• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Dobermans specifically not the best candidate for raw food

KobeDobe

Novitiate
Hello!! We have a 10 week Doberman puppy! I have always had Shepherds and they ate raw. With this Doberman, the breeder is VERY against raw, specifically for Dobermans. Which I find very interesting and don’t buy it. She claims it’s their prone Liver issues. The breeder says if we MUST and INSIST, that we have to wait till he (Kobe) is at least 2 years old. She thinks it can also stop them from fully developing, size wise. I’m hoping someone can share some literature, research links for me on this topic so I can convince the breeder that raw is the way to go. The puppy is so stinky and his poo’s are always loose. I believe this would be solved with a complete raw diet. Thanks in advance!

I call BS. Especially if you buy pre-made which is (should be) perfectly balanced. The breeder of my dog fed all her dogs raw, worked them hard, and has gone to IGP3 with the dam of mine. She started her puppies on raw during weaning. Mine will turn 2 pretty soon and looks fabulous - I feed raw in the evening and Fresh Pet/soaked kibble in the morning. There are many raw feeders on this forum, I've never heard anything negative about it.

Well @KobeDobe I disagree with the breeder. Also there are lots of Vets who don't like Raw feeding.

We have been feeding a Raw diet for over 9yrs now. 2 of our Dobes we had were switched over at around 2-3 yrs old. The only reason we did this switch at that age is that we didn't know much about feeding Raw. So we started researching and reading books.
But our Female (Zara) which we imported as a puppy we started feeding Raw as soon as we got her home. She is now 5 1/2yrs old.
She had a litter of 5 2yrs ago and we kept a male Arson. We started the puppies on Raw at about 8weeks old. Out of the litter the there is only one other owner besides our boy Arson who continued to feed a Raw diet. Our good friends has the female and Arson is now 2yrs old.

Yes feeding a balanced diet is important. You can't just feed meat. Organs and Bone are very important.

Pre-Made like Primal, Steve's, Northwest Naturals, Answers Pet Food and some others are all balanced. I would probably start the pup out on a Pre-Made and do your research and reading. If your going to make your meals at home this is a good book by Dr. Karen Becker.

1627910553092.png

There are lots of Raw feeding sites on Facebook you can ask lots of questions. There are Raw feeders who have been feeding Raw for 20+ yrs.

One other thing that can change growth, possible orthopedic issues and Endocrine issue down the road is Early Spay/Neuter.

Attachments

• Raw-Meat-Based-Diets-for-Pets_WSAVA-Global-Nutrition-Toolkit.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
  • WSAVA-Global-Nutrition-Committee-Statement-on-Risks-of-Raw-Meat.pdf
    250 KB · Views: 5

Thank you SO much for adding these videos!! Hilarious, and informative....really appreciate it.

If you do your research then decide. Is Raw for every dog? Maybe yes maybe not? Is Processed Foods for your dog?

For me pets should not eat processed foods that are high in Carbs! Or should I say Starch. Because Starch=Carbs=Sugar

Hello!! We have a 10 week Doberman puppy! I have always had Shepherds and they ate raw. With this Doberman, the breeder is VERY against raw, specifically for Dobermans. Which I find very interesting and don’t buy it. She claims it’s their prone Liver issues. The breeder says if we MUST and INSIST, that we have to wait till he (Kobe) is at least 2 years old. She thinks it can also stop them from fully developing, size wise. I’m hoping someone can share some literature, research links for me on this topic so I can convince the breeder that raw is the way to go. The puppy is so stinky and his poo’s are always loose. I believe this would be solved with a complete raw diet. Thanks in advance!

Also this book is coming out in Oct. 2021 You can pre order it

1628262043200.png

Back