Dogs Attack Burglar...

I'm not interested in joining a discussion on the gun politics of another continent. I just don't like it when people spout untrue statements and parade them around as "facts". Australia is not the UK; our police carry guns, and going through the right procedures any responsible adult over the age of 18 can acquire a gun. People can debate all they like on threads, speculating on what works or doesn't and the truth is: there isn't one right answer. What works in one place doesn't always work in another because of a variety of factors: culture, population, quality of life etc.

This is going OT, this thread was originally about dangerous dogs and regulations for dog attacks on private property.

I think this thread has unintentionally hit a good debate topic alongside the one going on at the moment about guns. With all these laws in progress to be passed etc about how people can legally defend themselves, are we going to end up in a world where we are.completely defenceless?

Im sure I read somewhere a burglar hurt themselves breaking into someone's house and successfully sued the owner of the house. What the actual hell?

Apologies for.going waaay off topic. May need to borrow gels threadcrapper title soon.

I think this thread has unintentionally hit a good debate topic alongside the one going on at the moment about guns. With all these laws in progress to be passed etc about how people can legally defend themselves, are we going to end up in a world where we are.completely defenceless?

Im sure I read somewhere a burglar hurt themselves breaking into someone's house and successfully sued the owner of the house. What the actual hell?

Apologies for.going waaay off topic. May need to borrow gels threadcrapper title soon.
I offer a lease program:)

I'm not interested in joining a discussion on the gun politics of another continent. I just don't like it when people spout untrue statements and parade them around as "facts". Australia is not the UK; our police carry guns, and going through the right procedures any responsible adult over the age of 18 can acquire a gun. People can debate all they like on threads, speculating on what works or doesn't and the truth is: there isn't one right answer. What works in one place doesn't always work in another because of a variety of factors: culture, population, quality of life etc.

This is going OT, this thread was originally about dangerous dogs and regulations for dog attacks on private property.
:bag:

You calling me thick? :p Being the OP, by all means discus how the law affects a dog biting a burglar, it is related to the OP.

Without getting into the details of the UK law regarding dog bites on home intruders, the simple question to be asked is 'What happens if my pet dog bites an intruder in my house?' - the answer?

This will depend on the exact circumstances of the incident. The following should be used as a guide only for possible scenarios as each case will be considered individually.
  • if you set your dog onto an intruder and the person suffers injury then you may face prosecution and the the court could order the dog to be kept under control/destroyed (dangerous dog not under control)
  • if an intruder breaks in whilst you are out and is attacked by the dog then it is unlikely that you would face the need to defend a possible court order.
There is also civil liability to consider in any damage that your dog may cause. It should be noted that most dogs will simply bark at an intruder but will not follow with a physical attack.

Quote link

So if you were present in the house while the burglary was taking place, how could you prove the dog attacked in defence and not because you instructed it to do so?

So basically at the present time, if an intruder comes into your property, just run away from your home :p

Love the link! What a good girl!!

Bit irritated by the nails comment. From my experience, the front claws do not wear down through walking and need regular trimming. Some of the comments on the articles on that site irritate me anyway lol!

Bit irritated by the nails comment.

Pretty typical response from people who don't like working dogs like Rotties etc - can't fault the dog so may as well blame the owner instead for not walking it on the pavement as much as taking it to a park. You just can't win :D

'The Sun' lol said this:

At present, it is against the law to let a dog be dangerously out of control, but only in a public place.
Tomorrow, environment minister James Paice is expected to tell the Commons it will now be an offence for owners to fail to control pets at home.
A Government source told The Sun: “We’ve had a string of horrific cases where children have been savaged by dogs, but no recourse to law.
“There are also countless cases of postal staff, meter readers and other visitors badly hurt on private property.”
A get-out clause will exclude attacks on burglars or intruders.

Hmm it will be interesting if we can find out what that 'get-out clause' is..

I don't know how it is in the UK... but have they thought of putting things like the mail box or the meter away from where the dog is? For example, if someone has a dog in Australia, it's usually inside of the house or in the backyard with access to the house. The mailbox is out the front of the yard, nowhere near the front door or the dog for that matter, and the same goes for the meter.

I mean, I know you have a lot more terrace type housing over there, but to me it just seems a bit like a no brainer!? As for the packages, postal workers are not allowed to just leave them on the property - they write a note for the owner to pick it up at the nearest post office. Is that different over there?

I don't know how it is in the UK... but have they thought of putting things like the mail box or the meter away from where the dog is? For example, if someone has a dog in Australia, it's usually inside of the house or in the backyard with access to the house. The mailbox is out the front of the yard, nowhere near the front door or the dog for that matter, and the same goes for the meter.

I mean, I know you have a lot more terrace type housing over there, but to me it just seems a bit like a no brainer!? As for the packages, postal workers are not allowed to just leave them on the property - they write a note for the owner to pick it up at the nearest post office. Is that different over there?
Can't speak to the UK but here in US it is like you described. They also have electronic transmitters for the ones that are in the back. Had to let a guy from the electric company in the backyard the other day because our transmitter wasn't working. Thankfully a creepy woman claiming our dogs had gotten out and were running in the front yard last year caused us to padlock the gate so he couldn't have accidentally wandered in where he didn't belong. Our mailbox is also well outside the fenceline.

Here in Germany even in the apartments there's a central wall or corridor where all the mailboxes are located. There are still some doors with mail slots, but that's not very common. They're the kind that you can't exactly stick a hand in (very narrow with a flap that opens inwards)... and the meters are inside the buildings (which the owner would have to let you in to get to anyways), or in the cellar where someone likewise could not just go in unannounced. For meter readings here, they make an official appointment with each resident.

So basically at the present time, if an intruder comes into your property, just run away from your home :p
Naw in Texas we just shoot them. I would never want my babies to get hurt dealing with a burglar. They come in but they don't get the chance to go find a neighbors doghouse. We don't play, we are armed and we will continue to defend out property which our dog is considered our property here.

Naw in Texas we just shoot them. I would never want my babies to get hurt dealing with a burglar. They come in but they don't get the chance to go find a neighbors doghouse. We don't play, we are armed and we will continue to defend out property which our dog is considered our property here.
Dogs are property in CO, too. But it doesn't work in our favor here. The law says you should not shoot in defense of pure property, only people, so you cannot shoot to defend your dog, not a clean shoot anyway.

We have numerous mail delivery firms in the UK. The Post Office will not (should not) leave a parcel if no-one is in, they will not go around to the back door, they do as your PO does and leave a note to pick up from the local sorting office.

Our mail boxes (letter box) are in the front door, big enough for letters, not big enough for the majority of parcels. Other firms may go around the back and leave parcels at the back door because they are either being 'nice' or they do not want to have to drive back to redeliver or it's within their delivery their policy. Some people do have a proper mail box screwed to the wall near the front door or on the edge of the property.

No-one can get through to my back door, fully enclosed with a 6 ft fence and big 6 ft high wrought iron padlocked gates through to the back. They would have to climb over to get to the back and if they should they will know dogs live here as both my dogs will be going bonkers. You can hear the gates reverberating on its hinges through the house as one of the gates is bolted onto the side of my house and they know that sound ever so well :D

See, why couldn't they require dog owners to make sure that their mail box is not in a location that could endanger the postal worker and then fine people based on not complying with that? It's not the least bit difficult nor cost prohibitive to screw a proper mail box onto the wall etc.

The police here in KC told a friend of mine that if someone tries to break in to make sure they are all the way inside before you shoot them. I guess if they are in your house they are considered a threat but nor if they are outside. So I would think if they get inside you could also tell your dogs to attack. Are mailboxes are at the street where the mailman doesnt even have to get out of there vehicle.

Back