Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

doberman attention bitting

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Alexaraee93, May 15, 2019.

Tags:
?

?

1. ??

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ??

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Alexaraee93

Alexaraee93 New Member

my 10 month old ever since he turned about 4 months always liked to chew on me any chance he got and still now if he doesn't get his way he snaps and snaps at me like a spoiled brat!! any recommendations on how to stop his non stop biting? he doesn't do it in a bad way... doesn't realize his strength... any one else go thru this??? he was sent away to board and train for manners and off leash training but the biting is an issue still..

• Empathetic Empathetic x 2
  2. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Correct him for biting you, tell him NO then correct. It has to be everytime, you should have started this when he was 4 months. The correction has to have meaning.

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. Firestar Dobe

Firestar Dobe $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

We always snapped their nose with our fingers and said "No bite", it worked for us. Trying to get their attention elsewhere, like on a toy or bone, didn't work for us! You may have to try several different tactics before you find the one that works. Just make sure you are consistent!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I always did a scruff and fluff and by the time they were 5mo old they quit doing it to me. My female would continue to do it to my husband (very gently but still) until I finally told him he had to get serious with them. I would give a stern NO, then scruff if they kept on. Now when I say no they respond immediately.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Does he get enough physical exercise? Ample exercise can modify his unwanted behaviour.
    Mental stimulation? Add ‘boredom’ to excess energy and you have a surefire recipe for disaster. He may be looking for something to do with his excess energy and is trying to engage you with his teeth.

It sounds like it’s been going on for far too long. Correct him and remember to show no emotion and keep calm. Dogs don’t intuitively understand how we want them to behave. It’s our job to teach them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

If he isn't taking you seriously when given verbal commands you might have to be a bit physical. Grabbing the scruff like Bri said worked well for me. However there were times mine thought it was all a game and didn’t quit. I firmly and quickly grabbed his lower jaw when he was biting me and said no.

He really doesn’t get nippy now unless I get him going. Now ill stick a toy in his mouth and divert his energy to that. Mine is only 5mths old so I still expect him to get mouthy. I only do the lower jaw thing if he bites me unusually hard.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

Agree with all of the above and I went through this too. It took a while to find the method that worked for me, but I hadn't found this forum at the time and there is a lot of really good advice to be found here. I also agree that at 10 months it is past time for him to stop doing this. If you do a thread search and look for biting puppies you will find a wealth of information to read through! Keeping your cool and your sense of humour will be difficult but will make things easier too as they read us like a book! :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2