1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Does anyone add Cranberry to their dogs feed?

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by jazzies mum, Jan 10, 2019.

1. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

I have begun feeding Jazz a dollop of plain yoghurt with apple cider vinegar once a day. She really isn't keen on the vinegar taste so the most I can add is a teaspoon.

I've read that Cranberry can have similar health benefits, so I bought some cranberry powder. It's 100 percent pure cranberry and rated safe for pets and I added just a quarter teaspoon for a test to see if she was allergic and she had no reaction. Next day I added a small level teaspoon and she loves the taste!

But.............I'm not sure if she is having a reaction or not. That night she seems to be hot, panting a bit and restless. Hard to explain as she wasn't showing signs of pain or distress exactly, but wasn't behaving normally. No vomiting, loose poops or rumbly tummy. I know this dog very well and she was "off" somehow. Then I gave it a couple of days and tried about half a level teaspoon, and she seemed to have that same strange reaction. Like something going on with her nervous system. A bit twitchy, hot and faster breathing, licking more. Maybe it is giving her some sort of anxiety reaction? Anyway, that is enough for me and back to the vinegar we go.

Has anyone else come across anything like it? Or had any experience with feeding cranberry?

By the way, Jazzies coat has become so sleek and lush since I started her on her yoghurt and vinegar. Don't know if it is just the yoghurt or if she is getting enough vinegar to make a difference.

2. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

I thought @Tropicalbri's mentioned cranberry supplements in a UTI thread. I personally have not fed them to my pups but I’ve seen them at the pet stores.

That is a rather odd reaction. Is there anything else in the supplement?

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 2
  3. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Have you checked the container to see if it has any artificial sweetener in it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I can’t offer any help with poor Jazz getting over heated, but I can say that Kaiser gets ACV everyday and he’s got a rich glossy coat. He gets pretty much no dairy other than the occasional cheese treats.

5. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

Yes, I made sure that the ingredients were 100 percent cranberry, with no added anything. I had done some research about it and there was some discussion about human grade cranberry products having additives that weren't good for our pets. They also nearly all mentioned being careful about allergic reactions which was why I was really watching carefully, (and also why I had to try a second dose, as I can be a bit over reactive myself to every small symptom). The thing is I would have expected scratching and rashes, or vomiting and loose poop, not the vague stuff that did happen.

Anyway, no harm done, and @Kaiser2016, thanks, that answers whether that small dose of ACV is of any benefit. I have never seen her coat so sleek. In the right light you can see sort of dapples. Not a different colour but a sort of texture thing that I have only ever seen in Arab or Thoroughbred horses who have very fine coats in summer. It has always indicated supreme wellbeing in a horse! :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
  6. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Haven't heard of cranberry causing any reactions in dogs. One thing I would checkout is how the cranberry powder you bought was processed? Was it processed without chemicals or additives?

A little searching it says not to give a dog dry cranberry. That they contain a lot of sugar and preservatives. Which can cause diarrhea and stomach upset.

We give Cranimals 2-3x's a month and have not had any issues.
    Natural Cranberry Pet Supplements for Dogs & Cats | Cranimals

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

ACV- 1 teaspoon a day?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  8. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

That's how much I give. Just mix it into their food.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Tropicalbri's

My two get a Tbsp everyday. Guess they are weird because they like it, along with hot sauce.:D

• Funny Funny x 5
  10. Tropicalbri's

I use cranimals that are designed for pets.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tropicalbri's

I also give my pups blueberries with their meals. It’s a great antioxidant and a source of omega 3 fatty acids.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  12. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Hot sauce?! Do tell!

13. Tropicalbri's

I put a scotch bonnet hot sauce on the foot of my bed where the pups decided to chew the wood. I thought it would stop the chewing. They loved it and proceeded to lick and chew it all off.:banghead:

• Wow x 5
  14. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

What were the poops like!

15. Tropicalbri's

Normal. They like spicy things, although I don’t give it to them. I have caught them counter surfing and stealing my jalapeños and other peppers.:green:

• Wow x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Tropicalbri's

They licked me on my cheek once after eating hot peppers and it burned for an hour. :eek:

• Funny Funny x 4
  17. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

That is great! They say spicy stuff is good for humans. Maybe I should try a sprinkle of cayenne on Kaiser's food.

18. Tropicalbri's

If you are going to do that, I would use a small sprinkle of red pepper flakes instead. The powdered cayenne may irritate their nasal passages if sniffed.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tropicalbri's

I have been really lucky in that their stools are always healthy, never soft except when Bogie got into that rotten bone on training exercises in the mangrove woods.

20. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Smart idea!