to get freedom to run and run and run!

• Like Like x 3
  7. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Member

Just an interesting observation from this mornings walk.

All was going brilliantly and we were having a really good enjoyable walk, run, play. She ignored wildlife and remained relaxed about it all. Then I decided to call her in to leash her for a while. Just part of her education. A wallaby and joey were coming along and going to pass reasonable close at a casual bounce. When Jazz spotted them she started to get excited and hauling on the leash, (we are using a flat collar for home walks). Instead of having a tussle with her I just dropped the leash and got my finger on the button ready to give her the stim at the exact moment she started her charge, and just kept walking, asking her casually to come with me. She looked at them, to me, to them, and chose to come with me. No stim!

So, from that I am thinking that a lot of the excitable behaviour when leash walking in high distraction situations, is because of the restriction! Maybe they get frustrated, or maybe they feel braver attached to their hooman?