• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Dog Training book or Doberman Pinscher Training Book?

K@r3nK9

Jr Member
Hi everyone.

Just a quick question. I would love to get myself a Training Manual before my Dobie arrives. Should I get a normal dog training book or a Doberman Pinscher training book. I'm especially looking for a Dobie Training Book coz breeds are not all the same.

What do you think and any advice on good training books?

Ps: I'm also reading allot on training your puppy and understanding them.

The books I have bought in the past are now outdated and nothing I would recommend. Now I have turned more to DVDs.

This is a really good video on marker training: Leerburg | The Power of Training Dogs with Markers DVD

And you can watch a 7 part lecture on dog training with a concentration on marker training starting with Part 1 here: Leerburg On Demand | Michael Ellis Lecture -- Part One You can find the other 6 parts on the website.

I mostly read articles and watch video since I live in a remote area where I don't have access to regular dog training classes. My first choice would have been to go to obedience classes if they had been available within a reasonable drive from home.

Hi Ingrid.
Thank you for the fast reply :)

I will deffinitely go and check these links out and there is a dog trainer just down the road from us, but the dogs I met (that he has already trained) is still the same, still dissobedient - biting, jumping up, lots of barking, and running smaller people and children over. I think I will be better off on my own :) And luckily Dobies are very smart, you don't need to go to extremes for them to understand.

I have the Cesar Millan book and would be please to send it for you as I have finished with it, I live in the UK so it would take a few days to get there but you are more than welcome to it, if you are interested send me your address in a private message, no charge:)

Hallo again, umm, I'm having a bit of trouble sending you a private message. Sorry, probably having a blond moment but really can't find the message option on your profile, only the shout out section. I'm going to write on your shout out section and give you my e-mail there :)

I like the Good Dog series, it's on Hulu and probably on DVD too. Dr. Coren has tons of great information on rearing puppies and training, in addition to correcting bad behavior. It only just touches on things like agility training, being mostly just the basics.

Another Q: Did you tape your babies ears?? They are looking perfect, no flying nun whatsoever :)

no they were never taped, some people tape them if they are high up but I would say most Dobes don't need them taped down, I would just wait and see, have you got any pictures of your puppy?

:love:
got it parcelled up ready for the post in the morning Karen;)

Oh maaaaaaan!! Can't thank you enough, there should be more people like you out there!!
I will be waiting on the edge of my seat... :)

Anyway, time for picies :party:
I just got them yesterday and my baby Diezel is ONLY 24days old mommy... :love:

Witbank-20120920-00384.jpg

He is totaly huge!!!
Witbank-20120920-00387.jpg

Witbank-20120920-00388.jpg
He's my sweetie pie mommy!!

looking at these pictures I don't think his ears will need taped, they look good he has a nice broad head, he is a real chunky boy:)

One my favorites like Ingrid are the Leerburg training videos. We also have turned more to DVD's BowWowFlix.com: Dog DVD Rentals | Dog Training Dvd | Dog Dvds | Rent Dog Videos and many of Michael Ellis's are available there.

Thank you.... :wow:Your Dobie looks really good. I so wish I can also get my dobies ears done, but its ilegal in South Africa. "deeeeep sigh" but thats ok, will love him anyway :) Judith's babies look so beautiful and handsom, so I'm feeling much better now, was afraid it might look funny, but they look very very good.

Back