Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Dog Jobs

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by FirstTimeDober3, Aug 12, 2017.

1. FirstTimeDober3

FirstTimeDober3 New Member

First off, let me say that Atlas is doing awesome. We began his new obedience class 3 weeks ago, and he has quickly become a favorite in the class. He is actually the "demo dog" because he is so willing to work with any trainer. The constantly comment on what a great temperament he has which is great to hear.

The reason for this thread is that I read a lot about dobermans being working dogs and needing jobs. My question is, what kinds of jobs have you all found to be successful and how should I implement them. Atlas gets at least an hour or 2 of exercise every day, but commonly, ESPECIALLY at night, he just roams around as if he is bored. He gets bored with toys pretty quickly which makes it tough to keep him engaged and out of trouble. Just wondering if you guys have any suggestions for jobs that your dobes seem to excel at and stay busy with.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

A great question. Especially as we are dealing with an energetic and smart breed.
    I would suggest making him 'work' for everything, food, toys etc... you could always teach him simple things like retrieving or putting his toys away.
    My dobe is in training for Canicross - running cross country with your dog. You teach him signals and work him mentally & physically.
    My husband is also self-employed as a builder so Kobi goes to work with him daily and will patrol the building site.

How old is he? A backpack is great idea and they feel like they have a purpose. Let him carry his ball, poop bags etc...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

We are dealing with the same "night issue" as well- it's like the witching hours before bed. Shadow wants to play, play, play.. we are working on our relax but it is slow going and Shadow is very persistent. She gets plenty of exercise do I don't want to increase her stamina by doing more physical exercise. I've found some old dog trick books (that I bought for the kids long ago) so I'm hoping that will stimulate her mentally. But I'd love to hear what others do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

We've recently taken up agility and Rubie LOVES it! I have a little set-up in an empty bedroom with a couple of seriously make-shift jumps. As soon as I open the door, she runs and and does the jumps and then goes and lays down on our practice platform; so proud of herself. The jumping and what not involved with agility should wait until they're older, though.

We've been working a lot on structured walks (ie: we only stop and sniff when mom says it's ok and stay in a heel position) lately. Rubie has to wait until we tell her it's "ok" to eat her food; she only get's meal prep snacks when she's sitting on a mat; she's only allowed on the couch if she's being calm. We do have a backpack, as well, but we haven't been using it in the heat. We play hide and seek in the house sometimes (put her in a sit or down and 'stay,' the run into a different room and hide behind something or use extra yummy treats and hide them and tell her to 'find').

Try and incorporate what you're learning in obedience class into games at home. What kind of things do they have you working on, currently?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

A thought occurred to me today that might be a good job for my boy.

I was watering plants and noticed the tell tail traces of a tomato worm on one of the plants.
    I peeled him off and dropped it on the concrete.
    Told Rocky to get it. :eek:

Get the bug is a phrase that rivals "Squirrel!" in Rockys world.:D

He didn't really want to mess with it, I don't blame him they're kind of gross.

Anyhow, I told him get the bug several times.
    He pawed at it a couple times then stepped towards the plant, sniffed around a bit and nose poked another worm on the plant I had missed.

I'm thinking without too much trouble I can train him to help me find them more often. It'll be fun and productive since those little pests can destroy so much plant in such a small time.

I do know another activity that might work, but it might be more "work" than you're ready to tackle?
    image.jpg
    These two would go out back about sun down and go gladiator style on each other till dark.
    There was little roaming in the evenings after that.;)
    image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2