Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Dog missing 10 years found in Alabama

Discussion in 'Canine News/Informative Articles' started by JanS, May 26, 2016.

1. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Dog missing 10 years found in Alabama, returning to owner
    By JAY REEVES Associated Press
    APRIL 29, 2016 — 6:03PM

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — Tracy Dove assumed the worst after her 1-year-old dog named Charlie disappeared in 2006. Days without the animal turned into years, and Dove figured the brown-and-white pointer was dead.

Then, last week, Dove's phone rang: Charlie had been found alive near the south Alabama town of Brewton. A veterinary clinic tracked her down using a microchip that Dove had implanted in the dog when it was young.

(01:16) : A 12-year-old dog, Charlie, was reunited with his family after being missing for 10 years. After being rescued and examined for a microchip, he was taken to a veterinary clinic, where he is undergoing tests for a cancerous tumor.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The photo taken Thursday, April 21, 2016 in Brewton, Ala., shows a dog named Charlie that went missing 10 years ago and is now being reunited with its owner. Discovered outside a church about 250 miles from his last known home, the dog had an implanted microchip that allowed a worker at a veterinary clinic to locate its owner, Tracy Dove of Corner. Charlie will undergo surgery for a cancerous tumor on its chest as soon as it is healthy enough.

"It's an expensive hunting dog. We just kept him as a pet," said Dove. "He was a spoiled rotten pet."

After Charlie disappeared, Dove kept updating her contact information in an online database used to match animal owners with pets that are implanted with microchips for identification, but she never thought she'd see the dog again.

Charlie's road back began when a neighbor told animal rescuer Renee Jones about a dog that was lying on the steps of a church near Brewton, about 250 miles from the dog's last known home. Volunteers took the dog to Spring Hill Animal Clinic in Mobile, where a worker found the microchip.

"We often get dogs with microchips, but often the information hasn't been updated and the phone numbers don't work," said Jones, director of Souls on Board Rescue Ride, a nonprofit organization. "When the number worked, it was pretty wild."

Dove didn't know what to think when the call came.

"I was shocked and at first I thought 'This has got to be a scam' because it's been 10 years," she said. "They sent me a picture and I talked with them, and it's my Charlie."

Donations from an online fundraiser will cover the cost of the dog's surgery, and Dove plans to be there when it's done.

"He's too weak and sick to make the trip home, so I am going to stay down there with him until he's well enough to come home," she said. "And then he'll be my dog again."

Original source:
    Dog missing 10 years found in Alabama, returning to owner

• Like Like x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  2. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Wow. 10 years! Can you imagine!?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

LOVE IT!

4. katie's mom

katie's mom Member

Oh, I love a GSP.... I so hope he is ok. What a story he could tell!!! Even if his life is near an end, he will spend it with his people

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Wow....10 Years?! That is incredible! So happy for them both :)