1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

doberman in animal control

Discussion in 'Rescue & Adoption' started by zoorox, May 27, 2009.

1. DoberDon

DoberDon Hot Topics Subscriber

We'd love to have you and as much of your family as would like to come anytime!! We typically go to early church and get home by 11am,but any other time would work,I'm even home working on our house weekdays.
    Could I ask how you hear about these dobes? Does the county post on a web site?
    Sometimes looks can be decieving but he sure has a sweet expresion!!

2. zoorox

zoorox Notable member

don I have a friend who started a rescue to help the dogs in that pound....called save a stray. she herself goes to the pound every 2-3 days and takes pictures of them and pulls as many as she can to put into foster homes. she knows my love is for dobermans so she calls me when she sees one :) lookie at sweet JJ........who by the way has no idea who JJ is???? must not have been his name! he totaly ignores it. he does have some sort of respitory infection.....super gooie eye...sneezing....and his tail end looks infected and oozie.....he also has a very poor coat super dull and dry...I can see and feel his top spine although he doesnt look thin.I think a bad case of worms.......so without further waiting meet JJ the dog with a ball!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. zoorox

zoorox Notable member

pretty huh! nice super dark dobe

4. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Aww, what a sweetheart! You're such an angel Zoo, and thank you for all you do for the poor guys in need. :)

5. zoorox

zoorox Notable member

ya know the more I think about his tail.......the more I think someone cut it off! the end is raw and oozie....he is 2 years old......acording to the note. very strange....I will have the vet take a closer look when he is under for the de-nutter

6. MLR

MLR Novitiate

I don't know about your theory on the tail Zoo. At his age if it was recently done wouldn't the bone be sticking out? Just asking. I can't see it up close like you can. He looks to be in much better shape than Chance was. What I always do when I take in a rescue is start with all the vowel sounds until they respond to one of them. Might not be their original name but if they look at you you know you're close. Makes me want to hug my guys real close whenever I see one like this. How could anyone just leave him like that? Grrrr.

7. zoorox

zoorox Notable member

I dont know MLR he is 2 and I cant see any reason why it wouldnt be totaly healed. the end is raw and open....I dont see bone but I see like dark blood stump and it is oozing puss. my fist thought was someone took a pair of branch trimmers to it. I will for sure have my vet take a look when he is under and get it cleaned up.

8. MLR

MLR Novitiate

Ewww. That makes me cringe to even think about. Could you use peroxide on it just to help it along in the meanwhile? Another thing just occured to me. If he was kept outside a lot it might be fly bites. Those things can lay their eggs underneath the skin and cause erruptions like what you're describing. I had that happen with a litter of kittens I fostered which came from a barn. Lots of flys in that situation.

That's all you can do Zoo; ask the vet I mean. Good thing he's with you now. I know he'll get better in no time. I wonder if he's chewed it raw himself? Herc had a couple of places that were starting to get raw one year and it was from him chewing flea bites that were itching him. Again, you're there with him, I'm not. Poor guy. I hate to see any animal suffer. When does he go in to see the vet?

9. deladobies

deladobies Member

Can you get pics of the tail for us zoo... Im inerested to see what your talking about

10. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Gosh, I Hope it's not cut by someone! I can't even think about that! But MLR might have something there with the flies. I know sometimes Buddy will have a fly sitting at the tip of his tail! Like they know it's a hard spot to reach quickly. Grrrr......

11. DoberDon

He's gotta be feeling totally stressed out,maybe he's showing the stress by chewing his stump? My Ice had a butcher job on her tail and the end was always bare,I can remember it bleeding lightly a couple times just from being inadvertainly scratched.

12. zoorox

zoorox Notable member

so I have a funny tale.....last night I instructed my husband mike ....when he gets up in the morning for work to lock our dogs in the bathroom before he removed JJ from the crate. as JJ is in isolation untill he gets his vet call. with upper respotory I dont want it to spread to my dogs.

I called the vet and made a appointment for JJ at 3:20 today.

mike calls me from work to tell me what a good boy JJ was this morning...he goes on and on......I tell him I made the vet apointment. mike say's.......well ya know if nobody wants him we can just keep him. I was thinking we can name him atlas...ha! it was all I could do to restrain my laughter! it seems my husband has turned into a doberman lover and has dreams of his new bud atlas...hahahahahaaa! too funny.......

13. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

You know your saying.........Dobes are for life! Hubby just caught on! ;) :)

14. zoorox

zoorox Notable member

bad news on JJ aka atlas......just got home from his vet call. his eye is a injury and has a ulcer.....can be treated....she gave him a HUGE shot of antibiotic and OMG you would have thought he was hit by a car! he screamed bloody murder and even after the shot was removed he crumpled to the floor crying and withering in pain.....rolled over on his back.it was quite a sight! I have never in my life seen a dog do even a fraction of the show he put on! so by this time his heart worm test is finished and he is heartworm positive :(. being the softie that I am he is now at the vets under watch to see if he is healthy enough to get his treatment. I hate to be a begger.......but really guys and gals if you are in the helping mood it would be greatly apreciated any donations twords saving this sweet boy would melt my heart.

edit to add......ya know I cried all the way home.....I just feel so bad for him

15. zoorox

zoorox Notable member

I called the vet this morning and atlas-AKA jj is doing great! he had his first dose and gets another today. he might come home tomorrow

16. MLR

MLR Novitiate

What did the vet say about his tail?

17. DoberDon

Glad to hear JJ's doing well,does this mean the heartworm isn't very progressed?
    It's one thing if someone's lost their job and has to surrender their dog,but with JJ having all these problems and obviously not being on heartworm prevention his former owner shouldn't be allowed to ever have another animal!! He really looks like he's got a great personality in the picts!

18. DoberDon

What's really sad is that I wonder if his reaction was from never having experienced getting a shot before? Did the vet give an estimate of the heartworm treatment cost?

19. zoorox

zoorox Notable member

last I knew the treatment was anywhere between 400.00 and 600.00 :(.....I didnt have her go into detail with the charge yet. I know it is expensive.....she told me to ask if the shealter had any programs to help with it.I did and all they offer is the 10 day refund if you return the dog. well I would never hand him over to be put down....so thats that. I am pretty sure my vet will try to give me a cut rate somehow.....maybe not charge for boarding or something??? I hope! she is a nice lady so I can hope lol!!!! I knew I would be looking at atleast 4-5 hundred for his chip-neuter- shots- and basic check and was prepared for that.I just was not expecting the heartworms.

she said it all depended on how bad he had them.....she said the line was dark pink so he had them pretty good....not a really light case. I think she may be waiting to give me a price after she sees what it takes to do him? like she might charge me as little as she can.....again.....I hope....either way I will work it out. I made up some kitchen towels I sell for 10.00 shipped. my plan is to try to sell a few to help on his bill.

the tail didnt get a real good looking at since other things where more pressing..... she cleaned it up and said the antibiotics for his respitory infection would work on that also.

after he gets home he has to be on strict rest for 4-5 weeks no running and playing....just rest. poor guy

20. hrd2gt

hrd2gt Well-Known Member

that poor guy... gawd... i would help ... but... you DO NOT want to know what i had to put down for saving Fate, wouldnt have it any other way though :)