1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Doberman Rescue

Discussion in 'Rescue & Adoption' started by Ddski5, Aug 8, 2019.

1. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

It doesn't surprise me in the least. As I said earlier in this thread, rescues can be very difficult to work with.
    I understand there has to be rules and guidelines but commonsense has to be applied also.
    It was a sad day when the word rescue became another word for big business.

A 'friend' (I use that term loosely here) of mine approached me recently about making some things for an auction to raise money for dogs in need. When I questioned exactly where the money was going, she became livid and calling me all kinds of names like that would motivate me. I simply explained that I don't support animal rights, but choose to support animal welfare. That's when the name calling went to a new level. I just said there is a difference, look it up, never hurts to educate yourself.
    The AR train has tons of money behind it by playing on people's sympathy. Making hero's out of people that adopt with their 'adopt don't shop" campaign. Therefore making villains out of people that choose to go to a breeder. I don't see how supporting a responsible breeder is a bad thing. Raising your chances of a healthy dog, and getting support through the hard times as well as having someone that will take the pup back should a situation arise is a bad thing?

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Wow x 1
  2. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Wow! Big Red Flag there! :thumbdown:

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

OFF TOPIC RANT: that "adopt, don't shop" slogan that rescues and celebrities like to throw around really rubs me the wrong way.

Whether you opt for a reputable breeder, a backyard greeder, a shelter, or legit rescue, you are still SHOPPING.

If you buy a brand new car off the dealer lot or a used car from craigslist, you are still SHOPPING.

You are giving money to someone for a product you deem worthy of that money = Shopping. :mad:

Rant over. @GennyB that's too bad that she went off like that. Giving rescues a good name, that one :thumbsup2:

• Agree Agree x 9
  4. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

She's been sending me youtube videos all day. I guess they are of a show on Animal Planet called Animal Cops. Filled with horrible stories and depicting breeders as these terrible people that just breed dogs till they drop. I watched part of one............that was all I could take. I emailed her and told her to stop and her response was "See what you are supporting"

• Wow x 5
  5. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

For her information, the breeder I support had Rubie's mom spayed after a recent problematic labor so that she wouldn't have to go through it again and can live a full and happy life :scratch:

• Like Like x 3
  6. BamMoMoMommy

BamMoMoMommy $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

Some much good information in this thread....also a thread that can send one's BP off the charts. Both our daughters work with rescues...and they both have times where they want to clobber 90% of the people involved in the groups. From them..I gather one reason the groups have become so difficult to work with---like getting a high priority clearance back ground check along with a colonoscopy" is the "Michael Vick" syndrome.

There does seem to be some drastic overreaction when trying to work with the groups.

Urban myth isn't helping that mentality. Shortly after we got Mo...a neighbor warned us about not leaving him out alone cuz "people are stealing dogs like that to use to train fighters." Every time a pet came up missing in our neighborhood..everyone was sure it was stolen to be used as a "trainer for fighters". Not saying it doesn't happen...but if it happened with the frequency that my neighbors thought it was happening.....the ones doing the stealing wouldn't have been able to go undetected. One neighbor told me a huge elaborate story about a a dog fighting ring she heard about and how many dogs they had stolen...about half way thru the telling..I realized it was a story line...from a Greg Isle's book.

Anyways.....

We have never "set out" to have a doberman, all of ours have come to us thru word of mouth.

Out of the seven...only two came to us from reputable breeders with breeding background information. Four of them came to us when the owners figured out they were in over their heads with the breed. Three came to us in the throes of "doberteens". These are the ones we call rescues. I refer to them as rescues....but they are more "re homed to avoid being dropped of at the pound".

Our initial costs with these five were always over the top.

We always made a beeline to the vet for a checkup, addressed immediate issues and then follow up with testing that should be done by the breederalong with addressing health issues from improper diet, care, etc. once we got them. One came to us with an ear crop mess.....broke me of ever wanting to deal with crops again.

I don't think a single person we got the pups from were bad people or bad owners. The fault in the theme here...was ignorance. They didn't know what they were getting into when they got the pup....all the pups were BYB pups.....so there wasn't any kind of screening from the person they got the pup from. ...the "breeder" handed pups over to anyone with the cash. They didn't anticipate how costly this breed can become..and how fast it can stack up.

Considering the time frame all this took place....(late 70's into the 80's) I think every person we got the guys from had been fans of the old school Magnum PI.....saw Apollo and Zeus (or the old Doberman Gang movies.) They had no clue how much work it would take to get dogs TO THAT POINT.
    (I wonder now...if there's been a rush on people trying to get dober pups...thanks to the rehash mess of the new version Magnum PI)

Cripes.....I had no clue what I was getting into way back in 79 when I agreed to let my husband bring home our first "owner got him didn't know what to do when pup didn't turn out to be a easy to deal with on demand.....copy of Apollo or Zeus" rescue-re-home-dobie-lahluhpahloozuh.

They each came with their own quirks and issues that needed to be addressed as far as behavior.

Mo and Bam....both sides of the coin...Mo came to us from the breeder after going back to the breeder. Bam was a swoop in and get him the hell out of the nightmare he was in....then figure out what to do.

Mo came from a solid breeder.....and it was evident from day one of having him with us both attitude and health wise.He was crate trained, traveled well, wasn't snugly, cuddly but liked to sit close with us....he didn't get cuddly til Bam came into the picture....LOL...and there were some personality changes in Mo once Bam got home....not bad reactive to new dog in home situation.....but a lot of "monkey see-monkey do" behavior.

We have beyond blessed that to this point...we haven't had any issues that can come with a more than one dog home. We attribute this more to Mo's easy going nature then we do our way of handling them. Mo accepted Bam into the fold right away.

Bam:pullhair::pullhair::pullhair:..has by far.... been the most challenging, the quickest study and shortest attention span....but we also think Bam came to us out the worst situation/enviroment we have ever "taken in".

There's still residual issues we are dealing with...even after the threeish years he's been with us.

If he was inside with the previous owner..he was shut in his crate. It took a while for him to get used to the idea the crate was his..and he could come and go as he pleased, the door only got closed at night or if we were leaving the house.

We have had to become more "vet-med" layperson educated with him..then we have any of our others.

He came to us under weight and with his snout and chin in bad shape...from being left to dig in fire ant nests.

He has arthritis in his lower spine and his shoulders......we discovered this after we'd had him about eight months. We have invested a considerable amount of funds with this issue alone.We know this will be progressive and we go one day at a time with him.....working to find the best ways to help him stay healthy and feeling well.

Not sure how his dock was done.....guessing banded...it was a mess...and is still tender if bumped wrong.

He was terrified of my husband...no aggression...he just high tailed it to his crate every time DH walked into the room.....took about seven weeks of building trust before he would even let my husband touch him. He will still shy and scoot...if my husband raises his voice for any reason.

His first NCAA football season with us...was a trip......we are passionate, loud and rowdy fans.
    We had to learn to tone it down for his sake....he's better tho...LOL..he got used to Ma screaming at the TV and slamming remotes.:facepalm: Bam's name started out as Bama Bryant....it was shortened to BAM-BAM! cuz he was such a puppy klutz....like a pinball in a pinball machine he was always letting his warp speed get the better of him and "bamming" into things.

He will not go outside by himself...if he can't see one of us at the door or Mo isn't out with him, he wants back in...like RIGHT NOW!!!!! If he is outside alone and the front door gets closed...he will come to the door and cry like someone is abusing him.... until it is opened.

He was left outside alone for hours on end before he came to us. I don't think we will ever be able help him work thru this...so we work with him. Even with the issues we are having right now....we are still amazed he has the bouncy, silly, crazy clown style personality he has. He should be a case study for "why/how dogs go bad".

Inherited issues from past owners..UGH.....according to both daughters...one of the biggest reason dogs they work with..get re-homed-re-homed....or worse.

@Ddski5 ......it's good to see you being so logical and thoughtful about the process of bring home another dobe family member. No matter which way you go to get one home...at least there is assurance in you know what you are doing......you know what you are getting into....good luck finding the right match for all of you!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

@BamMoMoMommy

Good read and thanks.

Frustrating still....on Facebook, my oldest saw where that local Doberman rescue said they were full.

Not actively looking right now, but am kinda waiting for one of the instances you stated. Someone come to me because they know I have a Doberman and they can’t handle theirs....Folks just don’t understand that these beast are not always Lassie, they need command and control.

Funny this come up again, Ragnar and I went to the fields this morn. He LOVES to run wide open, he just does not stop...I was wondering how much faster and harder he would run if he had another next to him.

The thought is still there but not active.

• Like Like x 3
  8. BamMoMoMommy

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...oh did I just laugh out loud??? *giggles* I started this post a bit ago....and finished it about the time your post popped up here....you'll see why I laughed when you get to the end of it;)

I walked away from this thinking about the "adopt don't shop" discussions that is here. As a proponent of this campaign ( our whole family is) I want to add another perspective to the discussion.

While I agree with what has been said to this point...that anytime you get a pet...there's likely going to be a cash exchange ---AND---- agree that the whole campaign become a "We are better than you!" martyr attitude by the ones who get over (insanely) zealous in the support of the campaign ........we aren't ALL like that;)

Every one I know who supports adopt don't shop....are concerned about animal welfare, addressing the amount of re-homes and abandons that happen and trying eradicate kill shelters..for good.

We don't see breeders as evil or greedy. We all greatly appreciate how much work goes into being a high standard breeder...how much they invest in keeping the breed overall in the best genetic shape as possible, we applaud the people who go to reputable breeders to make a purchase.

We wish everyone who wanted a "pure bred" of any dog (or cat) WOULD GO STRAIGHT TO a reputable breeder.

Maybe people doing this..... would put a dent in the lessor scenarios of how the animals come to the market.

But considering the screening process breeders have for buyers... ( THANK goodness) and the cost of one animal ( most people have NO CLUE how much it costs to bring one animal into the world, much less a whole litter.....people need to be educated on how little profit there is in breeding pure breeds....PROPERLY.) people opt for other routes to get a "pure bred" and these are the ones who rankle the ones in my circle who support adopt don't shop.

We do everything we can to slow down someone who is about to pay " a lot of money..like $500.00"...to get a "pure bred" pup.

NO...I don't think 500 bucks is chump change.......but in this scheme...500 bucks screams...not a good thing. Just from outside observation....seems like there's no way a breeder could put a pup out there for 500 bucks..if the pup was bred/handled with the proper standers from conception to market.

It's my understand Mo's original owners paid $2500.00 for him...and he was the low end of the prices for the litter....he wasn't "show quality" cuz the poor dude has more zippers than a Micheal Jackson jacket...but he comes from amazing stock.

We support adopt don't shop.....not because we thinking shopping is wrong. We support the idea of adopt over shop..for people who are trying to get high end..for a few bucks.

We hope that the idea will some way, some day..... put a halt to the ilk that we got Bam from...they breed for females only.....the males are "throw away" to them....since they are looking to breed...... turn out pups.....and turn a profit...and oh how I would love to see something...that would make it impossible for it to be profitable....for this kind.

And those celebrities that tout adopt don't shop....are virtue signaling with a whole lot of..... do as I say..not as I do.

I personally wish they would STFU.

I find when I see them with an animal....it's a high $$ something...... that is an accessory.

And they hold it..... while the step off their Lear jet or Gas guzzling Escalade..........lecturing me about my carbon foot print...and how much TP I should us at my house (Cheryl whatsherface..One square---per squat...REALLY???) and why I should be ashamed of my cowgirl...beef eating..... roots

....and and and.....
    (And I got nothing against gas guzzlers...I have a lead foot and a Jeep Overland with Hemi......as my daily driver.)

Okay....before my head explodes and I need to surrender my membership to the site....

*Soap box away*

Adopt or shop...either way...waiting with bated breathe to see how long @Ddski5 can hold out...getting a new four legged family member....cuz well..a wife and three daughters working to get one there...the poor man doesn't stand a chance;)

(Edit to add....my head feeling like it was going to explode had nothing to do with the other side of the adopt, don't shop topic. I understand and respect the opinions about the subject, the head exploding was all about the celebrities..and well...that explosion feeling is starting to happen...so...just needed to make that clear.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. BamMoMoMommy

Just a thought when you get to the point you know you are ready for another four legged toddler:

My husband reminded me this morning about a co worker who lives in the NOLA area...that had some sort of falling out with the Gulf Coast rescue when looking to adopt furkid. They lost their last dobe to wobblers and I guess the falling out came over the fact someone in the group didn't feel like they'd done as much as they could for the dog before they made the choice none of us ever want to make. (The dog they lost, came from the G.C. rescue)

I don't know the exact details......it is my take away from conversations I had with my husband and a few things they said.... when they were looking to adopt. They ended up going to the Arkansas Dobe Rescue, got a wonderful, gorgeous black and tan three year old female.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  10. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Yup. SMH.

The idiot I dealt with is from Gulf Coast Rescue also.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 2
  11. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Wow. That is not the rescues job to pass judgement like that on a dog they adopted out years ago! Everyone has their personal limits. If the dogs are well taken care of for their life who are you to judge when they face a difficult decision like that. It's almost like rescues don't want anyone to be happy so they wallow in their unhappiness and make everyone else miserable. I know not all rescues are like this but the mob mentality some of them have is astounding. Just because its not the decision you would make, doesn't mean it wasn't the right decision for that family.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. BamMoMoMommy

That was my feeling....and from what my husband said at the time...they were doing back flips to get help for the dog.

They'd just gotten to a point they weren't coming apart ( almost a year later) over the loss and ready to get back invested again....and then....this.

Rescue groups are like anything organized that has some sort of C.O.C....there's always people in the group.....who need to be able to exert some kind of (petty, childish) control over others to feel better about who they are or they take their own bitterness/bias out on others...if they get a chance to "be in charge".

One of the ugliest things I ever had said to me...came from someone who had a lead role in a rescue group. She more or less told me I should have put down the dogs I took in....by offering to help with a bad situation..... I was just giving a free pass to bad breeders/breeding. Needless to say...............words were exchanged.

No..it isn't how all rescues work..in fact it has been my experience over the years....most folks involved are doing their best to get homes for the dogs they need to place and they are pragmatic about the process. They don't want to be in the business of warehousing animals who need better.

How this group has reacted to Ddski5...is outrageous and maddening.

I hope what he is dealing with..and what the co worker went thru isn't the norm. Hopefully it is more a case of "negative stuff makes head lines, while positive stuff tends to just lay low."

• Like Like x 3
  13. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

This whole conversation reminds me of a quote from my ex. He was a high end farrier (horse shoer) - very much in demand, did the very best work and had no empty spots in his schedule. If he started to shoe a new horse or young horse that got unruly, he would stop and tell the owners to work with the horse until it could stand reasonably still for shoeing, then he'd leave. So many of them thought it was the farriers job to "train" the horse. Nope, he says, I'm a farrier, not a trainer. One the other hand, there were dozens of farriers who bragged about shoeing bad horses that no one else would take. Their prices were cheap and they were always getting hurt and the horse usually learned by brut force rather than good training. The quote I'm referring to? "If no one would shoe bad horses, there would be no bad horses to shoe". How does this relate to rescue dogs? If everyone purchased from a reputable breeder, there would be no dogs in need of a rescue. The first indication of a reputable responsible breeder is that they will take their puppy back ANY time at ANY age for ANY reason. It's on their back to re-home, it will never ever go to a shelter according to the contract.

I have nothing against rescue groups or people wanting to take in a dog that needs a home. But I've heard from more people with stories like @Ddski5 has told, that "you aren't good enough", and yet the kennels are full. OK, off my soapbox!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  14. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

With my two the competition is fierce running wide open and pool swimming as well.

It’s a beautiful sight to watch two in perfect unison running and jumping hurdles. It fills you with excitement, awe and pride. Always gives me goosebumps especially when you see strangers stop and watch with their mouths gaping open. Lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1