1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Dog dies after eating Earth Animal no-hide chicken chews

Discussion in 'Doberman Health and News Articles' started by My2Girls, Jul 25, 2017.

1. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

This popped up on my FB feed and I've posted this to the healthy treats thread. A member was using the Salmon version. But I thought it might get more views in its own thread just in case someone else is using these.
    Dog dies hours after owner gives her a treat

• Empathetic Empathetic x 6
  2. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

That's is sad! Any chews given to a dog should be supervised. The owner was on a conference call. Besides the treat or bone should be sized to the dog on the package. But I guess it was not on it?
    Part of it got caught in its throat.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Needless death. Had the item been sized properly for the dog this could have been avoided.

I do wish pet products had some standard sizing. At the end of the article it says a giant dog is anything over 75 lbs., but the suggested size of 11" sounds appropriate.

4. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

So sad. :( I won't give our dogs Greenies for this reason, even though they're supposed to be safe.

5. KSmith

KSmith Member

Oh wow. So sad. I give those chews to my dogs! They stink to high heavens but always thought they were the healthier option. These days though are their really any healthy options? :down:

6. strykerdobe

Raw Meaty bones only!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I've never heard of these. Still, very sad :(

We give raw meaty bones, venison and lamb ribs, beef tracheas, ducks feet and dried rabbits ears with fur. Always under supervision.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I keep a freezer draw full of Kobi's treats. I buy frozen and then separate and bag the treats individually. Cost wise, you can't beat it. For example 1kg of ducks feet = £2.50 a great way to save money and give a good, healthy treat.

IMG_4431.JPG

Oh, I forgot these...

IMG_4433.JPG

Frozen ducks necks. They are classed as edible bones due to them being soft, pliable and easily crushed. When you can buy 1kg for approximately £2.20 it's an absolute bargain.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. strykerdobe

Here is an UPDATE on Earth Animal product

[​IMG]
    upload_2017-7-28_10-24-5.gif
    Is No-Hide Dog Treat Actually Hide?
    A dog has died. The treat stuck in the dog’s throat – which killed her – is sold to consumers as a “healthier alternative to Rawhide”. However…a PhD leather expert told us No-Hide dog treat “is absolutely rawhide split material.”
    http://truthaboutpetfood.com/is-no-hide-dog-treat-actually-hide/
    Wishing you and your pet(s) the best,

Susan Thixton
    Pet Food Safety Advocate
    Author Buyer Beware, Co-Author Dinner PAWsible
    TruthaboutPetFood.com
    Association for Truth in Pet Food

What’s in Your Pet’s Food?
    Is your dog or cat eating risk ingredients? Chinese imports? Petsumer Report tells the ‘rest of the story’ on over 4,000 cat foods, dog foods, and pet treats. 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee. Click Here to preview Petsumer Report. www.PetsumerReport.com

10. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

Ever since the rawhide stuff made the news years and years ago I've stopped using it. It was nasty. I remember it would get all balled up and sticky and gross. I'm surprised they still sell the stuff. I made the mistake of commenting on it to someone behind me purchasing it at Petco. They didn't want to hear it - their dog "loved" it. I still cringe when I see people buying it especially during the holidays when they dye them and make them into holiday shapes.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I bought some beef-hide treats which said they were not raw-hide but better and safer. When I mentioned it to Kaiser's care giver, she objected to it by saying they are probably bleached. So I went home and re-read the package and it said it wasn't bleached but the things were white! So, reluctantly, I thought better safe than sorry and returned it. Months later I got an email from Costco plus a letter with a recall notice! No dogs died, but some had gotten diarrhea. I was so glad I listened!

[​IMG]

Recall Notice: Healthy Hide Beefhide Treats - Costco West Fan Blog

• Like Like x 1
  12. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

I just stay away from anything "hide".

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. strykerdobe

14. strykerdobe

New Information!

[​IMG]
    upload_2017-8-1_7-51-22.gif
    USDA says No-Hide Treats are “NOT” Made Under Inspection
    The District Manager of the Philadelphia District of USDA told TruthaboutPetFood.com “The pet treats are NOT manufactured under USDA inspection.”
    http://truthaboutpetfood.com/usda-says-no-hide-treats-are-not-made-under-inspection/
    Wishing you and your pet(s) the best,

Susan Thixton
    Pet Food Safety Advocate
    Author Buyer Beware, Co-Author Dinner PAWsible
    TruthaboutPetFood.com
    Association for Truth in Pet Food

What’s in Your Pet’s Food?
    Is your dog or cat eating risk ingredients? Chinese imports? Petsumer Report tells the ‘rest of the story’ on over 4,000 cat foods, dog foods, and pet treats. 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee. Click Here to preview Petsumer Report. www.PetsumerReport.com

• Informative Informative x 3
  15. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I agree. I stopped giving them years ago but it wasn't until fairly recently that I watched a video on how they were made and nearly threw up. :wideyed:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. strykerdobe

I really thought this brand Earth Animal was a good one! :poop:
    Maybe the manufacturer cut corners?????
    We will see in time.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

We've been using a local company's dehydrated sweet potato chews.
    They're a one ingredient product.

I'm not sure why they smell to high heaven, but he loves them.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I was just looking into getting a dehydrator for us. Sweet potato is something we can do for the dog. I can see that being chewy, but how long does one piece usually last?

I think they spray stinky things on dog treats so people think the dog is enjoying it more.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

They only last a minute or so.

If they are spraying something, then their packaging advertising is deceptive.

20. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Ugh, only a minute?! Not even worth the effort. Makes me wonder what the smell is. Can't be as bad as a bully stick haha.