DIY Flirt Pole

kashi

Hot Topics Subscriber
I found this online and I am going to give it a bash on the weekend as it looks fairly simple and effective. Though I would share it with you. I will let you know once I have made one.

How to make a Flirt Pole:
1. For a medium to large size dog, buy a 4-6 foot long 3/4″ PVC pipe, 10-15 feet of rope, and a dog toy.

2. Thread the rope through the pipe and tie a knot at either end of the pipe, to keep rope from sliding in and out.

3. Tie a toy to the end of the rope.

4. Optional: buy fun colored electrical tape (finally an excuse to buy lime green tape!) and wrap the pvc pipe so it’s all fancy schmancy pants.

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/04/24/flirt-pole/

flirt-pole-meme.jpg

@MyBuddy I don't have anything that cool at my disposable, so going to have to go this route. I am sure the horse lunge whip makes and excellent flirt pole.

We use the lunge whip also, just tie a tug, skinny or ball to the end and watch them go nuts.. Like this one
c24147b074f48f6dce77429292cf2924.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Dixie and Sophie need one of these. For some reason they seem to think that they are entitled to the cats' similar toys on a stick. Poor cats never get to play, the minute they start, both Dobes pounce on the toy.

Somehow one the way to buy supplies for the flirt pole I went to the vet and bought a starters agility set instead! what is wrong with me?
karlie-31868-2.jpg

It is tested earlier very cool. Great news is vet said I should start training here as there is a demand and no trainer! Just spend the afternoon designing flyers and quick website.

Nice turorial! Thanks for sharing!

Cool!! I am in the process of building some jump pole sets and plank boards for OB and AG.

Think you found a new hobby ;)

Thanks for this idea. I was thinking of something similar but your method looks more simple. I'm going to try making an in-ground tug toy off of this idea.
I'm going to use a longer pole and drill a hole about 16" from the bottom. I'll thread the string out that hole and tie the knot there. Then I'm going to cut the end of the bottom to an angle so it will go into the ground easier. Hopefully get it far enough into the ground where the knot is ground level.
I already bought a flirt pole from Redline K9 and my dog loves it. I hope he will play tug against a pole so he can entertain himself

I wouldn't encourage a dog to be content self soothing on a toy. The play should be with you not a pole in the ground. A dog Taft learns to play and fave fun without you will be a much harder dog to train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your concern. I work from home and spend 24x7 with my dog. Instead of tying him up or leaving him in the house when I mow the lawn, I would like to give him something to do.

My first attempt needs improvement. First I made the pole too long - 10'. Second, the place where I drilled a hole weakened the pole and looks like it might break. I'm going to shorten the pole and try using a 3 way splitter instead of drilling a hole. On the top of the pole, I added an L shaped adapter, a 1' piece of PVC and then another L adapter. That keeps the rope and toy away from the pole and since the adapters have rounded edges it should add to the life of the rope. I'll get pictures once I get it functional.

image.jpg It's raining so we haven't had much time to test.
My pup pulled on it for a few minutes in the rain. It seemed like the 3 way adapter might be loose. I tried knotting the rope around it although I don't know much about knots. May need some adhesive to secure it.

My pup pulled on it for a few minutes in the rain. It seemed like the 3 way adapter might be loose. I tried knotting the rope around it although I don't know much about knots. May need some adhesive to secure it.
It looks good! Some will just use a tree branch or something similar with a stretchy rope or bungee so it has some give.

Thanks. After the rain stopped we had more play time. The adapters will definitely need some adhesive. After a few minutes of pulling they came apart.

Back