• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Discussion "Avoiding the Accident"

F

FredC

This Question was raised in another thread, And moved here I personally think it is a good question and deserving of its own place here. So here it is, Debate away.

DLS said:
Worries me that so many unplanned/accidental pups have entered the world in 'breeders' homes over the years. What mistakes keep getting repeated? I am not trying to be pissy, I really want to know, how do we stop these 'mistakes' from ever happening again. Especially in this world that is so overpopulated with dogs that so many are unwanted and killed every minute of every day.

1. Realize a male dog will walk across hell and back to breed with a female in heat is one thing that can be changed LOL
2. No matter the size difference...where there's a will there's a way! I know a friend of mine that had a female Rottweiler (107 lbs) and she left her unsupervised with her 4 lbs Chihuahua male....58 days later she had 7 of the UGLIEST puppies I've ever seen.
3. A male dog that old enough to life its leg is old enough to get a bitch pregnant......

I have had males chew threw a plastic Vari Kennel - I have had males destroy a wire crate (one of the better ones) - I have had a male chew through two doors of the garage to get to a bitch that was in a crate. I have had males chew threw their crate - and the door to the basement to get at a female in a another plastic crate. What finally worked for me - was to have the male on drugs during the heat cycle.

I have also put the males in a friends kennel - several miles away!! LOL . Gordon's are just amazing at their stubborness to obtain "that" which they want... lol

We must have knew the same woman with the Chi...lol The bitch I knew, dug a hole for her butt to stand in...lmao

Say this is an educational thread!....I (and I'm sure others) never realized the insane extents a male would go to.

Oh wait, guess if I think back to my younger years, yeah....I should have known.:D

The easiest way to avoid an "accident" is to fix your dogs unless you are an experienced proper breeder. Don't keep dogs of opposite sex in the same home unfixed EVER. It's really not that complicated.

The easiest way to avoid an "accident" is to fix your dogs unless you are an experienced proper breeder. Don't keep dogs of opposite sex in the same home unfixed EVER. It's really not that complicated.

You are right, but I can't agree that you should have to fix your dogs if you aren't breeding them. My dog is not fixed nor is he being bred. If I so chose to do conformation, it would still be an option for me. Personal choice of my bf and I. I suppose if you have two opposite sex dogs, and the female comes in season, boarding the male dog is a good option.

Unfortunately for me at the time... I was a breeder and was fortunate to have gone to Westminsters on three different occassions - so spay/neuter was not an option I considered.
I now own pets however and all three of my current boys were neutered at young ages - they have "no" children on the ground. None of the dogs that I have owned in the last 15 years have been whole...
While I do think most people should spay/neuter because of the eventual overall health of a dog/bitch - it is just not something everyone wants to do. There are those that like to work their dogs and hold their options open.
True -being fixed is the ultimate birth control...but not something everyone should feel forced to do.

I think in my and Delas case... KEEP MEN AWAY FROM THE DOGS!!!!!

My first accident litter was caused by my dad... and the next two even though I THOROUGHLY TOLD HIM... was because of my EX!!!! He didnt learn even after his 2nd time!!! Was her two first heats... needless to say her azz got fixes asap after that... They werent even 1 yet :(

Karma... no man in my life (well he was stationed 8 hours away) Safely got her fixed before her first heat, and I wanted to get her done sooner!! NO MORE OOPS!!

(btw, in case anyone takes this as a man bashing response.. well.. it kinda is :D)

This is a good thread, I wonder how breeders that are reputable deal with this? I know a lot of breeders use outside stud, but if you have your own male and your bitches come in heat, what do they do to prevent accidents? I know a male will go through hell and back for an in heat female. Daemon was around a in heat pug not to long ago, but honestly did not seem to care one bit. I figure its his age, hes only 9 months old..

This is a good thread, I wonder how breeders that are reputable deal with this? I know a lot of breeders use outside stud, but if you have your own male and your bitches come in heat, what do they do to prevent accidents? I know a male will go through hell and back for an in heat female. Daemon was around a in heat pug not to long ago, but honestly did not seem to care one bit. I figure its his age, hes only 9 months old..

yup thats why im always looking for Bitches.

hmm i think that came out right. Good thing this is a K9 board or id probably be in trouble. ;)

Seriously i would love a Show quality male. But i dont personally believe in kennels. at least not for Dobermans they are way to Human depandent. so all my dogs live with me under the same roof as me. Witch would cause a problem with Mars considering he is my best friend. I just couldnt bring another male in the house.

I understand, I don't want another male. Daemon is all the male I could want or need, but he would like a girlfriend one day down the road

woops i just meant in my personal situation. I already have one of each. And bringing an unaltered Male in this house would be big time trouble.

While I didn't have Doberman's - I showed Gordon Setters - I generally had more than one male on premises. I had 7 bitches and honestly had more problems with them fighting than the boys fighting. You end up with males that can play with one another - groups of dogs that get along - color code the crates so that someone coming in knows whos is who... lol You just can't be unconscious when you are breeding dogs.

I only had one male that was bound and determined to breed and I simply used vick's and drugs. It didn't make any difference if the girls went potty somewhere else, I could rely on the boys to let me know when the girls were coming in.

I eventually had a kennel where the girls were on one end and opposite sides from the males - yound dogs, puppies and grooming was in the middle. Most can't afford that though. I just used crates... I showed and bred for many years using this method.

Back