Doberman sleeping on ear

Jackiegarcia1

Hi :) so Prince my Doberman loves sleeping on his left side a lot I’ve noticed that’s his favorite side to sleep on lol. So he tends to sleep on his left ear & I’m worried that sooner or later the constant weight on his ear will make it flop. His ears are perfect& they stand I’m still posting them too, but I notice at times when he gets up in mornings when they aren’t posted that his left ear isn’t as strong as the right one but then goes back to normal. I just hate when he sleeps on his ears thinking it’ll cause it to flop in the future & whenever I see it I just adjust it! Do u guys have tips on how I handle this I know it’s not 100% preventable but what may help?

Another thing I’ve noticed with him is that sometimes if he’s chilling he’ll just lift one ear up (right ear) when he hears something he doesn’t care much about. But then when hes actually focused on me and playing or is guarding etc he lifts both. Is that normal for him to just lift one up when he’s just relaxed? this only happens at home, when he’s out he always has both up so I’m guessing it’s just when he’s at home and relaxed or does that Just mean more posting. Any tips are appreciated to both questions thank you :)

Attachments

• A06BDF45-9EA5-4CFB-94AA-BC33A248480B.jpeg
    A06BDF45-9EA5-4CFB-94AA-BC33A248480B.jpeg
    357.6 KB · Views: 7

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
How old is he? Sometimes if they are borderline "finished" posting, you can still post overnight to prevent this. Sounds like they may not be set yet, and photo appears to be a long crop, and that can take much longer to finish out posting. I'd suggest keeping on posting, at least at night, depending on his age and how long he's been out of posts. Others will chime in soon I think.

Firestar Dobe

Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
I would continue to post 24/7. After all the work of posting, I would not take the chance of leaving them unposted at night! Long crops may need to be posted as long as 12 to 18 months. It may seem a long time but the effort is worth it in the long run!

Ddski5

Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
How old is he?

If his ears are not set and hardened then unposting them for any time longer than an hour is gambling. One hour to clean and air out, then back up in post.

It is not worth it- to have a broken creased ear, which is permanent and the ear will not be able to stand.

but I notice at times when he gets up in mornings when they aren’t posted that his left ear isn’t as strong
This should not be happening. ^^^^

Really sounds like his left ear is not ready yet and you letting it be challenged is not a good idea tbh- especially if he is sleeping on it bent.

Don’t mean to sound disrespectful back there but it’s just not worth it. Do the time and the work until the ears harden up.

Jackiegarcia1

I would continue to post 24/7. After all the work of posting, I would not take the chance of leaving them unposted at night! Long crops may need to be posted as long as 12 to 18 months. It may seem a long time but the effort is worth it in the long run
Thank you OK I wasn’t totally sure whens the best time to stop posting but I’ll definitely go to 18 months!!

Jackiegarcia1

How old is he?

If his ears are not set and hardened then unposting them for any time longer than an hour is gambling. One hour to clean and air out, then back up in post.

It is not worth it- to have a broken creased ear, which is permanent and the ear will not be able to stand.

This should not be happening. ^^^^

Really sounds like his left ear is not ready yet and you letting it be challenged is not a good idea tbh- especially if he is sleeping on it bent.

Don’t mean to sound disrespectful back there but it’s just not worth it. Do the time and the work until the ears harden up.
Hi thank you for your feedback he just turned 12 months, and I saw another reply to stop posting until around 18 months so I think I’m going to go with that!! Because ur right it’s really not worth risking a floppy ear!! Because I do feel like that ear isn’t completely as hardened as the right one, so u think sticking to posting until 18 months will help?

JanS

DCF Owner
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
If he has the habit of sleeping on the one ear I'd keep posting until you're sure the cartilage is fully formed.

I wish they wouldn't do that but they have to be comfortable and that's another reason I shudder when vets recommend leaving them out for a couple days before reposting. A LOT of damage can be done in that amount of time.

Jackiegarcia1

If he has the habit of sleeping on the one ear I'd keep posting until you're sure the cartilage is fully formed.

I wish they wouldn't do that but they have to be comfortable and that's another reason I shudder when vets recommend leaving them out for a couple days before reposting. A LOT of damage can be done in that amount of time.
Yes I agree!! thanks for feedback I will continue posting till 18months or so then !!