1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Doberman Rescue

Discussion in 'Rescue & Adoption' started by Ddski5, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

There are so many things to consider when getting a rescue. First I understand how your family feels. They think if they Rescue a red female they can correct and erase everything bad that has happened to the dobe. They will jump past the time consuming and patience draining experience of raising a pup. You have to know the back story and history of the rescue dog. There could be many things that occurred that could be triggers for them. How well do they do in an active, loud household with cats or other animals and teen children. Is there food or toy aggression/resource guarding. You don’t want to have a situation where it causes Ragnar to become reactive to her or other behavioral issues that could set Ragnar back in his training. At 2yrs Ragnar is still a pup mentally and emotionally because the males do mature a lot slower than females.
    I think they need to watch training videos and read about training or retraining a dog that comes from less than ideal conditions. Will the new dog get along with the cats? Will the two dobes tag team the cats. How are they around strangers and other kids.
    Will the girls and your wife put in the time required to have another dog and care for all its needs and training? That’s the big question. My hubs was totally on board with me getting two pups and promises of helping with everything concerning them. It all fell on me when they started their chewing of everything, biting, jumping etc. it wasn’t what he thought it would be so it was all passed to me to handle. Trust me when I say it was very time consuming and frustrating.
    I guess what I am trying to convey is they really have to step up and be totally responsible for the new dog’s care and training, exercise, play, feeding, vet visits, baths, public walking. EVERYTHING involving the new dog needs to be their responsibility, right down to purchasing their leashes, collars, vests, harnesses, trimming nails all the way to dingleberry plucking when needed.:D
    I would not want to be in your position right now. It’s hard knowing if you are truly ready to take on another Dobie.

I know people that have gotten a Dobe Rescue and they dealt with many issues, some that could not be helped. It’s very rewarding to be able to give one the home they deserve but again the question is, are you and your family really ready to add another Dobie to the family dynamics?

Good luck to you. I hope it works out how you want.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  2. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I think they believe by having an older Doberman, that it will not be as challenging. But the questions they are not asking are, what about the quirks and baggage coming along, compatibility and level of training required?? Let alone she will still need to be trained daily.

They say they will handle the training and responsibilities. They all have really good intentions but I don’t think they quite realize it’s prob more difficult than it appears- to do it the right way and at same time as Bri said, not regress Ragnar.

Good intentions yes, but I still don’t believe we are ready.

A good subject to entertain though.

• Like Like x 4
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I went through a very short phase of wanting a second Doberman and my hb cured me of it by leaving Kaiser in my care for everything :help:of course he was still around so I didn’t really take on the full load, but it was eye opening to say the least :spit:So maybe a day of managing Ragnar will help them see the light :pokeeyes:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tropicalbri's

If @Ddski5 is anything like me I would not trust anyone including my hubs to take total care and exercising/ training of my dobes without me right there to make sure it’s done properly. It’s that damn control issues I have, but as much blood, sweat and tears that I have put in to their training, health and well-being, it’s hard to trust that someone else will do it correctly. No one wants to be directed on everything or nagged and I recognize that in myself because I have always held jobs that required me to be in direct supervision of others and I can be a real PITA at times. Lol
    My hubs knows this and avoids any situation that might put him in my line of fire. :D
    I feel guilty about it at times but I don’t think I could change how I was raised, even with intense therapy. :spit:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ddski5

You know I think you hit it right on Bri.

Could they do it? Maybe....

But, as much as I love my girls/wife, it would drive me nuts not being in control of the discipline and training of a new Doberman. I just don’t have the time to fully commit to do it right and if I can’t do it right....then it’s not gonna happen.

They don’t wake up at 0600 to take Ragnar training in the fields, they don’t take the initiative to walk beside me to see the do’s and dont’s when having him out in public. They enjoy the obedient foundation that Ragnar and I have worked so hard to achieve.

If they did and I felt confident of their of their abilities handling Ragnar then I may have a change of thought on a ‘rescue’ that may need a significant amount of discipline and training.

Once Kelsie (a senior) gets out of school and I get an idea of what Tristen will be doing on this new national team then I may feel comfortable in taking on a new family member. Because that’s the way I see it- not just a dog but a new family member.

Them asshats will prob do it anyway and I will have to figure it out. All four of them are in cohoots together. Strong willed females for sure, all of them. I think the somewhat rejection from the Rescue place has put them on hold for now. I will NOT tell them that Ragnar’s breeder contacted me two weeks ago telling me she has another litter in the mix. I think she is impressed with how I turned out with Ragnar.

Gotta love them though, they have good intentions.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

Thinking out of the square here. If your girls are set on rescuing a dog because they would like a dog who bonded with them, does it need to be a Doberman or would another, easier breed do the trick? Something active and intelligent but more compliant by nature?

• Like Like x 4
  7. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Im glad you are giving this so much thought. When you do decide to add another dog into the family, I think it would be a very good idea to agree to it under the condition that they each attend obedience classes with the new dog. To me, it'd only be fair that the entire family start stepping in when it comes to the training, especially since you will be a busy household with two active thinking dogs.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I’ve never added a rescue to a resident dog but there’s so much to consider. Financial costs would be another consideration. Insurance, food, vet costs etc....have they thought about those? Would they be prepared to take on a Saturday/Sunday shift to help cover costs?
    What about when they want to hook up with mates for an evening, or heavens forbid....date night with the boyfriend :rolleyes: but they’ve been at school all day and the dogs climbing the walls with pent-up energy? Are they willing to get up an hour extra in the morning before school for walks and training? Could they sacrifice the things they love and enjoy to take care of the dog and to meet the dogs needs? In other words would they be willing to compromise?
    To be fair your girls sound pretty grounded. I’m sure they would all pull their weight with the huge responsibility of dog ownership.

It’s not always a good idea to jump in feet first, maybe now’s not the right time. I truly believe EVERYONE needs to be onboard with such a huge commitment as adding another dog to the household.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Viemarangelrock

Here’s an idea, what about fostering a dog? That would give your girls a good taste of the responsibility without the long-term commitment. It may turn into a failed foster and end up being an adoption, you never know! ;)

Just an idea :)

Ragnar is your priority. He’s the resident dog. The rescue dog would need to be accepted by him.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Oh boy. My eyes popped out of my head at that line! LOL If they only knew.:whistle: You would be a big trouble lol

I've never had two large dogs at one time. It's either been one dog at a time or the combo that I have now. A big one and a small one. I just never felt the need for more than one. And at my age now I don't know if I can even handle it. Not with everything I have to do around here now. If I didn't have horses? Eh, I might consider it. But again, I keep getting older.:spit: By the time I don't have horses, I'll be too old for anything. ;)

The one thing I always consider when thinking of another animal is how it will affect what I have at home. It could change all the Dynamics. Will it change everything I've worked so hard for? Will there be jealousy between the dogs that suddenly changes my life? Will it add that one more element that I just can't keep up with? I think my biggest concern would be that it would change and disrupt the continuity of everything that I've worked so hard to attain. It's a big decision and I believe one that should be made by all of you.:goodluck:

• Like Like x 1
  11. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

All three of these can be questionable. Dogs will attach themselves mainly to the person that does the most with them. The one that takes care of them the most. The one that give them Direction the most. Who is that going to be in your family?

No one can guarantee a snuggler. Some dogs love it. Others are more aloof. Velcro and snuggler are two different things. Buddy is velcro to a tee. Always right by me. Always. If I get up right now, he will be following me. Of course he's laying down on his bed right next to my chair right now. : .

But he's never really been what I would consider a snuggler. In fact, he's always had somewhat of a fear of being trapped. He loves to be petted and hugged lightly. But not held in place. It's like he has claustrophobia! LOL

• Like Like x 1
  12. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

@Viemarangelrock has a good point; two dogs don't cost twice as much, they cost like 3 times as much as one, for some reason!

When Moo was a puppy puppy and eating a ton, I actually had to up Rubie's food because she was all of a sudden a lot more active. At least twice the insurance, vet, boarding, and training costs. Triple the food cost (although we've seemed to even out, now), extra toys out the wazoo. A whole new set of collars and leases and bowls.

@jazzies mum makes a good point, too... although not ALL Dobes will be as much work as Ragnar, there are definitely 'easier' breeds out there. Moo is a perfect example. I was not keen on getting a lab because I've never really met one I liked. Becaaaaause when people typically get labs, their goal is to have a dog that requires as little work as possible but still be a good family dog.

Moo has been raised with the same expectations as Rubie, so raised *LIKE* a Doberman, but he's.so.easy. He's trusting, listens, doesn't destroy anything, gives up toys/food/etc. to Rubie (submissive), loves being around other dogs, takes to training in no time, and just wants to please. I will say he does not snuggle (he seems to run hot) but definitely easier.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Ddski5

EB6F9A57-4123-439A-9624-9448F9BCF1B3.png

That’s it.... man o man, they must have a line of folks waiting to adopt their acquired Dobermans???

No further follow up, no inquiries, no recommendations or suggestive modifications for me to meet their requirements??

So, I take it that they do not agree with me titering Ragnar instead of shooting him up with unneeded and toxic vaccines??

They did not bother to call the other Vet clinic in which I bought the Advantage Multi HW meds??

No talking to me about our current situation with Ragnar and how much we are actively involved in his care and training 24/7 and yes it is 24/7??

No interest on how much knowledge and info I have learned in the last two years concerning the Doberman breed??

No interest on how much my family and Ragnar can have a positive effect on a Doberman in need??

I know I have been on here recently talking about how I felt about how ‘now’ is not a good time for a Doberman, about how I felt like my girls were not fully thinking on this. But shit....let’s say that I felt we were ready, I would still be scrutinized and judged under the same microscope.

It really makes me upset and angry to just even think there is a Doberman in need of a home and these are the folks judging and decided where they are going.

Shame.
    Shame
    Shame.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 5
    • Wow x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Viemarangelrock

What a shit show. I’m absolutely furious, and it’s not even me they are replying to.
    And this....

‘Your method of maintaining your dog is not compatible with our requirements” Shame on them! That’s so uncalled for.

I’m gonna go get a large drink and settle down, I’m incensed! :mad:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

Very frustrating indeed! :furious:

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Wow that’s one hell of a response! They disregard everything else you bring to the table over vaccinations? I doubt they are actually familiar with titer testing. They clearly don’t want to hear any of it. A private deal may be the only way forward. Either finding one that needs to be rehomed from someone advertising it or asking local area breeders if they have any Dobermans returned to them to let you know.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

This person truly doesn't understand titer testing based on this response. There is no need to vaccinate again if there are enough antibodies. I would disregard this rescue. The attitude that comes across in the email makes me sad for the Dobermans looking for homes through them. I'm sure there are other rescues that are much more understanding.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Tropicalbri's

Most Vets don’t offer titer testing unless you are adamant and push for it. They prefer to vaccinate and send you on your way.
    These rescues hire people that are not knowledgeable on the medical science involved with going the safe route. They hire people that will parrot their regulations regarding adoption. If you fail to do things exactly like they have been trained to think, they deep six you. It’s sad that they are not educated on the potential harm vaccines can cause later in life with this breed and other breeds. They seem to be oblivious to the health issues of Dobermanns and are resistant to change their protocol. I fear I would compose a lengthy letter along with reference material to cross check.
    Ending the letter with; “If you truly care about this breed, you will educate yourself on proven, healthy alternatives to the standard protocols that have harmful effects on this breed.”

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 2
  19. Ddski5

I would post my return email but I don’t want y’all to think less of me for it’s contents. I was pretty heated and straight forward with my thoughts.

Really should have cooked this person the smart way but I did not. I’ll admit I got mad.

Karma....and things happen for a reason.

Moving on.

• Like Like x 6
  20. Tropicalbri's

We will all probably agree totally with you!!

• Agree Agree x 5