• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Double teeth

Bp123

Hope all are doing well!
I have a concern and I’m hoping someone has went through the same thing or has any advice.

my doberman just turned 8 months yesterday. But I notice she still has baby teeth right behind of her new adult teeth. The baby tooth isn’t loose at all.
I can also hear her teeth rubbing against each other when she closes her mouth.
Is this normal for an 8 month old puppy. Should I wait it out until it falls out or should I consult my vet ?
I attached a photo below!!

Attachments

• 04F7336F-8FE3-4A8F-B86F-A6FB7B2CA49F.jpeg
    04F7336F-8FE3-4A8F-B86F-A6FB7B2CA49F.jpeg
    490.2 KB · Views: 7
This happens sometimes – retained puppy teeth. It's common in the upper canines as you show there. I hadn't personally experienced it until my current Dobe. We were feeling close to having to have the vet extract them, but I did go ahead and let him play some tug with a bite/tug article and I think this is what got them to fall out. I think that goes against vet recommendations, but hey, sometimes that's the way things play out. Vets, of course, always are happy to take your money.

Usually they do fall out by 6 or 7 months. I've heard it's a problem to leave them in too long, maybe because of what you mention - hearing them click on another tooth might disturb correct growth & angle of the adult teeth. Like mentioned above, playing some tug games might help, they have a very shallow root.

I had to get one of my boys surgically removed. I waited until he was 1yrs old. Only because I swore it felt like it was getting loose. I kept a close eye on the gums/teeth and checked every day for inflammation. A tooth infection is not good for the dogs health. If it were me- I would give it another month and set it as a deadline for the tooth to come out. If it doesn’t come out then get it pulled. Thankfully my boys teeth are beautiful now, but I probably shouldn’t have waited so long.

Back