Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Doberman or Beaver?

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Kimberlyst, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Kimberlyst

Kimberlyst New Member

My puppy LOVES wood.... any type!! I am constantly taking sticks away from her- I play ball with her every night so it’s not a fetch thing. She probably has more toys than I had as a kid! She has chewed furniture, window sills, doors, outside railings. She even pulled up part of a plank from a wood ramp!! I can literally open a drawer to get something out and she is chewing the edge before I can close it. I’ve never seen anything like it. I have yelled NO, smacked her with a rolled up newspaper, sprayed with bitter apple, cherry, anything and everything and it doesn’t faze her. She has never offered to get in the trash at all. What is this obsession with wood? Could she be lacking something in her diet? She eats Science Diet Large Breed Puppy... dry. I think it is chicken and oats. She is obsessed with wood. Anyone else have this? P.S I apologize if I am not posting correctly. I am still trying to learn how to navigate this site!

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Maybe it’s a phase, maybe it’s not...
    C2FBC840-C16C-49D1-B7D5-7280C7498874.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Wow x 1
  3. jim g

jim g New Member

Mine loves tree branches, I think they have just the right amount of crush when they bite it.
    Does she have all her adult teeth?
    My girl is not quite 5 months yet and have lost very few milk teeth and is a chewing machine.

4. C908

C908 Member

We have one that also likes wood but has improved since he is now 20 months. Just make sure you have plenty of chew toys, we like Nylabone and Kong products. Our boys absolute favorite thing is a black Kong Extreme ball. As for food I would recommend you stop feeding Science Diet. The vets love to push Science Diet, it's average food at best. Do a little research and read reviews about food, you will be glad you did. There will be others that will add to what I have said. Our choice was Fromm which can be purchased online. We do business with a company called Petflow.com. great customer service. I had never heard of them until our breeder recommended them to us. Good luck !

5. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

My worry would be sprinters and/or an intestinal blockage. Both of which can endanger her life.
    firstly, I would advise against scolding her. You are giving her attention and remember scolding is better than no attention at all and could possibly make matters worse.
    Boredom creates unwanted behaviour so make sure she’s receiving adequate physical and mental stimulation for her age.
    Science diet is absolute crap. Search for a good quality 4-5 star ALS kibble (All life stages) it could be a simple change of diet that is required.

You can search for better quality kibbles here....Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I agree that she could be lacking something in her diet since the SD isn't the best. Our dog have never liked sticks or anything but I think it was Della who decided our coffee table would be a good thing to teethe on.
    Coffee table damage Sept 09.jpg

• Wow x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Just realised I put ‘sprinters’ instead of ‘splinters’ but you all know what I mean. Sorry!

Going back to this, it might be advisable to use the tethering (umbilical cord) approach to curb this behaviour. This way you can instantly correct her via the leash.
    There are so many positives to this approach, for example...it creates awareness, calmness and gets them use to the leash in a low-distraction environment.
    A firm, direct correction is what is required. It takes consistent supervision so the corrections come at the right time in order to be effective. The tethering approach can be a tremendous tool.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Look at the coffee table corner, then look at the bottom left corner of the picture. Anyone else get the illusion that the photo has been chewed on too :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 5
  9. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

LOL, it does look like that but it was part of the couch and a blanket in the corner.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kimberlyst

Kimberlyst New Member

Thanks for the all the great advice! Yes she has all her permanent teeth. I am home with her 24/7. I work from home so she gets plenty of attention. Maybe too much... that might be the problem.... spoiled!! She is 6 months. I’ve never crated her because I’m here all the time. She hops up on the couch and takes a nap during the day while I’m working... goes in and out as she pleases... and basically whatever she pleases.. again.. spoiled. My 13 year old Dobie that was the love of my life that I lost in June was never crated either. I had someone come to the house and pet sit for her during the years I still went to the office. I remember her being a handful too but not so wood obsessed. One thing they both have in common is nipping. This one will just walk up to me and nip me and then run! Funny not funny My Bella did that too. I miss her so much....

• Empathetic Empathetic x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  11. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Posts like this make feel so fortunate!
    A Maxie, and 2 Dobermans, and never ever issues like that.
    Some of our furniture is old, real old.

When Daisy was a puppy we had a dining room table that was about 112 years old.
    My wife’s moms, something or other, lol. Old!
    Was one of my biggest worries/fears when getting her.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

I agree with others here, I would change foods first off. All life stages is better than large breed. Also try to find a good quality 4-5 star rated food.
    The rolled up newspaper comment made me laugh. This is an old school correction and should never be used.
    Not crate training your dog is the other area that is probably causing your problem. Dogs need down time just like a child needs to take a nap during the day or they get cranky. You being home just makes the problem worse. Your dog needs a routine with scheduled breaks in its kennel. This Keeps them safe and allows you time to do things with out constantly watching them.
    Good luck with your training.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm grateful every day I never had anything destroyed. Of course the fact that they are tethered to me the first few months probably has something to do with it. Add in I'm a firm believer in crate training and the results are everything in my house survives puppy hood.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. luckybeemer

luckybeemer Jr Member

Glad I found this page.....Remi is constantly trying to eat branches, sticks, tree limbs. I am sure it didn't help that my dh gave her a small tree limb early on as well as let her dig. All these unwanted habits have been allowed during his puppy sitting sessions while I am working. He claimed I don't mind her digging in the garden spot:banghead:. Well, yes she has other holes that she created while he left her outside on the long line either during his lunch hour or while he didn't want to deal with her after work, before I returned home. Needless to say, I have tougher battles to fight now from his allowances.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 2