Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Doberman shedding

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Rocky6527, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Rocky6527

Rocky6527 New Member

Hey I have a 7 month old dobe and he is shedding like crazy.
    I bath him after a month and a half of difference and his coat is shiny.
    But wherever he goes he leaves a bunch of hair around on the ground so all day I am just cleaning the his fur on the floor.
    I brush him daily and he is on good food.
    Would you guys have any solution for this?
    Thank you

2. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Some simply shed more than others. Brushing daily should help but I see you are doing that already. Do you use a thick rubber grooming tool? These tend to massage the skin at the same time.
    Fish oil may help with the shedding.
    An underlying medical condition can cause excess shedding. These include stress, immune disorders, hormonal imbalances, fungal infections, parasites and a poor diet. May I ask what you feed him? Is it a good quality kibble? 4-5 star?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rocky6527

Rocky6527 New Member

I feed him iams large-breed puppies

4. Rocky6527

Rocky6527 New Member

This is what I use to brush

Attached Files:

5. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

He's probably blowing his puppy coat and getting ready for the adult coat to come in.
    You could definitely do a lot better than that and Iams does have junk fillers that could make them shed more than usual.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Rocky6527

Rocky6527 New Member

I tried the more expensive brands like blue buffalo,and wilderness but his stools were always very loose and a lot more white stuff coming out of his eyes than normal

7. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Rocky6527

Rocky6527 New Member

How long does it take to blow off the puppy coat and after the puppy coat will the shedding decrease

9. Rocky6527

Rocky6527 New Member

I have tried nutrience and nulo but he did not like any of them either. I don’t even know? He does not like the good expensive brands but loves the ok ones

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Yes, he may very well be blowing his puppy coat. It can normally happen anywhere up to the 10 month mark. After that he will most likely shed seasonally, usually twice a year at the major change of seasons.
    Bathing him too frequently, with the wrong products and not rinsing him throughly can also cause coat problems but mostly dry, flaky skin.

Iams is junk. Life stage feeding (puppy-adolescent-adult-senior) is nothing but clever marketing. Find yourself a good quality ALL life stages food.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Dobermans usually love finer foods lol. Does he reject eating completely?

12. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Do you remember if that brush was made for short coats? That particular type has been know to actually cut hair, that may be why you are seeing hair everywhere, you're cutting it off. :wideyed:
    I personally prefer a zoom groom, works wonders.
    zoom groom.jpg

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Omg :spit: It’s the tool!

14. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Yes, that looks like a stripping tool. You need something that gets down to the skin that stimulates the skin and hair follicles and helps spread the natural oils.

I've never had a problem with IAMS for a puppy under 6 mo then changed them to Canidae All Life Stages.

15. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

What’s your weather been like?
    My Rocky is shedding pretty good right now too.
    We just started getting some heat, been a fairly mild spring/ summer.
    He’s dropping that winter coat here.

16. Rocky6527

Rocky6527 New Member

He’s been shedding for a long time now and the weather is warming up

17. Rocky6527

Rocky6527 New Member

Yeah they said it was made for short coats

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

But probably still dogs with undercoats? Dobes don't have much of an undercoat and that brush (I just bought a similar one for my Lab) will irritate skin if used too frequently and especially with no undercoat to protect it. We use a rubber Zoom Groom as well for our Dobe and it does a great job of removing loose hair and won't irritate the skin like the metal brush.