Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Dogs that always have our back

Discussion in 'Canine News/Informative Articles' started by JanS, Sep 7, 2019.

1. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Top 10 guardian dogs for your home.

I can't say that I like the impression they give of the Doberman being an outside dog (maybe I'm mis-reading that?) and saying they need at least 1 hour of your time per day. How about 24? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rodyboy

Rodyboy Jr Member

I agree with you about time spent, it is definetly more like 24 hours. They do need to be constantly near you. All of them have been the same way, all day, all night. What I observed as far as outside was to me, exercise or perimeter checks, like the one in the snow. No they absolutely cannot be outside. That is how we got Zoe. In a year she was almost dead from being outside, no third coat and short hair. I really don't get where some peoples heads are. You should know when you choose the breed. Very informative, now I know about the next "it" dog ha.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

OMG! Jazz has Dobie, Mastiff and Ridgeback in her makeup! What they said about the Rhodesian Ridgeback explains some of the difficulties I had with her as a youngster! Loving, loyal, intelligent.............YES. Also Independent, pretty much fearless and an avid hunter! Whew, glad we made it through the puppy stage and she's now a good citizen!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I didn't realize Jazz had Mastiff in her as well. Nice mix!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I struggled to get through the dobie part. That was the perfect description of my Draker Dude if you add 23 hours to the attention seeking.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  6. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Where do they come up with the people who make these lists. That was there top ten??? Do they actually know anything about the dogs they are talking about or are they just regurgitating things they heard on animal planet? WOW

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Member

Now I see how John Q Public gets so mis-informed. Jeez.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jazzies mum

It does tend to be too much of a mouthful to give the whole mix, especially when most of her behaviour traits seem to be Dobe with a few Ridgeback thrown in. Maybe the Mastiff part is showing now that she is over 2 years and really calming down. She actually is content to sleep through the day if nothing is exciting, and now is spending most of the daylight hours no collar, and no fence! This link shows Jazzies sire on the left and her mum in the middle. The dog with the inside out ears is a female of no relation.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Oh Little Oji

Hmm, wow! That looks most similar to a South African Boerboel.

10. jazzies mum

She had no ridge, but had the telltale white markings that are a bit of a trademark, but really there was no true way of knowing for sure. What I do know is that she was the serious guardian of the property. The Dobies would bark and look the part, but it was this ladies attitude that would keep an intruder on the other side of the fence. Hard to see in this clip but she was a lot longer in the body that it looked there. If I look at Jazz with unbiased eyes I see a lanky, longbodied, fast and strong dog...........with a little head! A bit odd looking actually. :love: But I think she is maturing into exactly the companion/guardian I need!

Sorry all, have gone waaaaay off topic!

• Like Like x 1
  11. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Not really since you're talking about several of the breeds they're talking about here.

The Doberman in Jazzies lines must be the predominant breed for her since I'd swear she's a purebred if you hadn't told us differently.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Oh Little Oji

You're right, Jan. They did clearly suggest the Dobe is for property guarding; and maybe it was just poor wording, but they said you just nered to spend one hour with them per day. Perhaps they meant you need one hour of training with them per day. Words and proofreading matter.

• Agree Agree x 1