Dober Teens

GinnyKang

Hi Everyone!

My girl Gin has turned 9 months. I’m noticing some behavioral changes such as:

-CHEWING. Thankfully, she is aware of what are her chew appropriate toys. However, she’s really going in on Nyla bones that she wasn’t even interested in for months!!
-Sniffing. She seems to be sniffing more posts, lamps, fire hydrants, etc… my guess is these are giving scents of a male marking.
-Waking up earlier. What use to be our routine of getting up at 6-630am, she’s starting whining to get up earlier at 530am.
-Heel training, out the window haha. I guess I have to restart!
-Barking. When she heard a noise she would normally just bark once or twice but now she’s full on guard dog. Takes a little more to get her settled when she hears a noise in the house.

I don’t have her spayed yet. I’m gonna wait til 1-1.5 years. I don’t particularly have any questions but just sharing some observations.
I have been letting her have more freedom in the house though throughout the day. I have been contemplating to go back to crating her more often in the day.

Any other behavioral changes I should expect?AD9A3B0C-C99D-4DCE-9CD9-5E265A867EBB.jpegEB7A6FB2-6ECE-4ECC-8754-D83F7780FA95.jpeg

Firestar Dobe

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
Sounds normal to me as well. What other changes can you expect? Anything you can think of! At this age she is like a 2 or 3 year old toddler who wants to test their boundaries, and being as smart as Dobes are expect a lot of testing! She is an adorable girl!

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
All sounds normal to me! Just be on top of rewarding her for reconnecting with you after you check the situation she's barking at out. Once my girl started maturing around that age shortly after her first heat it was night and day in behavior. Shes always been confident but she decided she did not care for strangers like puppy her did. Depends on the situation on what she's allowed to react to. Strange people coming up to house, absolutely but once I check it out and give her the "thank you that's enough" she knows to stand down basically. In public, she's allowed to look but not stare. I give her 5 seconds then ask her to connect with me and reward. Might have to involve physically heeling into them to initially break that stare. But if you stick with it soon they'll know they can look and then look up to you to see what your face is saying about the situation. If I don't look bothered she isn't either!

Also, at first glance I saw a doberman and Coronado and my brain went "Dobernado Park" 🤣

GinnyKang

All sounds normal to me! Just be on top of rewarding her for reconnecting with you after you check the situation she's barking at out. Once my girl started maturing around that age shortly after her first heat it was night and day in behavior. Shes always been confident but she decided she did not care for strangers like puppy her did. Depends on the situation on what she's allowed to react to. Strange people coming up to house, absolutely but once I check it out and give her the "thank you that's enough" she knows to stand down basically. In public, she's allowed to look but not stare. I give her 5 seconds then ask her to connect with me and reward. Might have to involve physically heeling into them to initially break that stare. But if you stick with it soon they'll know they can look and then look up to you to see what your face is saying about the situation. If I don't look bothered she isn't either!

Also, at first glance I saw a doberman and Coronado and my brain went "Dobernado Park" 🤣
LOVE that. I’ll be sure to reinforce check ins at home. I do better out of the house since I always have my treat pouch on hand lol. I’m looking forward to being done with her first heat. I’m always on edge I feel like I’ve been just thinking, is this it? Is it gonna happen soon? She’s acting different.
lol I just want to be done with it 🤣. I wish they’d name the park Dobernado 🤣🤣🤣

Tropicalbri's

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
She may be coming into heat and her personality is changing with it to a degree.
Each dobe acts different and some may get testy or loving, needy, whiney. They all seem to be different but I would keep an eye on her for starting her cycle.

Kaiser2016

I haven’t had a female before, but it does sound normal teen behavior. They go through a phase where it seems they ‘forget’ all their training, but once they get through that stage, they remember everything. Also sounds like females do mature sooner than males, my boy was stuck in teenage mode for years it seemed :rofl: I like the idea of regular crating so they stay comfortable with it as a safe place. In particular if you’d be leaving her home alone for an extended period and you might not trust what she’d chew on.

GinnyKang

She may be coming into heat and her personality is changing with it to a degree.
Each dobe acts different and some may get testy or loving, needy, whiney. They all seem to be different but I would keep an eye on her for starting her cycle.
She is testy for sure. It seemed like all of a sudden she kinda just changed in personality a bit. Just a bit sassy!
I haven’t noticed any swelling…. Yet. But I did order some reusable/washable doggo panties