• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Dry skin home remedies?

sogomango

Hello!
My girl is suffering from some issues with dry skin. She had to have a bath recently, due to some unfortunate rolling. She does not get baths frequently but was having some issues with dry skin previously. I’m hoping to use a home remedy, as opposed to something from the vet if I can avoid it. Any suggestions?

Krill oil and coconut oil will help. One tablespoon of coconut oil a day and the recommended amount based on weight for krill.
You can also do a topical spray of coconut oil and water to help brush with a boar bristle brush :) at least once or twice a week

I also use krill oil and coconut oil. If a bath dried her out that much, I'd have a look at the shampoo. Also make sure you are rinsing really, REALLY well.

I find it also helps to brush their coat twice a week. I use a rubber grooming brush. It’ll help promote the production of oil, increasing shine.

Coconut oil is fantastic. We feed Eden 80/20 which already includes coconut oil and green lipped mussel in the ingredients for multi-health benefits.

Using a harsh shampoo, one with lots of synthetic ingredients, or worse, human shampoo, strips their skin of it’s natural oils, causing dry skin and lots of itching. Also if you use a homemade shampoo (particularly one with vinegar) and you don't get the pH exactly right, it can result in drying out her skin. The best type of shampoo to use on her is a natural one containing Colloidal Oatmeal. The Oatmeal shampoos arn’t for everyone. Some flake more. See how it goes.

GennyB has already mentioned the importance of rinsing. So so important that it’s done thoroughly.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the info guys! I’ve been using the coconut oil and krill oil and I’ve noticed a HUGE difference. She has been progressively less itchy every day and the flaky skin is healing up nicely.

Back