Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Does my puppy not like me?

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by ZeusandZoe, Sep 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ZeusandZoe

ZeusandZoe New Member

I got a Doberman puppy this week named Zeus. I’ve wanted a Doberman for a long while and finally had the time money etc for a Dobie puppy. I was hoping to get a best friend of my own and liked how dobermans stuck to a person but he’s been sticking with my fiancé way more than me. I feed him and train him etc and my fiancé just occasionally plays with him. Am I doing something wrong? Is it just a puppy thing? Maybe I’m giving him too much attention?

2. Atingles10

Atingles10 Notable member

This is normal and im sure your puppy loves you too! Just remember all the changes your pup is going through right now especially only being there for a week. Sometimes they do bond to one person more than the other. I wanted a Male for that exact reason because I wanted him to be stuck to me and they say sometimes they tend to attach to the opposite sex. I would give your pup time and continue to build your bond!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

TBH, I have read this circumstance often on here. The Doberman pup seemingly bonding more with the fiancé/boyfriend.

My recommendation would be that you feed your pup and make it a special occasion. Train daily with him and make sure it’s fun. Create situations in which he associates fun and happiness with your presence. I would put down 20/30 bits of kibble in the house and I would guide mine through the house finding the prizes. Esp used this during rainy days- loved it.

All in all though, if you are the one that feeds and trains him daily, I think he should come around.

• Like Like x 2
  4. CRDobe

CRDobe Notable member

Remember, you've only had him for a week and he is just a baby.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Rodyboy

Rodyboy Jr Member

I had a boy named Zeus years ago. Don't worry, he loves you. Only a week, well after a while he will attach to his whole pack. Even if he does show favortism he will still be loyal to his whole family. He is so new he can't even decide at this point. He doesn't even know how to show love yet in his dobe way. Time is on your side.

• Like Like x 1
  6. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

My girl didn't really bond with anyone when she first got here. She preferred the dogs to the humans. She did not cuddle and if you sat down next to her she would move away! I was resigned to the fact that maybe she just wasn't a cuddler...few months later after watching my other dogs laying on me every chance I sat down, she realized she might be missing out on something good! She is 3 yrs old now and my personal SHADOW! Give the pup time. (P.S. I am home all day to cater to her every need....but when my son, 17, walks in, I am chopped liver, lol) :facepalm:

• Like Like x 3
  7. ZeusandZoe

ZeusandZoe New Member

Alright :) do you know what I can do to make me and Zeus’s bond stronger as he grows up?

8. ZeusandZoe

ZeusandZoe New Member

Alright thank you:) I’ll try out the maze

9. ZeusandZoe

ZeusandZoe New Member

Alright:) excited to see what time will tell and lol

10. ZeusandZoe

ZeusandZoe New Member

Also happy birthday ruby :D

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  11. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

Wouldn’t take it personally as long as he respects you as the pack leader. I do 95% of the training. 80% of the feeding and all the grooming etc. However he still prefers my wife over me lol. When she comes home his nub wags fast enough to paddle a boat and the excitement he gets. I get maybe half the excitement lol.

However I’m the one who structures and doesn’t tolerate his shenanigans. My wife will baby him and he realizes that so he flocks to her.

So don’t take it personally lol.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

We had this back and forth for a while. My hb was home with the dog but Kaiser’s little tail would go crazy when I got home and it made my hb feel a bit dejected since he was doing all the hard work of being around our little psycho puppy. Nowadays the tables are turned and Kaiser has eyes mainly for his master but he still checks in on me too, like when he needs his ears or belly rubbed lol.

13. ZeusandZoe

ZeusandZoe New Member

Thank you this is very reassuring:)

14. ZeusandZoe

ZeusandZoe New Member

This gets my hopes up! Hoping he sticks with me

15. ZeusandZoe

ZeusandZoe New Member

:thumbsup: Thank you I won’t take it too personal now

16. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

Yep, it can take a while for a puppy to bond with you. It doesn't mean he doesn't like you though. Jazz was another pup who really preferred dogs and had to learn that I was fun too. This meant teaching her to play with me, not as if I was another dog, but fun human interaction games. Tug, flirt pole when she was a bit older, and when she learned to fetch it changed all! If I have the thrower in hand she has eyes only for me, no matter what else is going on! Being the primary care giver and trainer doesn't automatically mean that you will get the most obvious excitement and fawning.

But there will be milestones when you are shown respect and obedience from your pup, just because he wants to please, and then he will start to read your mind! :woot2::shock:

Jazz has always been a flirt and LOOOOOVES some men, especially young men, which can be embarrassing! Lately when we went on a group camping trip she took a shine to my friends husband Terry. She would gaze at him willing him to pay her some attention! Beg with her eyes for that morsel of bacon and was really laying it on! I know though that her deep bond is with me and she would choose to stay close to me by preference. I am her pack! :)

I was too sick from a gastro bug to walk her on a travel break and stayed in a picnic shelter. These pics were taken without her knowing I was looking, and you can see that rubber band that links us. She was aware of where I was at all times and quite keen to return. :love: IMG_20190822_122830.jpg IMG_20190822_122843.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. ZeusandZoe

ZeusandZoe New Member

Awww thank you for the reassurance :) just kinda sucks in my opinion because I’m the one who does everything for Zeus :sweatsmile: your pup is adorable and seeing how she wanted to come back to you gave me a bunch of hope :D