Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Dobie names!

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by AssistanceDobie, Oct 25, 2019.

1. AssistanceDobie

AssistanceDobie New Member

I'm sure you've heard it all before, but the time is getting closer and closer to bringing a dobe home.
    Of course I've made a couple of name lists, but need help narrowing it down further! (other suggestions are also appreciated)

Male names: Female names:
    Dante Juno
    Onyx Hera
    Salem Vega
    Samhain Vespa
    Cain Kaja
    Osiris Mercedes
    Anubis
    Atlas

2. AssistanceDobie

well, the names didn't separate lol but the second word next to the names are the female names, if you didn't get that already

3. RexsMom

RexsMom Member

Ahh you must be so excited!
    One thing I had in mind when picking a name was if it had a good nickname to it.
    We had Dante & Cain in the running, but ruled Dante out because of the nickname. Cain because that’s my cousin’s name haha! We also liked Bane, but everyone thought we were saying Dane who didn’t get the Batman reference.
    So Cain for a male from me :)
    Love Kaja for a girl! Sounds very powerful, yet pretty.

4. AssistanceDobie

I am indeed very excited!
    Thank you for your input, I've noted it down!!

5. luckybeemer

luckybeemer Member

Exciting times. For me choosing a name was stressful. But honestly, I make everything stressful. Lol
    I'm assuming the breeder is allowing you to choose anything you desire? Some breeders require new owners to use a theme or certain letter and/or include their kennel name.
    I like Dante for a male and Juno for a female.
    That is if you aren't going to use any nicknames. They both line up with that 1-2 syllable recommendation thats helps with name recognition and recall.
    I have a niece that named her 1st dog Juno, then someone called her Tina once and that stuck. Sometimes she is called Juno and others its Tina....I must say both are very fitting for her.
    I have always loved Mercedes. Nickname "Sadie". But I am also a stickler for nicknames that stem from their proper name so....in that case I really love the nickname "Merce" (Mercy). That was on my list this year for my new girl, but dh nixed that along with several other awesome unique names. Haha

6. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Dante for male

Any of the female names you have listed are really good.

As far as nicknames go, mine has many to go around:

Asshat
    Monster
    Hero
    MyBuddy
    Einstein

Good luck and have fun with it.

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. AssistanceDobie

Yep, litter hasn’t be born yet but they’re assigned ‘s’ for puppy names. Once the new owners choose our puppy + name, the breeder starts using the chosen name instead!

As far as other nicknames go, ‘asshat’ is on my list too;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. luckybeemer

luckybeemer Member

@Ddski5 lol
    Asshat has become my new favorite nickname for a few people here in my home town.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

I had a Female named Vega! I love that name, strong but simple. I plan to recycle it someday...

Rubie's most commonly used name is "Dingo."

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. jim g

jim g New Member

For the first month I've had Savannah she thought her name was " what are you eating now?"
    also, Put that down! Give me that ! Get off of there! and Are you crazy?

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. Dr.Tinley

Dr.Tinley New Member

We have a yellow lab named Dante! I posted the pic in another thread I started. We train waterfowl dogs and we just put one of our own through it. We've thought about renaming him Arnold Labranegger.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

How exciting!

I like to stick with 2 syllable names for training purposes and you have some good ideas listed.