Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

E collar and/or prong collar experience

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by Maze, Sep 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Maze

Maze New Member

Good evening ladies and gents,

So I now used a prong collar (HS) to walk with my dog and not have her walk me. Its amazing! The results were instant. Now I understand I have to use it continuously for her to develop an understanding and muscle memory.

Today I used a "no bark" shock collar (SBC-8 by Sportdog) and took her out for a walk after letting her warm up to it in the comfort of my home. Not a peep outside with other dogs or people walking by.

Back home after our walk i placed her in her crate and used the restroom, she barked about 3 or 4 times before seizing. Effective i believe.

My question for you all is; what is your experience with both collars? Pros, cons and how long did it take for your dobermann to finally walk at your side and/or not bark at people or dogs?

2. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Hot Topics Subscriber

I think there will always be times when I will need to use both of these tools although it becomes much less as my girl ages. I am traveling and use her e collar when walking off leash as insurance but haven't really needed to give a correction. Her prong collar has only been on a few times, once in a busy outdoor market with kids and dogs everywhere. She is still a handful in just her plain collar when she gets over excited, but these occasions become less frequent!

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Maze

Maze New Member

I cant wait to have my Maze walking by my side in a hectic environment. She learns so quick.

Thank you for the insight.

4. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

My experience is that all of my Dobes have overcome the effects of the prong collar in a matter of moments. This, when just being used as a collar, not in a specific way as a training tool. How are you using yours?

I've used an e-collar (Sportdog that has proven extremely durable) on my last two Dobes – the same collar. Have just had to order and replace batteries. I've found they respect it, though they must be trained to it. Are you using just a bark collar?

5. Maze

Maze New Member

The prong collar only comes on when i walk her (as a training tool, because i read its not a standard collar and can cause injury). The shock collar went on today during her walk, no barks....then i placed her in the crate to use the restroom. She barked 3 times before stopping. Then i was done with the rest room and took the dog out of the crate and removed the collar.

I just woke up because I heard her (what seemed to me) having a bad dream so she was whimpering not sure if she could bark. Eventually she barked and I took her on her midnight potty session.

Now she is back in the crate without a peep.

I'm not using both together. Its one or the other. I had to test both products independently.

Have you used them together? Should that be done? I feel like it's too many collars on her.

6. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Thanks for your reply. That's what I meant. When I simply used the prong collar as the collar I walked my Dobe on, they overcame the squeezing/poking sensation in a brief minute or two and pulled furiously just as normal. What I did not do is use the prong collar judiciously as a training tool and try to only let there be tension on the lead when they are receiving a correction via the collar.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Prong collar works fantastic to instantly correct when out of position on our walks. I can’t tell you the last time he pulled during a walk or run with me. On the other hand, when my daughters/wife walk or run with him, he gets a little out of hand and they have to correct.

The only other thing I use the prong for is instant correction when he breaks command and does not listen. Still working on maintaining a static sit in front of other animals (dogs, squirrels, etc.) I find the prong is the only thing that gets through to him when he gets jacked up in his jacked up prey zone.
    The ECollar only jacks him up more in this incidence.

I like to use the ECollar when offleash. I like for him to run freely and have no issues with my recall confidence with him if given a vibrate or little stimulus. I did, initially, use it to deter whining.

Unfortunately, he knows when he has the prong or ECollar on. He is a saint with those on, take them off and he is definitely more hard headed and does not respond as quickly or confidently. Currently, working on that.....but is awesome to have something that works.

Time?
    As far as no pulling? It was immediate with the prong.

Barking with prong? Took some time because you have to be there to catch him barking and to give the negative stimulus of the prong as he barks.

You using a bark collar or ECollar?Anything you do with a ECollar, she must understand why she is getting the stimulus or else she won’t figure out what’s or where it’s coming from.
    A bark collar give stim immediately after the bark so most dogs figure it out.

I put both on mine- prong for controlled walking next to me and use the ECollar to allow him to run somewhat freely but it’s an invisible leash that allows me to correct him and recall him on demand.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Maze

Maze New Member

I'm using a bark collar since I live in an apartment complex and don't want to have her deep/high pitch barking annoy myself or the neighbors, and I only use it when she is unsupervised for a quick bathroom trip or laundry or preparing family food. Little everyday tasks.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

@Ddski5 sounds much like my dog. Collar-wise very quickly. Using the e-collar mostly for hiking in the forest since she is off leash. I'm doing more & more obedience exercises/short drills without the prong and it's been months but finally the muscle memory is starting to work. Depends on the distractions, ahem. @Maze keep doing what you're doing with the prong, eventually it will all come together for you. I don't have any experience with the bark collar, so not sure about that, but sounds like it's working. I do believe strongly that rehearsed behavior begets more of the same - whether it's good or bad. Also if you practice sits, downs, stays and reinforce it while on your walks in random places it helps your pup focus on you. Don't forget great praise and/or treats for good behavior! Fill your tool box up and use what's needed, try new things when something else is not working. Toss things out that don't work for your dog, not all dogs respond the same. Sometimes these dogs out-smart us and we have to out-think them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ddski5

Really like this statement.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

I would also recommend a 'traffic leash.' They're very short but I love mine for walking in crowded situations.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Did it work? :whistle:

13. Ddski5

Yes.

Verbal
    Verbal then Vibrate
    Verbal then Stim

He got the idea and identified what he was being asked- to cut out the whining.

98% eliminated it, will do it from time to time but responds well to “tsst, stop that whining”. He knows.....

• Like Like x 3
  14. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

I train everything with the prong collar then once behavior is learned I pair the prong with the ecollar. Once I am comfortable with the training it is just the ecollar. Bark collars do not work in my dogs, they do not have a high enough setting. I also train barking so I can then train be quiet (shut up) lol. It works well in the house, sit or down command also require quiet once taught. It works great.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

We have a prong collar, e-collar, and a bark collar.

Unfortunately Jasper is just too much to handle on a flat collar around other dogs. The prong collar makes it much easier to control him. Most times he is fine and pulls just a little, but there is always a handful of dogs that give off some sort of energy Jasper doesn’t like. He is getting better since he is maturing.

Bark collar doesn’t work well for us. He still barks in the back yard when the neighbor has her doggy daycare running. I have to correct him with the regular e collar.

I wish that I could walk him with a flat collar. Im not sure we will ever get there. The e collar just makes him more amped up. I just don’t see how I can transition off the prong yet.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ddski5

@Lizbeli
    A really big “YUP”.
    That was Ragnar to a T. Just always seemed to be something somewhere that would get his attention and set him off, esp when it came to other dogs- Always been like that. What really did help was going to the dog park and staying outside the fence. Walking controlled on leash with prong. He was to adhere to commands and if he went off because of the other dogs, then I would lift him up.... So hard to get him to not succumb to the distractions and high drive. You could see it coming- at full alert, stiff, ears at 90dg, and starting to breathe very hard. Command give x3 but still ignoring me- in his own world. Going to the park doing this over and over really desensitized him and now he listens and pays more attention to me than the other dogs. The only thing I wish were different is that I wish he found me more fun and engaging instead of “oh shit, I better behave or Dad is going to lift me up.... I never have figured out how to get him to think I was more fun than others dogs. And I play/train with him a lot- everyday.

He has gotten considerably better, esp since he has matured some- now at 3y/o.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

@Ddski5

Whats funny is my guy will give me all his attention off leash when other unfamiliar dogs are trying to play with him. I even had a dog trying to nip his hind legs and Jasper was focused on running to me. But once the leash goes on, he is pretty dominant. If he decides he doesn’t like a passing dog even my hardest “pop” of the prong doesn’t work. I don’t want to “hang” him in public. I have a fear that someone will call me out and cause an altercation or try to get me in trouble. I can’t risk getting involved with police since I am a dispatcher in another town. Small town means everything is in the paper too.

We are opening up a dog park soon. Its right near a bike path so I might try that.

• Like Like x 1