Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Dog whistle

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by kimmiel, Sep 14, 2020.

1. kimmiel

kimmiel New Member

Do you use a whistle for calling your dog?

2. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

What a good question. Do you mean a whistle like you can hold in your hand, or do you mean a whistle made just by the mouth?

I always figured it would be no good to train a dog to a hand-held whistle – at least not for vital basic commands – because you may find yourself without the whistle when you need it.

Yes, though, I do have a whistle that I make with my mouth and it is my Dobe's recall command. In fact, it's the only recall command I have! Any other verbal sort of calling him to me is a less formal command that generally means hey, come on over here will ya'? The whistle, however, means he must come to me in a hurry and sit straight in front of me until I tell him he can move.

• Like Like x 3
  3. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

No but she has en eCollar with a tone on it; same idea, I would think.

4. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I do teach our dogs whistle training since those reach way farther than the human voice or whistle can. We have a coaches whistle and it's loud.

Our first Doberman, Boris once got turned around in our woods and he just couldn't hear us so we got the whistle out and he came right away. He was scared (so were we) when he couldn't find us but that did the trick.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow x 1
  5. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

I carry a whistle when I hike in the forest. Like @JanS said, it carries the sound further and is easier than the mouth whistle. My dog will return at the store-bought whistle or the fingers in my mouth whistle. For regular ring-type obedience training I just call "Here!" and that does mean formal come front and sit. If you hike a lot, a $3 whistle is well worth it. Also I found out recently that repeated 3 short blasts on the whistle is like an SOS. So if you are lost or hurt and you know someone is looking for you that's a way to help them find you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. kimmiel

kimmiel New Member

• Like Like x 1
  7. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I can whistle myself but not very loud and not very good. It's very frustrating. LOL I would love to be able to whistle like people do with two fingers to your mouth? My son can do that and I'm very envious! It's nice and loud! My dad could always do that too. Man, both of them can get the attention in a loud room with that whistle! :spit:

So for that reason my dogs have never really been trained to the whistle. Sometimes when I'm outside and I come in the house to get them I will whistle for them and they'll come running. I also whistle to my horses and they always know that when I do that, I have a treat for them.

I did buy myself a whistle one day.
    20200915_055040.jpg

Like @Ravenbird said, I figured it might come in handy. One day when Buddy was out and I didn't have my eyes on him, I blew that whistle. He ended up coming around the corner and back up to the house. Without even being trained to it. I think he somehow I knew that the whistle meant I was looking for him.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 4
    • Wow x 1
  8. Oh Little Oji

This actually makes me want to get a whistle and reserve that sound for when call him to me and have something extra special good. After some training on that, I'd reserve the whistle for emergencies or potential emergencies.

As far as detailed training for dog via whistle (like, you know, robbing banks) I don't know about that.

So, what's the deal with "dog whistles" that supposedly only dogs can hear??

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Those are mentioned in the article link above. It's just a higher pitch. I have a coach whistle found in Walmart where the sports stuff is, it's metal instead of plastic and was $3 or $4. Works like gangbusters. I don't know what it is about a whistle but dogs seem to come running when they hear it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Oh Little Oji

Oh cool. I had the feeling that this thread was started as a sort of spam, and as such, I didn't click the link.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I tried one years ago and the dogs never responded at all so it felt like I was blowing into the air to try to get their attention. LOL

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Hot Topics Subscriber

It has just sort of evolved that Jazz responds to a good old fingers in the mouth loud whistle. It really carries and is an individual sound so no one elses whistle sounds the same. She will come on the run to that sound, as it's me calling my pack together, not a training exercise, and usually means we are off on a mission or it's time to get in the car.

• Like Like x 2
  13. MyBuddy

Exactly. Make sure you have something extra good as a reward and it'll happen. I made sure I rewarded Buddy every time he came when I blew that whistle. That was the only "training" I did. :D

That's the best whistle! I wish I could do that!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Oh Little Oji

Yes, sometimes the best things are the simplest!!

Yes, I've never learned to do that finger in the mouth whistle! I don't get it! One of my best friends growing up would sometimes do it without warning me and it was so irritating to have that burst of noise without me plugging my ears.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. MyBuddy

Oh yeah when my dad or my son do that, you get instant attention! LOL it's loud and piercing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1