DPCA National and Fall Classic

Doberman Gang

Hot Topics Subscriber
Friday during IGP practice at the Fall Classic, Blaze and I were asked if we could go back to the host hotel and do a protection demo for a group of AKC Judges and future Judges. Craig Fowler, a helper from the Flint Hills WDC was asked to do the helper work.

This was all taking place in a conference room of the hotel, on carpet with tables and chairs around. There were also tables on ends of the room with food and drinks on them. This is not really an optimum working scenario. Strange room, strange people, food smells and a helper Blaze had never seen before. During a lengthy introduction, where the work ability of the doberman has been lost in conformation and that protection did not mean aggression, I was proud that Blaze sat next to me with his head up and didn’t move. So far so good, now I was asked to send Blaze to guard the helper. I did not feel this was really the best idea that would show how the doberman can work. I interjected had stated I would like to have the helper show aggression towards us then send him in to guard. We did this and after a short guard I had Craig give him a grip and fight with him for a short time. Then we had Craig lock up and i asked Blaze to our. He immediately let go and went back to guarding. I then called him back and into Fuss position. We then performed a short side transport, a short escape bite followed with a drive and stick pressure on the dog. After the lock up I outed Blaze again followed by me heeling him away.

We answered many questions about train, the dogs ability to perceive a threat and know the difference. I talked about the use of ecollars, explaining the stimulation being a muscle stim and not an actual electric shock. How it was extension of training first done on leash then paired with the collar to enable our training to be done at a distance. One of the judges asked if Blaze could be allowed to walk around the room with neutral people to see how he was with other strangers in the room. I walked him front of many of the judges while Craig explained how as helpers we are acting aggressive and in a normal situation, even after working with a dog, the dog should be stable and not see him as a threat. I had him come over and he stood next to Blaze and was petting him. The judges were all impressed, many had been snapping pictures and taking video.

I feel this was a great way to express to the AKC and the working Judges that breeding of the doberman has gotten away from there ability to work. It was expressed that breeding pretty only dogs so to make it easier to sell puppies was not the correct way to preserve the breed. That the doberman could still look beautiful and elegant but perform the job they were designed for and succeed in the show ring.

That is awesome and I'm glad the judges appreciated it so perhaps they can see that breeding some of the true qualities out of the breed isn't the best.

I really appreciate you taking the time to demonstrate the working side of the Doberman, the original purpose that Mr. Dobermann had in mind when creating this breed. I love all the events that Dobermans can do, with just a little asking and training they will take their owners to do things with and for their dogs! Doesn't have to be protection sports, even AKC obedience or rally or nose work - these dogs LOVE to DO. Point them a direction, give them a job, they are so joyful to have a "thing" to do with you. Right? We'd lovelovelove to have some photos of this event, if someone sends you some. You were understandably busy!

It is great that they were open minded to learning because this is the kind of crowd that needs to hear it. When you mentioned the food and drinks, I just imagined a wild-eyed Doberman knocking over the tables and eating his way through the place while people run away screaming ;) Of course we know they don’t do that, but that crowd might have been imagining the worst, lol, so good on both of you for bringing your A-game.

Back