• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Dog food opinions and recommendations

Shashie559

Hello, so I was wondering what are your guys’ opinions on certain brands of dog foods… Or on adding simple ingredients to their kibbles??

I’m thinking of switching her to
Taste of the Wild brand

She’s 8 months old weighting at approximately 40 lbs. should I continue to feed her puppy or change to adult?

Excuse me if I do this wrong. She’s the first dog I’ve ever personally owned… but I do sometimes (most of the time) boil chicken or cook beef without seasoning and add it to her kibble along with baby Carrots. If it’s chicken I add some of the chicken broth to her food.

Or if not taste of the wild, What are your guys recommendations on dog foods?

I’ll attach screenshots of which ones I’m considering…

Thank you in advanced.

Attachments

• 4040E84E-EEC0-41F4-B79C-598CE6C3D1C8.jpeg
    4040E84E-EEC0-41F4-B79C-598CE6C3D1C8.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 0AE9BDBB-05A5-4ADC-93F4-F160FF0299E9.jpeg
    0AE9BDBB-05A5-4ADC-93F4-F160FF0299E9.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 2
I feed Fromm with grain. I would advise not feeding puppy food, but instead an All Life Stages food. Puppy food has a very high protein content and with large dogs can cause knuckling. The bones of the legs grow too quickly and they can become deformed, crippling the dog. Check out dogfoodadvisor.com they have ratings on a multitude of different foods. You will need to find one that suits your dog best.

knuckling 2.jpgkuckling 3.jpg

I feed Fromm with grain. I would advise not feeding puppy food, but instead an All Life Stages food. Puppy food has a very high protein content and with large dogs can cause knuckling. The bones of the legs grow too quickly and they can become deformed, crippling the dog. Check out dogfoodadvisor.com they have ratings on a multitude of different foods. You will need to find one that suits your dog best.

View attachment 130244View attachment 130245
Wow. I did not even know that was a thing. How sad! Thank you for the heads up!
And yes I’ll most definitely check out that website! Thank you!

Hi, I used TOTW for mine. It works well with my dog. I used the bison (no the puppy one) since if im not wrong its the highest rating besides the ancient grains (via dogfoodadvisor). I think i prefer adult food.

There are as many opinions on feeding dogs as their are dog owners :D

We also feed Fromm with grains. As for toppers, we use a spoonful of yogurt to 'carry' their Vit C and Ligaplex and a drizzle of Honest Kitchen Bone Broth on their breakfast (they both also get Dasuquin). They get some raw food (in patty form) with their kibble in the evening.

This works for us, our budget, what's available, and our dogs do well on it (no weight fluctuations, healthy stools, etc.).

I feed: Members Mark Lamb and rice and MM Chicken and rice. I have a Bernese Mountain dog who is 10.5 years old having been on that food. My doberman does well on it and looks and acts healthy (except that she is a crackpot many times during a day)

One story I will tell is that My freind took her doberman to see a cardiologist at Univeristy of Iowa, and that doctor's opinion was that Dobermans should not have a grain free diet, due to their tendencies to get DCM. just FWIW.

We feed TOTW Wetlands formula and they've always done well on it. As for toppers, we just use a spoonful of canned food without any junk fillers.

Heidi Klum eats Kibble with Costco $5 broiled chicken . Cheaper than most canned dog food .I practically filled 4 cans from 1 chicken and have some myself. For a noon treat she gets a Costco Farmer John wiener. Way less than the treats from pet stores or Costco . You get 4 packs of 15 wieners
{ 60}for less than $8 bucks. She eats well and seems happy and healthy to me. Cut up wiener good for training. She is also particularly fond of Coconut oil . I add a little every day. Easy menu ! She is almost two years old.

Back