Dog food flavors

Firestar Dobe

Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
I'm not sure if anyone else thinks this way, but I am always looking for different flavors of treats and food for the Sinisters. Nutrition comes first and then flavor. I try all sorts of things to change up treats so that they have variety. I pay attention to every detail such as nutrition, size, where it's made and flavor. Hubby chuckles at me because he says "They eat pine cones, grass, weeds, bugs, you name it and they eat it and you're worried about flavor?". Now that I've stopped to really think about it, it does sound a little strange! I wonder if the Sinisters ever look at each other and think "Is she serious, hasn't she figured out yet that we don't care as long as it's edible? She needs more training! :rockon:mom". :facepalm:

I am crazy about treats but trying to tone it down haha. I love to give variety too just to keep him guessing for what we’ve got in our pockets (also helps to improve recall!). As for flavors, I can say that red meats are more interesting to Kaiser than poultry but he really doesn’t say no to much, he wants to try everything really. He is really keen on anything that is liver-based and bacon-y scents draw his attention too. Of course, tripe, the biggest stinker of them all is a real joy for him to have, so naturally, I found some tripe treats that are smoked and they smell almost like sausage, not offensive at all.

Our boy loves rabbit treats we have notice and I think his favourite is dehydrated sweet potato slices that we get for him! I love giving him treats and finding new ones but I as well need to Tone it down :p after doing a lot of research into ingredients and such it’s an adventure to find treats that are good for them with good ingredients. Now anytime I’m in Walmart and see the treat section I cringe.

But like you said all this thought and effort for our fur baby’s treats and they will eat almost anything. Aha my boy tried to eat my cats hair ball/throw up the other day and would have done it if I let him :green:

We always stop at our local For Pet's Sake shop for frozen raw grinds. If she happens to get new samples in, she always gives me a few and I use them for treats. One really blew my mind....
Earthborn VENTURE - Squid & chickpea it's 34% Protein 14% fat... my dogs will not even taste it. One smell and "heck no".
Nutri Source Pure Vita - Kangaroo & green lentils 25% Protein 15% fat
N&D Quinoa- Skin & Coat (quail-quinoa-coconut-turmeric recipe) 23% Protein 12% fat

Update on the Venture Squid & Chickpea..... the puppies even spit it out. So... maybe the birds, squirrels or possum will eat it.

Back