Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Does molefoam work?

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Ramos.cindy, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Ramos.cindy

Ramos.cindy Jr Member

Kings ears are still down the backer rod method was not working for him due to the tape. would molefoam work ? how does this method?

2. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Hey!

I have never used mole foam, but I have seen it discussed on here as a viable tool.

Since I don't really know about the method, all I can tell you is just type in mole foam into the search field and I bet it will yield results. There is an option to search thread titles only, or to let it search the text as well.

I just wanted to reply. I don't mean to be like "just go search!" or anything. :)

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I've heard that molefoam works very well but requires much glue, solvents, and sometimes even shaving of the hair on ears.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

When I brought my girl home I researched posting techniques because I only knew the backer rod method. Thought some research was in order because things are always changing and it had been awhile since I had a pup.
    The general consensus was the molefoam had a low success rate and gave the ears a weird look. The ears need a rod to form around to give them the right look.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Atingles10

Atingles10 Member

20190308_164840.jpg
    We used molefoam and it was so easy! At times we would add zip ties on just the top half to get the tips.

Our guy has a big bell so it worked well. We just used mole foam, torbots adhesive that we ordered on amazon, and cotton balls on the bottom. We would leave them in for 5 days at a time. When the 5 days was up we used unisolve to remove it and clean them. Once we got the hang of it the removing and reposting was very quick and easy.

I watched YouTube videos to get ideas. 20181111_102308.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Ramos.cindy

Ramos.cindy Jr Member

my puppies ears are cropped but still down do you think this well work ? did you use a bridge?

Attached Files:

7. Ramos.cindy

Ramos.cindy Jr Member

is it normal for his ears to still be down after the crop ?

8. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

It is normal for them to be flopped over if they haven't been posted long, if thats what you are asking. I would get them posted asap if they are healed. He looks like he has a pretty long crop and will need the most posted as he can get. I haven't read enough about the molefoam method due to the fact that I think the backer rod method seems to get the best looking ears when they are done. I have also considered zip tie method but your guys ears may be too long for that as I am not sure if it will offer enough support.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ramos.cindy

Ramos.cindy Jr Member

his ears got soars from the tape in the backroad method that's why im looking for new methods

10. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Try looking into the zip tie method. It will allow you to post and heal at the same time since no tape is needed to wrap around. It just sits inside his ear and I believe a small piece of folded tape at the tip.

I do believe the backer rod method in and of itself is not why he go the sores. If I remember correctly you posted regarding it and there were a few good ideas of why he got them and how you could avoid it happening again. Either way, I hope you find a method that works for the both of you! Maybe others will chime in too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Atingles10

Atingles10 Member

We did use a bridge but only for the first week I believe. Our guys ears were down for 2 weeks after the surgery until they healed. The vet posted them for 6 days before we had to undo it. The vet had used starter fluid on the tape which caused horrible sores on our guys ears and they were raw. We left them down for over a week again while they healed from that. This is when we started to use the mole foam. Your guy looks like he has a much longer crop.

We found very thick zip ties and cut them to be them the length of the tip of his ear to that little nub inside. We covered the zip tie in tap, and then used the adhesive to adhere it to the inside of the ear. We then had our molefoam already prepared to go on next. We would cut it in half, and then cut the bottom to make a little cone, as if you were making a funnel. We used athletic tape to keep this part together and hold the cotton on. Then it was just a matter of adding the adhesive and placing it down inside the ear and over the zip tie. This gave more support to the zip ties by providing a base.

It sounds like a lot of work but once we had the hang of it the longest part was the prep. As you saw on our guy he does have the big open bell on the bottom. The vet obviously cropped them with the big base so that plays a role. Im unsure if using the backer rod method would have made them appear differently or not have the "weird" look but we love him just the same ❤

Good luck with your pups ears, I hope you find what works for the both of you

• Like Like x 3
  12. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

Not many of us use the Molefoam method so I’m not sure how many responses you’ll get. Have you googled YouTube videos.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Drogon

Drogon $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

That's the method I have used as well. So much better than backer rod posts. Don't have to worry about them getting wet. More airflow to the ear canal.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

What kind of tape were you using? That makes a big difference.

I tried the mole foam and that lasted for less then an hour since Albert hated it so much. LOL

15. wendyjoyce97

wendyjoyce97 Novitiate

YOUR guy's ears look amazing! Wow. If that isn't an ad for using the mole foam nothing is. Our girl has posted a few times (7-10 days), with 5 day breaks - she is 5 months old - we will take the posts out tomorrow, and my husband and son, both engineers, are on board to put on the mole foam. I figure if two engineers can't do it right no one can :). So I am excited to not do the posts again, though I must say, she is the happiest puppy and doesn't act for one moment like she is bothered by them. I want them out ASAP!! It's harder to cuddle. She's a large female, already 60 lbs at only 5 months, and the vet says she will be the size of a smaller male probably landing around 80-85 lbs! She's looks like she's on stilts right now she's so tall - all legs. Gorgeous! Anyway, I can't wait to take these out tomorrow and put in the mole foam. With all my research, the deal is, if you want the ears to stand, you must do some support up to and if necessary beyond 6 months old. Until they stand. Apparently through teething is important. If you can see in the photo, they are up and looking amazing. That's her at 4 months. The right ear will flop, so we continue to post until it doesn't flop anymore. Regardless, it's a process. Oh, I have painted the mole foam black! I have black zip ties and black tape - if I need tape. That's going to be a better look while she's growing and her cartilage hardens. :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. wendyjoyce97

wendyjoyce97 Novitiate

GORGEOUS!!

17. Atingles10

Atingles10 Member

Thank you, and your girl is very pretty!!! Her ears look very similar to our guys so im sure that will help when it comes to using the molefoam! I honestly never even thought about making them blend in, but the set up isn't actually pleasing so it makes sense.

It's pretty easy to do so im sure your husband and son are completely capable :) I can't wait to see the final results and especially how she will look full grown. They do look kind of odd when they are younger and all legs as you mentioned. Our guy will be 9 months in a couple days and he has to be pushing 90lbs but he still has those long lanky legs :rofl: