Doberman always shivering

Teenflon5

Novitiate
Hello,

I have a 13 month old Doberman who is a little small for her age but a great little puppy! I notice she shivers a lot! Often when laying on me she starts to shiver, her ears are cold but her belly is ok, she just seems very sensitive to cold! The temperature in here is 18°c and she is shivering! My other dog is a Labrador who I think has only shivered when on a boat in 0°c. Are Doberman just very sensitive to cold? We have a wood fire and she loves to sit in front of it even if it’s too hot!

I’m certain there is nothing wrong with her but anything less than 20°c and she doesn’t like it if she’s not running around outside!

My Doberman loves the fire and also loves to lay out in the sun. She doesn't mind the cold outside if she's active but hates the house to be cold. So I'd say your dog is about normal although mine doesn't shiver unless it gets down to about 60 F in the house. Also, being in England, you have a "damp cold" which feels much colder than the same temperature in a dry climate.

Buy her a sweater, jacket. Many Dobermans do not like being cold while others are not especially bothered by it.

Labs by nature are usually fond of cooler weather since they have a thicker coat and are not bothered by the cold weather.

I find when my girls ear tips are cold in the house she is cold too. If she's moving around she's fine but laying down she will shiver to make us give her a blanket (or be vocal about it) and then she's happy. It's very akin to a fit athlete being cold easily in the house. Very normal as dobes don't have a double coat like a lab or the natural layer of fat to keep them warm.

Back