Dobie raptor

Ricojo789

Novitiate
Hi everyone
Looking for some advice from fellow dobie owners. My almost 5 month old boy is very smart, he learns things so fast. The one issue we are having trouble with is his excitement and rough play.
Whenever we want to relax on the couch or if we sit on the ground he comes running and biting breaking skin. I don’t think it is aggressive but just him getting excited and wanting to play. He has recently started doing it when I take him out back to pee.
We have been redirecting with toys when he gets like this but he ignores the toy, when this happens I tell him a firm no and walk away but he will follow and keep biting, so we then gently close his mouth and hold him until he relaxes( sometimes this works but most times he wants to get right back at it) if he doesn’t relax we give him a timeout on a gated area.

We walk him 2-3 times a day and do mental training and also play with his ball and flirt pole. He also does obedience classes.

I keep reading that this dobie shark stage goes away?? Any advice would be helpful, I don’t want him playing like this when he’s bigger.
Thank you

JanS

DCF Owner
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
He should be getting past his biting/nipping behavior soon but this sounds like he's starting to be a bratty teenager trying to test you. I would redirect with some obedience training and mental exercise. He needs to know you're in charge and at this point I think redirecting with toys is sort of rewarding his behavior.

Doberman Gang

Hot Topics Subscriber
We use dish towels or wash cloths, wet them and put them in the freezer. Your puppy is teething so this will help soothe their gums during this stage. Not sure how you are using the redirection method. I see many people just handing it shoving the redirection item at the puppy. That will never work properly. The redirection item, on our case a frozen rag, must be put into prey. Move the item away from the puppy as prey would trying to escape, Similar to using a flirt pole.
When your dog is playing and bites at you,
1) you must give a negative reinforcer first (no, phooey, bad ect…) be consistent and always use the same word.
2) the negative reinforcer must always be followed by some form of correction. ( grabbing the collar, pulling in a tab on the collar or grabbing the scruff of the neck ect.) I use a tab with leash pressure straight up while asking for a behavior to cap excitement.
3) you must ask for some form of behavior so that you can then reward your dog, either with food or the redirection toy moving it away for the puppy to chase.
4) again you must now use a positive reinforcer to tell the dog it was correct snd can now break and play. ( we use either yes or ok.)

Too many people want to talk and explain things to their puppies, or what I call humanizing the dog. Dogs do not think or learn things that way. By marking first then correcting or reward after your dog will learn much quicker. Being consistent will also teach the dog the rules quickly. Once you are finished with teething, if you teach this properly the biting will most likely stop and you will have something else to train😜

Ricojo789

Novitiate
He should be getting past his biting/nipping behavior soon but this sounds like he's starting to be a bratty teenager trying to test you. I would redirect with some obedience training and mental exercise. He needs to know you're in charge and at this point I think redirecting with toys is sort of rewarding his behavior.
Thank you
I will up mental and obedience and hope that helps more

Ricojo789

Novitiate
We use dish towels or wash cloths, wet them and put them in the freezer. Your puppy is teething so this will help soothe their gums during this stage. Not sure how you are using the redirection method. I see many people just handing it shoving the redirection item at the puppy. That will never work properly. The redirection item, on our case a frozen rag, must be put into prey. Move the item away from the puppy as prey would trying to escape, Similar to using a flirt pole.
When your dog is playing and bites at you,
1) you must give a negative reinforcer first (no, phooey, bad ect…) be consistent and always use the same word.
2) the negative reinforcer must always be followed by some form of correction. ( grabbing the collar, pulling in a tab on the collar or grabbing the scruff of the neck ect.) I use a tab with leash pressure straight up while asking for a behavior to cap excitement.
3) you must ask for some form of behavior so that you can then reward your dog, either with food or the redirection toy moving it away for the puppy to chase.
4) again you must now use a positive reinforcer to tell the dog it was correct snd can now break and play. ( we use either yes or ok.)

Too many people want to talk and explain things to their puppies, or what I call humanizing the dog. Dogs do not think or learn things that way. By marking first then correcting or reward after your dog will learn much quicker. Being consistent will also teach the dog the rules quickly. Once you are finished with teething, if you teach this properly the biting will most likely stop and you will have something else to train😜
Thank you for the info. That’s a great idea with the wash cloth!
When he starts biting I say a firm NO but he just keeps on coming lol. What is the tab on the collar your talking about ? Should I keep him on a leash at all times so I can correct him easier?

Doberman Gang

Hot Topics Subscriber
Thank you for the info. That’s a great idea with the wash cloth!
When he starts biting I say a firm NO but he just keeps on coming lol. What is the tab on the collar your talking about ? Should I keep him on a leash at all times so I can correct him easier?
You can do the leash thing but they tend to get caught on furniture. Tab is just a short 10”-12” leash that enabled you to grab it fir a correction. Like in this picture. 79098F01-23CD-4AA0-9CFA-7473CCA0ACCE.jpeg