Doberman History

F

FredC

The breed originated in Germany, around 1900, taking its name from Louis Dobermann of Apolda, a tax collector, who desired a medium size dog to perform as a guard dog as well as companion. Breeds utilized to develop the Doberman Pinscher may have included, the old shorthaired shepherd, Rottweiler, Black and Tan Terrier and the German Pinscher.

The properly bred and trained Doberman has proved itself as friend and guardian, As is developed, its qualities of intelligence and ability to absorb and retain training brought it into demand as a police and war dog.

The Doberman Pinscher Club of America, founded in 1921 has continued to this day to foster the breed.

a couple of good links on Dobermann history

This text is a small part of the Philipp Grünig book “The Dobermann Pinscher”. Published originally 1934. Translated by Maximilian von Hoegen 1939.

This is published without the permission of the copyright owners F.F.H.Fleitmann and Howard K. Mohr. Publisher is Howell Book House Inc. 730 Fifth Avenue New York, N.Y. 10019.

This will be taken away immediately after the copyright owner’s information.
http://www.sdy.fi/jalostus/HistoryOfDobermannBreed-Gr.html

Info From Dobermann Review

http://www.dobermann-review.com/wp/general/21/history-of-dobermann

Dobermannin historia

http://www.sdy.fi/jalostus/Dobermannin_historia.html

Over 300 most used males of all time based on officially registered offsprings in Germany.
All males with 75 and more offsprings. Pictures, Pedigrees and Inbreeding Co-efficients

http://www.sdy.fi/jalostus/300Males.pdf

World famous dobermann kennels from different countries. Including complete (where available) list of litters. Pedigrees and inbreeding co-efficients.

http://www.sdy.fi/jalostus/Famous_Dobermann_Kennels.html

Winnerdogs of all important shows through history, DV-Siegers, Bundessiegers, IDC-Siegers and Reichssiegers. Including pictures (where available) and pedigrees.
DV SIEGERS 1920-2007
REICHSSIEGERS 1934-1941
BUNDESSIEGERS 1948-2006
IDC-SIEGERS 1959-2006

http://www.sdy.fi/jalostus/DV_Siegers_1922-2005.html

http://www.sdy.fi/jalostus/Reichssiegers_1934-1941.html

http://www.sdy.fi/jalostus/Bundessiegers_1948-2005.html

http://www.sdy.fi/jalostus/IDC_Siegers_1959-2005.html

Here in England we are told that the terrier that was used for the breed was a Manchester Terrier,take a look on a search engine at one its quite spooky.
Also over here we have 2 versions of the dobermann,the American import the type most of your members have and the European Dobermann which is slightly more burly set in stature.I myself have one of each!
We are also told how the American side of the breed came about,it was in WW2 when American GI's came over to fight side by side with the Allies. They required a dog to guard camps and smell out the enemy,so Eisenhauer choise the dobermann.The GI's were so took with the dobermann breed they took them back to the U.S. when the war was over to start a breeding programme in the US Army.In this programme they mixed the dobermann again with the American boxer dog,thus provided the dobermann with high capacity of energy and staminar.This changed the dobermanns shape to a slightly leaner and more leggy stance.This we are told is how the american side of the breed came about!
If anyone out there has been told a similar story please share it with me!

Hmm thats intresting Chris, Although i admit ive never heard that b4. As far as i know it was the show breeders here in the US that produced the American Doberman Pinscher as we know it today. But then maybe im confussing the lack of any real nerve from our show lines. I also have a pair of Euro's and an American Doberman. The two really couldnt be more different. OF course no two dogs are gonna be exactally alike so i dunno. Id love to hear more on the subject if anybody has anything to add...

Yer me too Von seperate fact from fiction! so whats your opinon on the Euro dobe? mine his head is wider than the American we have got and they carry a few more pounds.there teeth arrangement is different too i find.I am glad you have got Euro's they are crackajack animal.

haha Well without trying to start any Drama. There is only one Dobermann for me. I love the international standard, and believe it should be adopted here. Its no secret to anybody here that i believe the AKC has ruined our Doberman Pinschers. There work ethics are good as long as that work dosent take to much nerve. I understand there are exceptions. but the general rule here is that in order to get a good schutz candidate, you need an European bred doberman. American Dobermans rarely if ever go on to Schutz II. Dont get me wrong Lord Mars is American and my favorite for temperment. the Euros are crazy hyper. compared to Mars. So besides the Differance in Physical structure. (ive seen some amazing american lines) I myself do perfer the European dobermann as a whole..

Thanks for that Von,it was really interesting.At Crufts last year which i suppose you have heard of,was the first time that a American won the Working breed.I think they are so elligant in looks.
Believe it or not when i take them both out over to the park we get stopped regularly and i get asked why have i got a Dobe and a rotty,when i explain what he is they are amazed!Its because of all the films,music vids that everyone watch's here are American and when they see a Dobe on the tv its an American so most of the general public think the American is the breed standard!But one thing is the American is as rare as rocking horse poop over here.I am determined to import a American white here soon.
Cheers Von

Speaking on the American Dobermanan crufts. Yeah my mentor made damn sure i knew about that ;)

As far as anything else i think about the 2 standards there just my opinions. I do respect everyone elses opinions on the subject. and sometimes actually learn somthing and my mind is not in stay stuck mode it can be swayed with the right arguement and facts ;)

I dont think anybody knows what specifically makes up the doberman. Dobermann did not keep any records of his program while creating Mans perfect Dog ;)

Here in England we are told that the terrier that was used for the breed was a Manchester Terrier,take a look on a search engine at one its quite spooky.
Also over here we have 2 versions of the dobermann,the American import the type most of your members have and the European Dobermann which is slightly more burly set in stature.I myself have one of each!
We are also told how the American side of the breed came about,it was in WW2 when American GI's came over to fight side by side with the Allies. They required a dog to guard camps and smell out the enemy,so Eisenhauer choise the dobermann.The GI's were so took with the dobermann breed they took them back to the U.S. when the war was over to start a breeding programme in the US Army.In this programme they mixed the dobermann again with the American boxer dog,thus provided the dobermann with high capacity of energy and staminar.This changed the dobermanns shape to a slightly leaner and more leggy stance.This we are told is how the american side of the breed came about!
If anyone out there has been told a similar story please share it with me!

The Doberman and the Boxer were the favored breed for the US Military, but specifically the Marine's favored the Doberman as they slept with our boys in the fox holes and took out the enemy at night when they would try to ambush. I have owned one of each previously and absolutely can attest for their loyalty, intelligence and ability to take a brother out in defensive maneuvers. Love love love them both

The GI's were so took with the dobermann breed they took them back to the U.S. when the war was over to start a breeding programme in the US Army.In this programme they mixed the dobermann again with the American boxer dog,thus provided the dobermann with high capacity of energy and staminar.This changed the dobermanns shape to a slightly leaner and more leggy stance.This we are told is how the american side of the breed came about!

This is unfounded - and is not in any of the history as recorded down through the ages. There were Dobermans here before the war - during WWII American breeders sent they Dobermans to the military to help the war effort. If you research you will see that the stud books were already closed.

I love the international standard, and believe it should be adopted here. Its no secret to anybody here that i believe the AKC has ruined our Doberman Pinschers.

Von it is not the standard that ruins any breed - it is the pure conformation ring, the judges and the breeders. If you read you will see that the European show dogs are not consider or respected highly by the working purists. Both standards call for a strong fearless temperament. In fact they are very close in description.

This is unfounded - and is not in any of the history as recorded down through the ages. There were Dobermans here before the war - during WWII American breeders sent they Dobermans to the military to help the war effort. If you research you will see that the stud books were already closed.

They were not totally off. I am prior service and was stationed overseas, Germany and Panama being one of my personal favorites ;) Here is a great article on our favorite War Hounds. The DPCA did however earn the privilege to procure the beasties and test them out.
ww2-001.jpg

Dobermans of World War II

When I had my Dobes, people would stop me all the time and say " oh we have a miniature doberman at home" or " my buddy has some Warlock dobermans " lol. My understanding is the min pin was around way way before the doberman was and they do share one ancestor but their not " the same just a smaller version "

pretty sure I have read they were exported out of Germany pre WWI,and on into the war to try and preserve the blood lines?No?
Some went to the States some to other countries in Europe.

Ive been thinking and was wondering about the hyperness of the doberman. Do you think that has been there from the beginning? When I think of what Mr. Doberman wanted I think of a bodyguard or like the secret service. They are always right next to who they are protecting. In the background but ever vigilant. Always watching, scanning looking for the threat. They dont call attention to themselves. Can move in a heartbeat to throw themselves in front of you or take down the threat. I picture Mr Doberman walking the streets going to collect the taxes and I cant imagine him wanting a hyper, spaz dog that he has to try to control along with everything else. Any thoughts?

I picture Mr Doberman walking the streets going to collect the taxes and I cant imagine him wanting a hyper, spaz dog that he has to try to control along with everything else. Any thoughts?
Totally agree. Not the same dog that Mr. Doberman developed. After a long day of collecting taxes and he comes home to put up with whining? LOL. Nope. Or even 70 years ago, the Devil Dogs of WWII, I'm betting those dogs were not needy. BUT, inbreeding for 100+ years aside, those dogs had a job. A days-long job. A never-a-dull-moment job. They were not crated 8 hours or more while master went to work, then walked around the block or play fetch for 20 minutes. So there's that.

Back